Motoring Discussion > Seat Arona Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 10

Seat Arona - Zero
So the hire car at Alicante was a Seat Arona (VW T-Cross) in Black with bright white roof and Door mirrors, which visually takes a bit of getting used to! Its all sharp folds and creases.

It was a

1.0 TSI 81 KW (110 CV) DSG 7-speed X-Perience XM Edition
Front and rear parking sensor with parking assistant + Rear view camera + Wireless charger + Full LED headlights + Adaptive cruise control + Low/high beam assistant + Darkened rear windows + Illuminated air vents

As you can see. Loaded to the gunwhales with tech, some of which worked, some some of the time, and some rarely. It had full wireless Android Auto which was a: a blessing and b: a pain as it takes over your phone, Amazing how you can access all the previous renters phone books as well, none of them secured or wiped it. Took a while to find the settings to change from Spanish to English (fortunately caught a glimpse of the cog wheel icon on one screen).

Typical Seat interior, the plastics have moved on a bit to, rather than being hard and scratchy, they are now soft and bendy. Space inside very good indeed, showing how small cars (this is a polo platform) have become mid range size. Great visibility front and rear and perfect door mirrors.

Ride was compliant and quiet - very good over potholes, but ultimately under damped - at speed -120kmh- on the AP it was up and down floaty fairground Big Dipper over the undulations .

Now the gotcha.

The drive train. Trully Trully dreadful. The 3 pot power plant is rough, noisy, gutless and all round garbage. (makes the ford eco boost seem RR turbine smooth) Add to this a DSG box set to exploit the very worse characteristics of the engine (anywhere below 2.5k revs) and its headshakingly nasty and unpleasant to drive. No flappy paddallos means the box gets slapped into sport mode (ignoring the flashing message imploring you to use eco mode) as it was the only way to drive it. Even in sport the engine dips into a large noisy vibratory flat spot on pulling away. Roundabouts* you sit at in Neutral, revs at 3k, and jam the box into drive to get into the gap with tyres squealing and scrabbling.

Pity, could be a good all round car.

*Spanish roundabouts. The Spanish used to be good at them, highly aggressive but logical predictable and forgiving. Not now, timid on entry, Inside track to take first exit, or outside track to take 4th exit now commonplace. you need eyes everywhere.

The flight easyJet out of Gatwick. Wow what a dream, automated bag drop works well, security fast and efficient, no queues, Flight on time departure, early arrival.

Return? just as quick, not even queues at passport control.

The bad news is we returned with a very very VERY nasty dose of Covid (our first) So nasty that Mrs Z's sats dropped alarmingly at one point and she passed out on me. Improving now, Suspect I will be clear by tomorrow.. (so thats 10 days)

Seat Arona - legacylad
Sorry to hear about the Covid...hope you both improve soon.

As posted previously, three groups of friends rented directly with OKMobility from ALC. surprising cheaper than DYS.
It was on my recommendation and I got the worst deal...initially 20, then a further 24 days both with a C3 diesel. Total cost €511 with my own CDW.
My pal got a new Seat Leon ( hated it) then an almost new Arona FR manual. Which he really liked. He’s a dinosaur with cars and technology, far worse than me. Had to show him how to change the language, pair his phone, tune in the radio, adjust the mirrors etc etc. He has a very old Merc in the U.K.

A blip in the weather since I returned 3 days ago, but now much improved ( he was snorkelling this AM 8:00-8;30) and my walking group were out yesterday despite some flooded barrancos.

ALC was very quiet weds @ 15:00..coffee at Tim Hortons landside as no security queues, Repsol filling station deserted at El Altet ( full2 full) and RYR on time to LBA.

Can’t say I was impressed with the Arona, although I didn’t drive it.
Looking forward to returning early May post op..still deciding on ferry routes for my 4 week road trip after first 3weeks in Moraira. Dacia Duster still prime candidate to buy & sell once trip over, but I need to speak to my pal in the trade nearer the time and see what he suggests.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 13 Nov 22 at 10:55
 Seat Arona - legacylad
Roundabouts. Yes agree.
We rented close to one on a short stretch of dual carriageway into Moraira..
2 exits. Two lanes into the roundabout. First exit 12 o’clock, second 10 o’clock.
Often vehicles in lane one wanted the second exit.
Vehicles in lane two ( the overtaking Lane) wanted the first exit, thus cutting across vehicles in lane 1.
Constant round of horns blaring, several scrapes with vehicles stopping outside our apartment (Club Moraira) on the dual to exchange details. Fortunately we were on the top (3rd) floor plus roof terrace so escaped some of the noise...
 Seat Arona - smokie
"very very VERY nasty dose of Covid"

Get well soon both of you!

I've had a cough since Friday which I was convinced might be the first dose of Covid between the two of us, but so far testing negative (and I've not really been anywhere likely to catch it). it has developed into a slightly runny nose as well today but no temp or anything. I think I'd sooner not have it but if it were a mild dose that'd be OK.
 Seat Arona - zippy
>>Covid...

Echoing what Smokie says. Sincerely hope you both get over it soon!
 Seat Arona - Zero

>> Echoing what Smokie says. Sincerely hope you both get over it soon!

All the major symptoms are disappearing, about 10 days after they appeared. Mrs Z just tested +ve stilll this am, tho it took the full 15 mins for a feint line to appear, whereas last wed am when I tested it was there bright and bold in three minutes.
 Seat Arona - Runfer D'Hills
So sorry to hear about the Covid Z, can be a nasty business. Hope you are both better soon.

I’ve had it 3 times now, but y’know, didn’t go on about it… ;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 13 Nov 22 at 13:42
 Seat Arona - bathtub tom
Covid can be very nasty. We had it back in March and I was very ill for one day, SWMBO wasn't so bad but she qualified for anti-virals and I wonder if that was why. Don't you qualify Zeddo? I tested clear before her, but she kept testing positive for some time. A GP reckoned it was 'bounceback'.

You're the umpteenth folk I've heard have caught it in recent months, always after a flight!
 Seat Arona - Zero

>> Don't you qualify Zeddo?

Nah, the Immunotherapy I am on - BCG - is very localised and specific
 Seat Arona - Zero

>> I’ve had it 3 times now, but y’know, didn’t go on about it… ;-)

Clearly you only had the 4 pot version.
 Seat Arona - Bill Payer
>> The drive train. Trully Trully dreadful. The 3 pot power plant is rough, noisy, gutless
>> and all round garbage. (makes the ford eco boost seem RR turbine smooth) Add to
>> this a DSG box set to exploit the very worse characteristics of the engine (anywhere
>> below 2.5k revs) and its headshakingly nasty and unpleasant to drive.

I think there must have been something wrong with it.

Daughter has that engine, but 6 speed manual, is a SEAT Ateca - I've driven it a bit and thought it was absolutely fine, almost amazing for the size of car.

I recently had a brand new 3cyl DSG T-Cross 3 days while wife's diesel Tiguan was in for some warranty work and used it quite a bit, including a reasonably long run in it. I thought it was a car I'd be happy to own if I was looking for something like that. The tech was a bit overwhelming but I suppose you get used to it, or don't use it.

Latest Forum Posts