Non-motoring > Warm Home Discount / Disability / Universal Credit Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 13

Warm Home Discount / Disability / Universal Credit - zippy
Just in case any members or partners get disability benefits....

I have mentioned a friend on here previously who until recently was very well and earning but that all changed very quickly and he is now wheelchair bound.

He gets disability allowance but the £150 rebate for Warm Home Discount has not been applied to the households account because the bills are in his wife's name.

The solution was to get him added to the bill and then call up DWP to tell them to re-issue the rebate to the energy company.

He hasn't seen the £650 Universal Credit rebate yet. Does anyone know if this will go to the person directly or to the energy company?
 Warm Home Discount / Disability / Universal Credit - Bromptonaut
The government website says:

Households on means tested benefits, including Universal Credit, Pension Credit and Tax Credits, will receive a payment of £650 this year, paid automatically in two instalments.

The first payment of £326 was made in summer. The second payment of £324 will be made by DWP to eligible customers between 8 and 23 November, and by HMRC between 23 and 30 November (to customers receiving tax credits only and no other eligible DWP benefits)

AIUI these are made to the same account as the Universal Credit is paid.

There are reported difficulties where people eligible for Universal Credit but not actually getting a payment in a particular Assessment Period (eg because tapered earnings reduced UC to nil) then they're seen as ineligible for living costs payment.
 Warm Home Discount / Disability / Universal Credit - Ted

My £324 went into my bank account a couple of weeks ago.

Ted
Cheers, Bromp & Ted, I'll ask them to go through their bank statements to double check.

I wonder if it's being done alphabetically. I'm an 'A' and my grandson is an 'M'....he hasn't got his yet .

Ted

>> I wonder if it's being done alphabetically. I'm an 'A' and my grandson is an
>> 'M'....he hasn't got his yet .

In Universal Credit I suspect it'll be paid on the payment day for the monthly Assessment Period in which it falls due.

If one gets it as a Pensioner there's some other factor like the final 'check' character in your NINO.
Just been scrolling through an internal forum regarding Universal Credit.

Adviser reports that the 'gotcha' for their client was that the got no UC in the Assessment Period that counted for this payment because they're paid 4 weekly and that was the month in which they had 2 pay packets.

Consensus is that there's no viable challenge.

I get my pension and disability allowances four weekly. This being so, it means I have 13 paydays a year. All my bills are paid monthly X 12.

Can anyone tell me where the thirteenth payment goes ? I never seem to see it ! :(

Ted
Sort of connected re the struggling to make ends meet...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63729540

My employer's unauthorised overdraft rates are a criminal 30% or thereabouts. Plus charges £15 for a letter, £15 for a returned payment, £25 for a letter about your mortgage not being paid etc. (these may be more now, I don't work in retail).

Warm Home Discount / Disability / Universal Credit - Falkirk Bairn
We get our State Pensions every 4 weeks and it is a pain in the ar5e.

Why can they not pay it on the same date every month?

We get my other pensions on the same date every month - some pay a day /2 days early if it falls on a Saturday/Sunday. One pays the first day after the weekend!

It's not that I am desperate for the money it's just annoying! It would reduce the bank charges by 7% on the millions of payments they make daily!
 Warm Home Discount / Disability / Universal Credit - Rudedog
I thought the extra £ charged for letters had gone and instead the banks had raised their unauthorised % apparently saying that it was a fairer system.

Seems it might not be all banks?
>>I thought the extra charged...

I have no idea. I try and avoid this side of the business.

That their rates are all so close must cause some curiosity for the competition commission?
>> We get our State Pensions every 4 weeks and it is a pain in the
>> ar5e.
>>
>> Why can they not pay it on the same date every month?

The simple answer is that 'legacy' benefits, that is everything except Universal Credit, are set/ calculated weekly. Changing to monthly would be a massive logistical exercise to little real end.

Payment by bank credit replaced weekly order books (or giros) which were horrifically costly to process. I don't think the financial and political cost of change would anywhere near be covered by lower cost of 12 rather than 13 credit transfers.

Although 4 weekly payment is the norm Retirement Pension and Pension Credit can be paid weekly.

If are part of a 'mixed age couple' where one is over pension age and the other is not then you're not (since 2019) eligible for Pension Credit. You have to claim Universal Credit until you're both pension age.

In that case, for UC purposes, the pension is converted to monthly (*52/12) and deducted £1/£1 from the UC entitlement. As the single state pension is more than UC's Standard Allowance (ie living expenses) for a couple you may struggle to qualify.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 25 Nov 22 at 11:56
 Warm Home Discount / Disability / Universal Credit - CGNorwich
I like the four weekly payment system. Every year there is one month where you get two payments!
Latest Forum Posts