Computer Related > Attaching photos Computing Issues
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 10

Attaching photos - legacylad
I have an old iPad 4. I’ve tried attaching photos I took on my iPhone 4S in 2017 in a Gmail to friends but a message tells me I’ve exceeded the 5 MB size. I’ve tried attaching several photos and non can be attached.
I didn’t think the camera in that old iPhone took such high resolution photos.
Any advice please....I could probably send them individually via What’s App...but I’d like to crack how to reduce the ‘size’ of the photos and send them en masse in one email.

Luddism does have its (limited) drawbacks on occasion.
Thank you.
 Attaching photos - smokie
The limitation is with GMail I expect, most mail providers have a max attachment size.

On Windows (and Android, and probably Apple) there are batch programs to resize pictures. You can usually take them down by a large percentage without really noticing much degradation on, say, a phone screen. You could also try zipping them (I can't remember how on an Apple device) but I'm not sure that would work very well.

WhatsApp is neater as it resizes them itself, if it needs to. I recall attaching multiple pics to a single message.
 Attaching photos - Zero
It is a gmail limitation. You could use a cloud storage site and send links, you could send via whatsap or you could edit them and save as a smaller piccy / lower resolution.
Thanks Z & Smokie

As I’ll be avoiding Halloween this evening ( even in Spain its happening) I’ll investigate the latter option tonight...try to learn something new. I’ve overdone it today with an 8 mile low level limp so early bath for me and feet up after a few glasses of Albariño...out with the ‘Cutting Crew’ tomorrow cutting back overgrown hunters paths.
A short distance with heavy duty loppers opening up non signposted footpaths, half way up a mountain somewhere at the end of an unmade road. Won’t be going in my rental car !

Thanks again
 Attaching photos - Crankcase
If you use the iPad inbuilt mail programme to access gmail, then when you send a photo that’s large it pops up a box that offers to reduce the size for you as it sends, with various options.
 Attaching photos - VxFan
/\ /\ /\ /\
What he said.

Let the device do the hard work for you.
>> If you use the iPad inbuilt mail programme to access gmail,

And where might I find that ? Can’t see it anywhere on my old iPad.
I downloaded the gmail app and sent photos via that, but even sending a few they took forever to load and attach.
 Attaching photos - Crankcase
Not got a picture of a little envelope on an app? In settings, don’t you have one called mail?

Can’t speak for how fast it works on an old iPad though.

You should be able to do all this on an iPhone as well or instead of the iPad, if that helps any.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 2 Nov 22 at 07:30
 Attaching photos - VxFan
>> And where might I find that ? Can’t see it anywhere on my old iPad.

As Crankcase says, there should be an App that looks like an envelope.

It should be installed by default on the iPad. Looks like this. apps.apple.com/us/app/mail/id1108187098

If you go into settings > mail. You can then add all your email accounts that then can be accessed via the above App.
 Attaching photos - bathtub tom
>> As I’ll be avoiding Halloween this evening ( even in Spain its happening)

I found that if I answer the door naked, the little brats tend to run away. Hang on, the doorbell's just gone and there's a couple of them dressed as coppers.
 Attaching photos - smokie
Hehe...

Here in Portugal, there is apparently some door knocking tradition which happens today, to celebrate All Saints Day. As I'm in a second floor apartment, I've not seen anything, and I wouldn't know how to work the entry phone anyway :-)
Latest Forum Posts