Motoring Discussion > Fix It Again Tomorrow Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 20

Fix It Again Tomorrow - Robin O'Reliant
Looking at a Panda on Monday, 63 plate 1.2 with 56k on the clock. £3800.

Anything I should look out for?
 Fix It Again Tomorrow - Runfer D'Hills
I like Pandas.
If I could get all my stuff in one, I’d have one.
I owned 2 Mk 1 versions in the dark ages and have had many of the newer ones as renters in Italy. Just great little cars.
Not aware of any particular woes with them. Willing little things, easy to like.
 Fix It Again Tomorrow - zippy
>>I like Pandas...

Ever since the original I thought that they neatly designed car.

I had thought about the Suzuki Jimny, a very similar car and the new model is very cool - though I see that they are very expensive with some newer versions being almost as expensive as new ones.
 Fix It Again Tomorrow - Zero

>> versions being almost as expensive as new ones.

because you cant buy them new in the UK any more. Suzuki dealers are even contacting owners offering to buy their cars.
 Fix It Again Tomorrow - Zero
>> Looking at a Panda on Monday, 63 plate 1.2 with 56k on the clock. £3800.
>>
>>
>> Anything I should look out for?

Bits of interior trim drop off, but basically simple and robust. Check for rust.
I had a quick look round it this morning, clean as a whistle and not a mark anywhere. The local Indie just took it in PX, comes with a full history. If it drives well it's mine.
>>If it drives well it's mine...

Having a quick and uneducated look at Autotrader, I does appear to be a bargain.
 Fix It Again Tomorrow - slowdown avenue
found it ok yearsback asa passenger in a 4x4 panda
i test drove a new one a few years back. my opinion was a NO the gears were proper rubbery french awkward gearbox, 1st gear engagement horrid lacking brake feel, jumpy gas
 Fix It Again Tomorrow - carmalade
Check for a rusty engine sump . Common on this engine . Take it for a test drive . Some of these engines have a terrible flat spot from pull away .
 Fix It Again Tomorrow - BiggerBadderDave
I like Pandas, too.

I'd go for this one.

www.tradeclassics.com/auctions/fiat/1986-fiat-panda-4x4/
Well now Robin, are you now the owner of the Panda?
You know how this works, we now need to know colour, trim, first impressions etc!
If it is indeed yours now, I hope it proves to be a great little car for you.
>> I like Pandas, too.
>>
>> I'd go for this one.
>>
>> www.tradeclassics.com/auctions/fiat/1986-fiat-panda-4x4/
>>

That's the type I always wanted. I seem to recall the 4x4 system was built by Puch?
As mentioned upthread, I had a couple of Mk1 Pandas, a black 4 speed and a grey 5 speed. I coveted a 4x4 version at the time, but couldn’t afford one.
However, the front wheel drive ones coped very well with skiing trips etc so I didn’t feel too deprived.
They were both a a lot more fun and a lot more use than the apparent sum of their parts.
Many adventures were had in them including several trips to the Alps in winter.
 Fix It Again Tomorrow - Bromptonaut
>> That's the type I always wanted. I seem to recall the 4x4 system was built
>> by Puch?

According to Wiki the entire drivetrain (clutch, gearbox, power take-off, three-piece prop shaft, rear live axle including differential and brake) was manufactured by Steyr-Puch.
Test drive done, (Pleasnt little car to drive) deal sealed with a handshake. The car has done 56k and he has agreed to fit a new timing belt kit as it is due at 60 and is still on the original. The body comes in rather a nice white.

It turns out I vaguely know the previous owner, he is a gardener / handyman ay a care home I deliver too. I've often admired the car as it is always immaculate, I don't think I've ever seen a streak of dirt on it.

Here's hoping, I think this is the most I've ever paid for a used car. My last however many have been in the 1 - 1.5k bracket, but finding a decent old motor for those prices seems next to impossible at the moment.

Sounds good to me. Should be a great little car for a long while for you.
With a pair of bike racks upstairs and some chunky tyres on it, I’d be happy with that!
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 21 Nov 22 at 11:48
Nice one ROR, I hope that it brings you many miles of happy motoring!
 Fix It Again Tomorrow - legacylad
Indeed so. Happy motoring.
 Fix It Again Tomorrow - tyrednemotional
...saw a Panda Cross at Chatsworth yesterday with the registration RO51 GLO.

Might give you one! (ooer, Matron).
 Fix It Again Tomorrow - Manatee
We had a 2005 1.2 2nd gen in the family, bought new. We paid under £6k for it, they were very cheap at the time. Great car, lovely to drive. Electric assist steering very light, but too light on 'City' setting.

The was a 1.1 (Active) and a 1.2 (Dynamic) I believe, the 1.2 being marginally the livelier. That was the old FIRE engine.

Other than a new battery at 8 years old, and being rammed midships and written off 3 years later, nothing went wrong with it.

Assume yours is 3rd gen. Updated 1.2 FIRE I believe, now with more power - 68 vs. 59hp.

Sounds good to me.
Got it home, like it.

Latest Forum Posts