Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen - UP ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 117

Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Well at least its a GTi.

Two weeks into the one car experiment has come to an end. With no date in sight for the A4 being built, I relented and realised that we couldn't work with one car and a bus pass ! Our local second car dealer had a lovely little UP ! on his forecourt. Test drive arranged on some cracking back roads and we both loved it. Picking it up tomorrow as a stop gap. All the tests I've watched find to be a great little car....
 Volkswagen - UP ! - legacylad
Excellent
My bruv was thinking of swapping his wife’s knacked 12yo Fiat 500 fabric top for a 5 door UP.
His local indie garage had for sale a similar 6yo 500 ..it was immaculate but priced at £10k....and he was talked out of getting the UP.

Apparently he was told those 3cyl units ( any 3cyl) aren’t reliable.
Unlike this particular 500....
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Rudedog
Always the loved the Up! when I had it as a courtesy car although in the past few years I've been given something a lot bigger which I really don't need.

If I ever gave up my Golf GTi it would be for an Up! GTi.

Volkswagen - UP ! - sooty123
I'm not sure i could get past the toy car look.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Runfer D'Hills
Approved !
;-)

Enjoy!
Would love an UP as a hire car
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Tungsten Silver, bad boy stereo..
 Volkswagen - UP ! - BiggerBadderDave
I can't work out why I don't like the VW brand. I just would never have one. Except I really like the UP. I'd certainly look at those for a second, economical little car.

I rent quite a lot, I'm disappointed it's never been one of those.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Bromptonaut
Never driven an Up but had a Skoda Citigo, essentially the same car I think, as courtesy car on a couple of occasions.

I'm not in the market for a city car, the Fabia is on the small side, but if I were then the Up or a s/h Citigo would be on my list.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
It's a scream to drive - went out for a spin on some of the decent roads around here...the noise on the inside is er...interesting, digitally enhanced accoarding to the blurb. But it sure put a big grin on my face - 6 speed manual gear-box a proper steering wheel (with a flat bottom just like the Audi's).I think we'll get on very well...I now know what the XC40 was missing....character and oodles of it (whatever it is) first time I've enjoyed a drive for no rerason in ages !
Sounds great !
You’ll have a lot of fun with that little car!
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Lygonos
The 3cyl turbo engine is made of chocolate so punt it before the warranty runs out ;-)

Work colleague's lunched itself at just over 60k miles and he was advised to GTF by VW.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - zippy
Before the pandemic I saw an UP GTI on the M25 with a custom reg that read something like UP GTI or GTI UP.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Zero
>> The 3cyl turbo engine is made of chocolate so punt it before the warranty runs
>> out ;-)
>> Work colleague's lunched itself at just over 60k miles and he was advised to GTF
>> by VW.

The cam chain tensioner (works on oil pressure) fails and the chain gets loose, wears and skips a tooth. Chain slop can be heard briefly on cold starts before it gets bad. Applies to polo with 3cyl lump as well.
Good job the Duster has 4 cylinders then...
:-)

But seriously, I know 3 cyl engines have been mass produced for ages, but are there any that have stood the test of time and run up mega trouble free mileages ?

I’d be curious to know...apart from mine, I don’t know how many 3 cyl cars are in the Toyota range.

Friends recommend that flat 6 job. So much so that they have two of them, both over 20 yo.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 15 Oct 22 at 20:14
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Zero
>> Good job the Duster has 4 cylinders then...
>> :-)
>>
>> But seriously, I know 3 cyl engines have been mass produced for ages, but are
>> there any that have stood the test of time and run up mega trouble free
>> mileages ?

The Ford Ecoboost had early issues, but its been around now for 10 years, and in lower power outputs will easily knock up 120k miles without issues.

The real problem with modern engines is GDI combined with EGR.
> But seriously, I know 3 cyl engines have been mass produced for ages, but are
>> there any that have stood the test of time and run up mega trouble free
>> mileages ?
>>

Ford hammered them on the test bed when they first came out. The put on 100k in a matter of months and found few issues. VW said the same. Whether either held up to real owners I don't know, but they seemed happy to go ahead and sell them.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Zero

>> Ford hammered them on the test bed when they first came out. The put on
>> 100k in a matter of months and found few issues. VW said the same. Whether
>> either held up to real owners I don't know, but they seemed happy to go
>> ahead and sell them.

There is a difference in pre production units, to units made with vendor mass produced parts (when the procurement bean counters have their fingers in the pie) in real use.

The early Ford units failed because of a stupid external coolant pipe.
The early Ford units failed because of a stupid external coolant pipe.
>>

Core and assembly engines, somewhat different.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Zero
>> The early Ford units failed because of a stupid external coolant pipe.
>> >>
>>
>> Core and assembly engines, somewhat different.

I'm sure an owner faced with a big FO bill can appreciate the difference. Its always about application.
Well that's the rub taking on a new engine. Plenty of punters to butter up successfully.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - VxFan
>> 100k in a matter of months and found few issues.

Most mechanics I know call the 3-cylinder Ford Ecoboost engine, Ecoboom because of the number of failures they've seen.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> >>
>>
>> 100k in a matter of months and found few issues. VW said the same. Whether
>> either held up to real owners I don't know, but they seemed happy to go
>> ahead and sell them.
>>

No test bed ever made is capable of hammering a car like Joe Public can.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Robin O'Reliant
>> Applies to polo with 3cyl lump as well.
>>

Tell me about it :-(
 Volkswagen - UP ! - carmalade
I’m sure these late VW 3 cylinder engines are belt drive , similar to the Ford eco boost engine . IIRC , daihatsu made a cracking 3 cylinder engine in the 80s/90s .
Can't comment on the bad ones but my sister has had a GTi not long after they came out plus many have been modified to over 100PS and run without issues.

I guess as many things regular servicing is top of the list, I know it's not quite the same my my wife's 1.2 three cylinder Polo is an amazing engine when revved with a that six pot sound.

Engine aside, the shape and styling of the Up! is right up my street, I'm afraid I'm not for going bigger as I get older, not sure if it is quite the same as a Lupo GTi.... there is a very nice red one near me.

A Up! GTi is the same size as the original GTi so shows how cars have grown over the years.... I shiver when I see a tiny weeny driver with their head poking above the steering wheel of a current SUV or 'luxury' 4x4.... will never ever be for me.

Volkswagen - UP ! - Boxsterboy
We have two UPs, one a 9-year old low power as a pool car at work. Owned from new and only 40,000 on the clock, it has been perfectly reliable. On the back of this experience we got my daughter a repaired Cat D, higher output engine, now 10 years old now with 35,000 on t tohe clock. Similarly reliable so far. They are fun to drive, handle nicely, and have that lovely 3-pot warble.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - maltrap
My son has a BMW 2 series with a 3 cylinder engine, the same as some Mini's. Trouble free.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Falkirk Bairn
Toyota Aygo 3 cylinder - 1 ltr / 70BHP / 0-60 in a half a day

It is however reliable in the Aygo, Citroen C1 & Peugeot 108 although later models from Citroen/Peugeot were also fitted with a Pug 1.2 which has its problems in the eyes of some.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Had a trip "up" to the sticks. Topped up the fuel tank this afternoon, zeroed the computer and average fuel consumption was lowering by the mile and was around 42mpg by the time I got home along unclassifieds, B roads, a little town work and a faster A road home, plenty of poke for some overtaking at one point..it's a fine little thing. The car was serviced twice in the last couple of months, once clearly by the owner on its birthday, the other by VW before it was released in the wild. Hopefully (If the Audi's delivery goes as planned) I won't need to. Be interesting to see what it does on dual carriageways..gear change is a slick as greasy thing. A genuine fun car....
Glad it works for you. Does indeed sound like a fun car.
We’ve been debating what happens next with our cars and something like that might be an answer.
I’m looking to retire next summer but until then I’ll need to keep, or have something the size of my big Merc estate. After that though, we could potentially use the Renegade as the family/dog/bike car and have something different to run alongside it.
What that something is, is still in discussion.
Ideas as diverse as Fiat 124 spiders, Dusters, or just keeping the Merc have been mooted, but that little UP does sound interesting too.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Zero
>> What that something is, is still in discussion.

Excellent, A Turin Taxi and a Rumanian dustbin ownership will keep us amused on here for years to come.

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 17 Oct 22 at 09:15
Can’t begin to tell you why, but the Renegade just cheers me up every time I drive it. Of course I know it’s just an ordinary car with a few styling twiddly bits, but somehow it works better than the sum of its parts.
Irrational I know, but anything that can make me smile right now is good enough for me!
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
There's a very nice Fiat Spyder for sale at the same place I got the Up.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Size was mentioned.

UP 3600mm long by 1979 wide by 1492 tall

Golf Mk1 3705 x 1610 x 1395 tall
I had a 1988 Golf GTi 8v and a 1990 16v when they were current. Enjoyed them both at the time. Not had anything similar since.
Had some two seater convertibles too from time, well, way back when in truth.
The idea has some appeal again. Just not sure if that would fit my current or proposed needs, but it might be fun.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Ooh look Humph. Seen this in the metal,

www.clwydian.co.uk/cars/fiat/124/spider/725398/
Nice!
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
When I bought it the bespoke phone mount was misisng. Got one from e-bay and it arrived today. I have a second iPhone XS for work purposes. This went missing ast week (aka stolen). The excellent insurance linked to my Lloyds bank account replaced it within less than 24 hours with a refurbished (i assume) phone, promised to be the same spec as the lost one, it turned out to be a XS Max ! A little big for my taste but it has a massive screen which woks well with mapping options. Write ups suggest that the VAG bracket won't handle a "big" phone - But the excellently designed holder carries the XS with ease ! The bracket plugs into a socket in the middle of the top of the dash and has a USB port within its build. Excellent idea Volkswagen, this means that your sat nav is essentially as good if not better than a built in unit.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Manatee
>>Excellent idea Volkswagen, this means that your sat nav is essentially as good if not better than a built in unit.

As it should be. Phones aren't going away and many see no need for any other navigation aid. I manage with air vent mounts in 2 cars, and a Brodit clip + mount in the MX-5, which has built-in navigation that is significantly inferior to Google's - mainly because of the traffic advantage conferred by Google Maps.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Exactly, I took a bike specific Tom Tom and a the iPhone XS on my recent trip to the Netherlands. Apple/Google Maps - they both fit into a specific phone holder made by RAM on the dash of the bike. The XS was far superior in screen quaity and definition and was better and easier to use with a gloved hand than the TT. It's the way ahead.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - CGNorwich
I’m torn between VW’s Navigation and Google Maps. My car has Apple CarPlay so I tend to switch between the two. Traffic info is definitely superior on Google Maps due to the sheer number of users but VW’s maps and routing is good.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
No such luxury in the UP ! It has a tiny screen (the size of an old fashioned car radio) it manages to do a lot with it but it has been designed to work with a phone screen. My wife said I was smiling as I drove in Rhyl this afternoon....! Just creeping up to 45 mpg on today's run despite making some progress..
My goodness it must be a great car if you can smile in Rhyl while driving it!
;-)
 Volkswagen - UP ! - tyrednemotional
...that was a grimace as seen through tinted windows....
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
That's what I thought as I typed...
I keep trying to convince myself that I could live with something smaller, or sportier maybe. But then, yesterday, as is often the case, I fully filled and adorned the Merc with four mountain bikes, four mountain bikers, a dog in a cage and all the ancillary kit for the bikes, bikers and dog.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Carried 204kg of donated food in a Ford Fiesta the other week....would never have fitted in the UP!
…and then, also, I really like sitting on the “back step” of an estate car under the shelter of the tailgate with my coffee after a long mountain bike ride.
Think I’m stuck with having a large estate car for now I’m afraid.
>> I keep trying to convince myself that I could live with something smaller.....

...you'll be OK once you can leave the first-aid kits, crutches, splints, stretcher, wheelchair etc. behind... ;-)
Some truth in that T&E.
:-(
...no Schadenfreude here. SWMBO is not up to cycling yet, though the cast for the broken wrist is off, so I've been lying fallow.

Daughter and partner were up a week ago, though, so I had my first outing since my big "off".

36 miles on tracks. I didn't entirely regret it, but I certainly knew about it afterwards (for more days than I care to remember).
>> I keep trying to convince myself that I could live with something smaller, or sportier
>> maybe.

Lot to be said for having an old reliable load lugger and something small & interesting.
When I was in trade we had his n hers VW Transporters ..LWB Hi Roof and a standard LWB. Always an Interesting car lurking somewhere for high days and holidays, so the best of both worlds…we naughtily often carried friends in the van..comfy cushions, no seatbelts, but hey ho.

Nicola Hume..CarBuyer review on Ewe Chube was very smitten with the GR
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 23 Oct 22 at 16:03
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Up ! still doing it, squeezing 47mpg despite some decent "progress" drives ! E-mail from Audi on Monday...build date for the A4 is in March...
 Volkswagen - UP ! - BiggerBadderDave
I rented a Fiat 500 last week. No Up!s available which was a shame and as usual they kept pressing me to upgrade to a Golf. Very irritating. No thanks, I'm not interested means no thanks, I'm not interested. It's me and a laptop bag.

And the 500 was all leather. Which was nice.
At the risk of sounding impish, does it beg the question as to whether you will actually want the Audi when it’s ready now RP?
Not spending that money might translate into quite a lot of bonus extra holiday vouchers…and you now already have a boredom curing car?
;-)
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Funny you should ask that. It has been a topic of conversation here. We need a bigger car - the dog just about fits in the Mini, and hols would be difficult in the MINI with all the kit required for the dog....we'll see
I get that. Every time I think I could, or have even gone so far as trying to, live with a small car, I always end up wanting/needing/appreciating a bigger one.
Fine for dashing about in, but as soon as you add people, stuff and dogs into the equation…
A Mondeo estate or similar, and aCaterham/Westfield/MX5/GRY are all you probably need.
I know you love your sporty Yaris LL, but, do you ever find yourself wishing it was a little bit bigger, or has that never been an issue?
I took my daughter's UP! for a work appointment today to give it a run while she's at Uni. I had previously thought that the UP! was reasonably comfortable, but I've been spoilt after a few long runs in the Berlingo, and the suspension on the UP! today seemed positively hard/bouncy. I don't think the short wheelbase helps.
>> I know you love your sporty Yaris LL, but, do you ever find yourself wishing
>> it was a little bit bigger, or has that never been an issue?

It’s never even crossed my mind .I never intended carrying more than one passenger, and with the rear seat down is perfectly practical for me. If I go out with friends, and there are more than two, we go in someone else’s vehicle.

In a previous century I coped perfectly well with 3 doors in both a 205, Mk1 Golf and mini estate which were of similar proportions.

Getting back into it tonight, after landing at LBA 7pm, i took it for a short drive for the sheer fun of it after 44 days with a C3 diesel, the restricted forward vision twixt rear view mirror and touch screen was immediately noticeable. Didn’t stop the stupid grin though.
Glad it was dark.
Longer drive tomorrow. Like a kid with a new toy at Christmas...speaking of which.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 9 Nov 22 at 22:32
Are we to anticipate an announcement of some kind?
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Found out the electric version of the UP is the er...E-UP ! !
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Falkirk Bairn
You can only buy it if you live in Yorkshire.
...and it costs 'Ow much!?
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Snow ! Living quite close to to the coast, I didn't expect this. A needs must task this morning meant de-frosting the car and venturing out in sub-zero conditions. FWD and a small car is a bonus, went everywhere I needed. Having to tackle a steepish urban hill on the way home, the Up! went Down ! in poerfect control due to the unexpected bonus of proper engine braking !
You’ll miss that wee car when you come to part with it!
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
I will. Very few negative points. "traditional" headlamps is oe of them, having been used to sharp LEDs makes me think twice about night time use (we're going to Sandbach on Friday evening - to see Alfie Moore's show) May go in the Mini ! The nuclear option is to buy the A4 and sell it on straight away...there will be some profit in it.....you never know !
That might be a smart move. Pal of mine had a new Range Rover on order for ages to replace his owned from new, but now 10 year old one.
In the end he decided that there was nothing wrong with the old car and kept it. The new one never left the dealership as they offered him nearly £10k more for it than he’d agreed to pay. If you see what I mean.
In other words he made £10k for doing nothing but ordering a car that he never took delivery of.
Nice work if you can get it eh?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 17 Jan 23 at 11:08
>> I will. Very few negative points.
>>

Up!s are proof that modern cars can be relatively simple and uncomplicated - and all the better for it.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
I notice more of them now, saw three different ones on the way to tow and back (10 miles) waved at them all.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - smokie
Enjoy Alfie Moore - saw him in Edinburgh back in the summer, SWMBO enjoyed it more than I did but it was a passable hour or so.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Zero

>> Up!s are proof that modern cars can be relatively simple and uncomplicated - and all
>> the better for it.

Under the skin, its not as simple as you think.
Re headlights, I know what you mean, my car has LEDs, but the other two have halogens. Doesn’t really bother me when I drive them at night, I’m lucky enough to have quite good eyesight and night vision still, but the difference is noticeable.
Wouldn’t be a deal breaker in choosing to buy or keep a car for me but if asked to express a preference, I’d choose LEDs.
Some say they don’t fail much, but I believe if they do, it can be a bit of a shock to the wallet.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Zero

>> Wouldn’t be a deal breaker in choosing to buy or keep a car for me

It is for me, having had them, there is no going back.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Fullchat
Alfie Moore is one of our retired Sgts. Comes from Scunthorpe you know :)
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 17 Jan 23 at 16:38
I heard him on one of the R4 6.30pm comedy slots. It was ok, but the half hour he had was probably about 25 minutes too long.
;-)
"Alfie Moore is one of our retired Sgts. Comes from Scunthorpe you know :)"

OK who's got the swear filter bypass key? :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 27 Jan 23 at 17:28
The LED Matrix headlights on my VW ID3 are amazing. Having experienced them would also be very reluctant to go back.

Never need to dip them for oncoming traffic or indeed when following another vehicle. Put then on Auto when I got the car and haven't need to touch the light switch since.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Mike H
If they work efficiently, that's impressive. I find the auto dip on my Honda CR-V slow to react, and there are far too many real life situations where dip is needed before the car decides for itself. I always disable them. Seems to be a problem with many cars, drivers seem to switch their brains off too often with such unnecessary "driver aids". A good idea imperfectly implemented, a bit like "spot the correct speed limit sign".
Last edited by: Mike H on Wed 18 Jan 23 at 19:30
They work, believe me. I rather think I would have been flashed rather a lot if they didn’t. Definitely much faster and superior to any manual operation of headlights.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
My V40 had bi-xeons - also auto dip. It wasn't particularly reactive and often reacted to the reflection from white street signs. They weren't that good.

My 2016 3 Series had LEDs and the auto dip was more or less perfect.

My 2019 V60 "active" bending LEDs which were fearsomely good but performed a strange little dance when they auto dip.

My 2020 V40 weren't half as good as the V60 - ever really used the auto-dip.
My GTi has dynamic lights which move as you go around corners but the main bit is that it uses the front camera to track vehicles in front or coming towards you and keeps the LEDs on full but blocks out sections of light which also move to keep them always in darkness.
Yes , that’s the same system as the ID3. Absolutely brilliant (literally) especially useful on country roads.
If he does the escaped lions from Chipperfields Circus sketch it is infact a true story involving a couple of colleagues on an opposite shift sadly no longer with us.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
He's good. I watched him on Zoom during the first lockdow he - not at his best, I guess he needs a live audience. Lookin forward and will report back
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
First class evening in the Town Hall in Sandbach. What a great venue. Audience was full of Radio 4 listeners ! He told the escaped lions story. Brilliant. If you get the chance go and see/listen to him.
Good to hear :)
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Well, the Germans have done well. The A4 arrived a month early at the dealer's. Need to go and collect either this week or next. So the UP ! needs to go - plan to do it by Motorway again. They were very good. Saying good-bye to this fantastic little car is harder than saying goodbye to my old XC40. It's been excellent and undergone its duties with no issues other than crap headlamps. As and economical. I visited a local private school to collect a food-bank donation the other day, rich kids everywhere along with the compulsory German/British/Japanese light tanks.....what attracted most attention was the little UP ! (heard one youth drawl...."Oh Cool, it's a GTi"....
R.P.
Seriously hold fire…would it be suitable for my Spain trip early May ? Need 5 doors and room for camping gear. Met my French pals tonight at a live music venue..after Plymouth > Santander > Moraira 3-27 May I’m staying with them in French Pyrenees, then exploring the Picos.
Plan A was to buy a Vitara MY2019 after I arrive home 4/04.
I’d appreciate an email….
Gracias
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
It's a two door. 21k Jul 2020 - let me know on the 4th.
Fine wee car though it undoubtedly is, you’d think it’d be too small for your purposes LL?
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Bobby
Think the missing 3 doors might be a factor…..
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Planning for the trip to Grimsby in place.

Train from Rhyl - Grimsby (£90 quid one way) Splitsaver site costs £40.00 !

Stay in the Spoons or IHG hotel over the road from railway station,

Catch a bus (£2.00) to the dealership...

Then drive new car to Papa's fish and chip shop in Cleethorpes eat chips, drive home...a plan or what ?!
Not sure I’d want to be in Grimsby after dark!
;-)
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Change one letter and it becomes "Grinsby" ! Don't intend to leave the hotel after dark !
You should be ok then. ;-)
That’s a good long run home to practice your tailgating, amber light running and undertaking. You should be well up to speed with Audi driving techniques by the time you get back!
;-)
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Zero
>> That’s a good long run home to practice your tailgating, amber light running and undertaking.
>> You should be well up to speed with Audi driving techniques by the time you
>> get back!

NP, he's had a BMW in the past.
Yeah but, while of course there are exceptions to every rule, modern BMW drivers tend to be quite good, if a little over enthusiastic at times, they’re sort of Mercedes drivers in waiting. Just haven’t quite reached that level of Karma yet sort of thing.
Audi drivers though, well, I don’t have to say anymore do I really? ;-)
 Volkswagen - UP ! - Kevin
Is there any fishing industry left in Grimsby?

I used to visit a customer at Immingham every couple of months or so. I'd make a point of setting off early and calling at Grimsby fish sheds on my way there to order a load of fish straight off the boat.

Picked it up later that day filleted and packed in ice. It got to the stage where I was ordering 3 stone of fish for family and friends.
>> Is there any fishing industry left in Grimsby?
>>
...Of course there is, Brexit rescued and revived it ...
My old patch.
Which dealership are you using RP?
Talking of fresh fish from the docks. I worked with a guy who who would get regular supplies for distribution. He even took his portion to a local chippy to be battered and cooked.
If anyone has seen Atonement. The rather apocalyptic scenes towards the end where he ended up walking across a playing film screen were shot in the old warehouses on the docks. Three Day Millionaire was shot in the old dock offices and Sacha Baron Cohen's (Borat) film Grimsby wasn't shot there :)
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
JCT600 - It's the handling dealer for Drive the Deal. I'm quite looking forward now, Could do it in a day, but overnighter will be interesting.
Jack Tordoff died quite recently...

Bought my GRY from JCT used cars at Yeadon...got a decent test drive on roads I know well. I really only needed a mile, or less, to be convinced it was the car for me.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - bathtub tom
>> Planning for the trip to Grimsby in place.
>> Train from Rhyl - Grimsby (£90 quid one way) Splitsaver site costs £40.00 !
>> Stay in the Spoons or IHG hotel over the road from railway station,

Daughter managed the Grimsby 'spoons for a while - I think she's never been back, understandably.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
I think the Holiday Express might be a better deal. I have some points to cash-in !
Wasn't aware of a Holiday Inn Express in Grimsby. A Google Street shows it to be a recent new facility on the site of the old Burtons Fiat Dealership in Wellowgate.
Don't mind HI Xpress. Does Mrs RP have a Blue Light Card? There's a discount to be had?
You are a taxi/bus ride away from JCT up in Humberston.
>> It's a two door. 21k Jul 2020 - let me know on the 4th.
>>

Sorry need a 4 door + hatch.
Although my Kent friends are no longer travelling to Spain with me ( plan A was meeting me in Plymouth via London Victoria...possibility of rail strikes, so they’ve bought cheap EasyJet tickets from their local airport, Gatwick) once on our alternate day walks , which are well off the beaten track, we usually car share from the valley bottom to limited parking in a remote area...hence need to carry 4 adults plus day sacks. Two doors doesn’t help matters for old, but very fit, walkers.

Bobby was quite correct.
Back to a stodgy Vitara then....
 Volkswagen - HI Express - zippy
I like them, though they are more basic than Premier Inns.

I recall about in about 2015 we were visiting Miss Z at uni and stayed in one. Dog friendly was a bonus.

Miss Z met us for breakfast and I went to ask the reception how much it would cost to allow Miss Z to have breakfast with us and they said no charge. (It's free for guests.)

It wasn't very busy and the lady came by with a pack full of muffins and pastries and filled Miss Z's backpack with them! She was very grateful as were her house-mates.

I have around 900,000 Holiday Inn points which I really need to get around to using sometime.

I recommend the Intercontinental at Hyde Park Corner and Dusseldorf. Both excellent IHG hotels.
 Volkswagen - HI Express - smokie
I paid for all my accommodation on a quite extensive solo US tour (21 nights I think) with Holiday Inn points earned on a long project where we stayed in the HI Express Aberdeen for weeks on end, 5 nights a week.

I'd attained the highest earning rate (Platinum status?) which tripled my earnings and gave extra benefits when you checked in to spend points - like automatic rooms upgrades. The few times I used them in the UK that simply didn't work but in the US I was usually treated like royalty, given a huge suite, free breakfast, generous welcome packs etc. I think the best value one I used them in was three or four nights in the Crown Plaza, Key West, on a different trip.
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
UP sold on Motorway - sold for a better price than what they predicted and far better than WBAC's quote ( who would have required for it to be MOT'd). Later call to tell me the A4 would be ready mid-week...Busy as it happens so the car will be collected on Saturday morning after over-nighting in Grimsby...
Friday night in Grimsby?
Good luck with that, are you taking any bodyguards?
;-)
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
Cleethorpes was suggested as an alternative. Couple of sherries and a curry (hopefully)
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
There's a Spoons near the Hotel ! :-).
 Volkswagen - UP ! - R.P.
It's 28 miles from Sc*nthorpe..
I'd go with Cleethorpes (Cleggy) as well.
Latest Forum Posts