Motoring Discussion > FPN & not before time Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 46

FPN & not before time - legacylad
Home for 36 hours and a FPN, 35 in a 30 on the B6480 out of Settle.
I don’t even remember seeing the van so a fair cop...looking at the time I was taking my old mum to the dentist, and having Alzheimer’s she was probably asking me where she was going for the 17th time that morning ....

A miracle I’ve escaped points for so many years, probably 20+. I remember the same journey hammering past a wagon and caravan on a short stretch of clear dry road. I was approaching V1 rotate speed and going like the clappers. With a big grin on my ugly mug. Good job the police weren’t overhead in a helicopter.

Think it’s £100 fine, so a fiver a year is not too bad looked at like that.
 FPN & not before time - Runfer D'Hills
Might get a speed awareness course option? A “friend” went on one of those a few years ago. Not as tedious as it promised actually. Free coffee and biscuits too.
Edit - he said…
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 16 Nov 22 at 16:42
 FPN & not before time - Zero
Very tedious now, its all done on line. (a friend said)

36 hour for a NIP? damn thats fast service.
>
>> 36 hour for a NIP? damn thats fast service.
>>
Arrived LBA late on 9/11. Got done 10AM on the 11/11. Letter in post today. Deserve all I get as simply didn’t see the van. No idea why as I think I’m reasonably alert and scan the road ahead as far as viz allows. Saves on brake pads.

I’m familiar with FC camera van location. I always stick rigidly to 30 on that stretch…the bikers racing up there early on a weekend morning don’t. Before the van arrives.
 FPN & not before time - Bill Payer
>> Very tedious now, its all done on line. (a friend said)
>>
My wife did one online earlier this week - complete joke of a course. Took a couple of hours.

She got caught by a red light camera which, it turns out, also checks speed. Super annoying as it's very unusual to get a clear run through those lights and my wife always panics about red light cameras so she blipped the gas and got snapped at 35.

One word of caution is that her paperwork all happened very quickly too, and she signed up for the course as soon as offered - but it only gave her date options right at the end of the max 4 mth period allowed.

Maybe they do that on purpose for some reason, but I don't know what happens if you can't get a date as it may not default to the FPN. If it ends up being dealt with by "Court" (SJPN these days) then the fine is likely to be painful.
 FPN & not before time - Fullchat
That's a positive attitude LL. Do you not qualify for a speed seminar?

One of my visits to your turf I was sweating on a ticket from a van parked behind the railway bridge on the road Settle north to Langcliffe. Lord knows why its a 30 and then increases to a 40 as you approach the more built up area.
 FPN & not before time - Bromptonaut
We arrived home from a weekend away in the caravan to find a NIP for Mrs B. 39 in a 30 on the A5 at Weedon Bec. She never saw the camera van.

She'll dob herself in and see if she's offered a course.
 FPN & not before time - Runfer D'Hills
Have to a bit impressed that she got a Berlingo with a shed attached up to 39 eh?
;-)
 FPN & not before time - Boxsterboy
Quite unbelievably my 3-pot Berlingo has a top speed of 116mph! Not that I would want to go quite that fast in it with or without a shed in tow!
 FPN & not before time - RichardW
Interesting that at lest 3 responses here are along the lines of 'didn't see the camera'....

Surely the aim to see the signs and obey the speed limit? Then you don't need to worry about the cameras.....
 FPN & not before time - BiggerBadderDave
'Interesting that at lest 3 responses here are along the lines of 'didn't see the camera'....'

You omitted the 'a' there (lest). I certainly saw that.
I’m still racking my brains trying to think where the camera van or bike were parked up.

From the centre of Settle to the posted 40 limit, just the other side of the railway bridge, is less than half a mile, all residential. I know every yard like the back of my hand...i know some of the local police so I’ll ask them next time we meet socially.
 FPN & not before time - Manatee
Perhaps they were parked in the 40 limit? Have you seen the lenses on those things?
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 17 Nov 22 at 16:20
 FPN & not before time - Kevin
>I’m still racking my brains trying to think where the camera van or bike were parked up.

Was your vision perhaps obscured by an incorrectly worn baseball cap?

Sorry.

>> Was your vision perhaps obscured by an incorrectly worn baseball cap?

The pocket rocket scares him so much he had his eyes closed
Quite the opposite:-)

Isn’t 4WD great on soaking wet roads like today. Driving sensibly of course but so reassuring in the circumstances.
 FPN & not before time - bathtub tom
I was once stopped by plod on a piece of urban dual carriageway. I'd just come out of a crypton tune workshop (remember them?) to cure a high rev misfire, so I was taking it up through the gears. Put my hands up and said " I didn't see the camera, where was it hidden", to which plod replied "you were the only one going slow enough I dare step out in front of". We got on very well!

A few days later, I saw a kid knocked off his bike behind me - it was serious. I blocked the road and did what I could. Once the scene was settled, I was throwing up in the ditch and who should turn up?
 FPN & not before time - Rudedog
Yesterday I heard that RM would like to drop the Saturday postal delivery but have to apply to the Govt before it's approved.

If post is only delivered during the week then how might this affect the 14 day limit on FPN's?

>> Yesterday I heard that RM would like to drop the Saturday postal delivery but have
>> to apply to the Govt before it's approved.
>>
>> If post is only delivered during the week then how might this affect the 14
>> day limit on FPN's?

Not at all. The 14 days is the time it needs to be posted, not received.
 FPN & not before time - tyrednemotional
...my understanding was always that an FPN must be served within/by 14 days (which excludes the day of the offence). That would mean receipt in that timescale by the registered keeper.

There has always been an exception in that, if it had been issued to meet that timescale, and had been delayed, but there would have been every expectation of it being delivered within the required timescale (e.g, it had been sent 1st Class post on the 13th day after the offence, not being a Saturday, but taken 2 days to deliver) then it would be considered validly served.

The non-existence of deliveries on Saturdays would presumably affect that situation.

(There is no compulsion to use RM, of course, or even the post. It could be hand-delivered on Saturday/Sunday by your local PCSO or hobby-bobby on overtime ;-) )

>> The non-existence of deliveries on Saturdays would presumably affect that situation.

In practise SERVED means sent for delivery (ie posted) Served also means to the correct person at the correct address, none or late delivery is not their problem. If it was otherwise it would be an unworkable system given that there could only be 10 days in any 14 useable

As you would find out if you try to use it as a get out clause. remember its up to you to prove it is otherwise, not the other way round. The dog ate it before you saw it doesn't count either

As the Yaris jockey will attest its all pretty slick and quick now anyway.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 18 Nov 22 at 09:20
>> As the Yaris jockey will attest its all pretty slick and quick now anyway.

So can the Berlingo driver.

Alleged offence detected 11-11-22. FPN on doormat when we returned home on 15-11-22 from weekend in the caravan.
Jeez! That's slick. :(
 FPN & not before time - Biggles
Didn't somebody famous (Beckham?) get off because the lease company recorded the date of receipt and it was after the 14 days?
 FPN & not before time - CGNorwich

Section 1(1A) of the 1988 Offenders Act requires that a notice required by this section may be served upon a person:

By delivering it to him

By addressing it to him and leaving it at his last known address, or

By sending it by registered post, recorded delivery service or first class post, addressed to him at his last known address.

The Police most commonly send notices by first class post. It is rare for them to use any other method.
"The Police most commonly send notices by first class post. It is rare for them to use any other method"

Of which there is no audit trail.

I'm pretty sure that the 14 day NIP time limit has been extended to - posted within 14 days as opposed to actually delivered within 14 days.
Yes as in my post the operative phrase is

'By sending it by registered post, recorded delivery service or first class post, addressed to him at his last known address.'

"Sending" does not entail it necessarily being delivered.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 18 Nov 22 at 19:51
 FPN & not before time - Biggles
The notice still has to be served within the 14 days. With 1st class post, it is assumed to be served on the next working day after posting. BTW, Beckham was correct.
news.sky.com/story/who-is-mr-loophole-lawyer-to-the-stars-to-represent-beckham-over-speeding-charge-11510038
 FPN & not before time - Rudedog
Ok to make it simple for me to understand the time lines...

If I went past a camera and was flashed on the 1st of November at 12pm what should happen for a) it be legal or b) me to get off due to admin issues?
 FPN & not before time - Timeonmyhands
12pm cannot exist as 12 is the meridian 12.01pm can.
Recently watched something called ‘Motorway Police’ or similar. They pulled over a vehicle where the driver was watching a programme on his phone. Let him off with a warning.
It just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth when I’m done for 35 in a 30, no careless driving or undue care and attention...maybe the fact the driver, and his mate, were foreign meant the policeman thought it too much hassle.
Seriously not impressed by that course of action. Or total lack of.
>> Recently watched something called ‘Motorway Police’ or similar. They pulled over a vehicle where the
>> driver was watching a programme on his phone. Let him off with a warning.
>> It just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth when I’m done for 35
>> in a 30, no careless driving or undue care and attention...maybe the fact the driver,
>> and his mate, were foreign meant the policeman thought it too much hassle.
>> Seriously not impressed by that course of action. Or total lack of.

I passed a mobile speed camera at 35+ in a 30 in Foster's Booth up by the A5 last year. Taking the 'lingo to MK for a service. As a result spent £££ and time on a speed awareness course. If I'd had the opportunity of a chat with a copper might he have thought I was a decent old chap who could be let off with a finger wag.

Trouble with these fly on the wall programmes is that they're edited for effect. We don't actually know any more than what's been chosen to fill the hour (less selly time) for which it's scheduled. As I said a couple of days ago in the other place the fuzz have no more interest than the driver in going further than they have to.

More than once in France I've been waved through a stop once the car's UK plates were spotted.

Sometimes you're lucky and sometimes you're not.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 8 Feb 23 at 21:34
They didn’t use CGI in the editing procedure to make it look like the foreign driver, whose mate had to translate, appear to be watching a programme on his phone.

Luck has nowt to do with it. More like the copper couldn’t be assed dealing with a foreign national who was so blatantly driving like a tit
Doesn’t your car read the speed limit sign and automatically adjust your speed accordingly. Mine does and it works very well.:-)
 FPN & not before time - smokie
I can turn that on but it doesn't work well because of the way speed limit signs are done round here/the way the software works. It drops the speed limit when you turn (either a roundabout or a corner) and needs a new one after the turn to re-learn.

I don't know if it's national but the urban roundabouts around town here have a speed sign on the approach then sometimes a modifier after the roundabout but if it is still whatever the approach speed limit was then there is no sign so the car has nothing to work with.

For instance here, the road we are in is a 30mph. The sign on the left increases that to 40 for the roundabout, then if you turn left there is no modifier but straight over it has a 30.Go straight across and you get 30

www.google.com/maps/@51.4238079,-0.8414193,3a,75y,83.76h,77.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgAxQ-BbzBbiDBksf9s2SFA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
 FPN & not before time - henry k
>> For instance here, the road we are in is a 30mph.
>> The sign on the left increases that to 40 for the roundabout,
>>then if you turn left there is no modifier but straight over it has a 30.Go straight across and you get 30
>>
How would it deal with .. The road we are in is also a 30mph.
If you are turning left you have IIRC 35 feet of ....speed limit before back to 30.
If you are turning right there is a humped back bridge with a left bend from the top of the bridge
with poor sight lines and IIRC no street lights.( Google fails to follow the road view)
There is a gap in the coverage so there is no view in the other direction either ( Littleworth Road Esher)

Google road views does odd things sometimes.
A view of the famous Horseshoe bend in the river Severn.
The view dear to me from my grandma's cottage site without bits of various cars in the road.
tinyurl.com/bderyu2n
(Google view )
 FPN & not before time - Duncan
>> Doesn’t your car read the speed limit sign and automatically adjust your speed accordingly. Mine does and it works very well.:-)
>>

It's a good job the cars in Norfolk can read, because the natives of Norfolk certainly can't!
 FPN & not before time - VxFan
>> Doesn’t your car read the speed limit sign and automatically adjust your speed accordingly. Mine does and it works very well.:-)

Will it lie to the boys in blue for you on the day that it doesn't work very well ;)
>> Doesn’t your car read the speed limit sign and automatically adjust your speed accordingly. Mine
>> does and it works very well.:-)

There is a road near me that is posted 30mph, till 50 yards before a roundabout, where it becomes a 50. Your car would get you into a world of wheel twirling excitement if you let it.
>> There is a road near me that is posted 30mph, till 50 yards before a
>> roundabout, where it becomes a 50. Your car would get you into a world of
>> wheel twirling excitement if you let it.

Plenty similar round here.

Happy that the car can tell me what the limit is but don't want it accelerating to 50 of it's own volition approaching a narrow bridge.

And that's without 1200kg of caravan in the mix.
 FPN & not before time - Bobby
My car seems to have a habit of scanning speed limit signs that aren’t directly on my road, quite often will pick up speed limit signs on motorway slip roads as I pass them.

Also seems to have some limits “stored” , not sure if through satnav or what.

One particular stretch of road it changes limit from 30 to 20 and at one point I made a point of passing here with the dog on a walk and having a good look and there is no 20 sign anywhere!

>> Also seems to have some limits “stored” , not sure if through satnav or what.

Yeah they are part of the sat nav database. Economy mode uses them.
Ah!!!!

I’m gonna need to experiment with that now!
Experimented…. Made no difference!
>> Experimented…. Made no difference!

No picture of. a big boot lifting off the gas with a speed limit or roundabout symbol? I think you have a different level of Idrive to mine.
Oh I do!!

Which brings me to a thread diversion.

I can’t get apple play on my 2016 set up. I know you can retro fit android units but not too convinced by them, always put off when you see thread after thread of “fixes” and tweaks.

One company offers an actual BMW upgrade to 8.8” screen, pro nav install etc. But it’s £1200!

Having a heads up display, most of these android units don’t seem to be able to integrate to it.

And then I look at my car sitting in the drive six days a week and thinking why bother!!!

Though I do have a weeks driving holiday in Cornwall at end of May to look forward to!
 FPN & not before time - R.P.
You remind me of my V60. It had "road sign recognition" when driving on its otherwise superb selection of semi-autonamy cruise controls it would automatically default to the speed limit, A55 Colwyn Bay is a 50mph, passing under a road-bridge, it slammed on to 30mph (speed limit on the over-bridge) - bit of a shock to me and a queue of cars behind (I have no doubt)
Latest Forum Posts