Motoring Discussion > Famous last words... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 10

Famous last words... - zippy
www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/politicians-road-safety-pledge-cut-25631825

Watch the video.
 Famous last words... - BiggerBadderDave
Classic observer bias. By studying it, you'll change its behaviour.

They were rubber-necking the camera crew.
 Famous last words... - Bromptonaut
>> Classic observer bias. By studying it, you'll change its behaviour.
>>
>> They were rubber-necking the camera crew.

The blue estate car that ran off the road was undoubtedly rubber necking and made matters worse by trying to reverse straight back onto the carriageway.

The subsequent minor collision may have been rubber necking too but could also have been that other classic for pile ups; failure to look well ahead.
'failure to look well ahead'

By rubbernecking the camera crew.
 Famous last words... - Runfer D'Hills
As any mountain biker can attest, if you look at something for too long, usually you’ll hit it.
 Famous last words... - Zero
yup a two wheeled vehicle goes where you look. On a motorcycle it happens faster.
 Famous last words... - VxFan
>> The blue estate car

A Lada Riva estate, if I'm not mistaken. My old chargehand had one. Built like a tank. The chassis consisted of what looked like RSJs.
 Famous last words... - Zero
Yup a lada, Utterly unable to brake in a straight line those things. Check out any russian crash video on youtube, and you'll find a Lada changing direction on hard braking.
 Famous last words... - Dog
Tuned too many of those things, and Moskvitch, Polski Fiat etc. Hated road testing 'em.
I was chauffeured around Moscow in a Riva when my x-wife's company was setting up an agency in the 90s. It was brand-spanking new with a few hundred miles on it but it rattled and creaked like a 20-year old Marina. I felt sorry for the driver, he couldn't steer it at parking speeds and he was always hunting for gears. An appalling car.

I notice they're selling brand new Nivas on Autotrader. I wouldn't mind trying one of those just for curiosity's sake.
 Famous last words... - Dog
I well remember 'doing' a Niva for a security guy at LWT back in the day.

I mistakenly drained the oil from the front diff instead of the engine oil.

:-(
Latest Forum Posts