Motoring Discussion > BMW new 1 series Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 14

BMW new 1 series - Bobby
My X1 was into dealer for service (£240) and a software recall. They gave me a 22 plate 118 sport.

It’s 1.5 petrol with auto gearbox.

I found it nice n nippy , probably not as much acceleration as my X1. But absolutely enough for me. Seats were much more comfier than my X1.

Interestingly, as I have mentioned previously, I much prefer the higher SUV type vehicles but I really didn’t find it an issue getting in and out to the extent that it was only later on I realised that I hadn’t given it a thought at the time.

If ever I look to downsize, it will definitely be on the shortlist.
 BMW new 1 series - R.P.
The SUV "thing" was very much in my thoughts when I ditched the XC40. Owned 3 in different phases, a CRV, and X1 and lattelry (of course) the XC40. They no longer to do it for me these days and look forward to an estate as and when it arrives.
 BMW new 1 series - Lygonos
Think of the 118i auto, with a 90bhp rear electric motor chiming in with the FWD motor.

That's the 225xe ;-)

Absolute bargains were to be had in 2020 but suspect they have all long since evaporated.
 BMW new 1 series - Robin O'Reliant
My local indie is expecting his stock to decrease in value owing to the impending economic storm.

Suits me as I need a replacement for my dead Polo.
 BMW new 1 series - Zero
>> My local indie is expecting his stock to decrease in value owing to the impending
>> economic storm.
>>
>> Suits me as I need a replacement for my dead Polo.
>>

Got a hole in it?
 BMW new 1 series - smokie
Mint condition
 BMW new 1 series - Zero
Nah I think it sucks
 BMW new 1 series - R.P.
A car I would have considered
 BMW new 1 series - Bobby
I remember quizzing you about the 225 at the time.
It would actually really suit me as a car and would probably be able to do electric for 90% of my journeys.
But always found it difficult to see one that had all the toys I wanted. And the top of the range Luxury model had the most annoying looking (for cleaning purposes) multi spoke wheels.

Did you not also say it was only a 6 speed auto or something? And couldn’t “fast charge”?

And yes, since 2020 the prices have shot up! I used to have a BCA alert set up for them and 2 or 3 would come through each day. Now lucky if it’s 2 a month.
Aye 6-spd TC auto - fat instant torque with the added EV component and likely cost saving means it didn't have the highly rated 8-spd other autos have.

Battery was only around 7kWh usable (I think 2019 models got a teeny bit more) so 3.6kW charging never took more than a couple of hours (or about 3.5hrs from a 3-pin).

The 1.5 3-cyl turbo in the 118/MINI/225xe has a bit of a rep for unreliability but going from the number of 225xe I used to see for sale at 80k+ miles I wouldn't be too worried.

The EV component is from the i3 and very reliable (i3 problems were usually from the modified scooter engine in the REx versions).

Similar to all turbo-charged German cars I wouldn't own it without a good warranty though.
 BMW new 1 series - Zero

>> Similar to all turbo-charged German cars I wouldn't own it without a good warranty though.

Only if you stick to condition based servicing. Once warranty is gone, the wise ignore this and go to milage/age based servicing. With fully synth oil, 12k/1 year should save your turbo, timing chain and VANOS.
>>With fully synth oil, 12k/1 year should save your turbo, timing chain and VANOS.

Since I got a Pela pump I've done the wife's FRV at 6k/6mths (filter at 12k) - 0W20 oil can be found for well under £30 so is next to no hassle.

www.suzuki-shop.co.uk/Petronas-Syntium-7000-0w20-Fully-Syn-Oil--5ltr
 BMW new 1 series - Zero

>> Since I got a Pela pump I've done the wife's FRV at 6k/6mths (filter at
>> 12k) - 0W20 oil can be found for well under £30 so is next to
>> no hassle.

Its hassle with the Beemer, it has no dipstick.
 BMW new 1 series - legacylad

>> Its hassle with the Beemer, it has no dipstick.
>>
Obviously not called Rodney then :-)
 BMW new 1 series - legacylad
Friend of mine who for years had a VW 2.0 Tdi Golf, and knows sweet FA about cars, was persuaded by an offspring to buy a 118 manual.
Doesn’t like the stiffer ride ( possibly the old Golf suspension was shot) and dislikes the manual box even more. And dislikes plenty of other things about it now he’s the owner.

Being a smarty pants, and knowing him and his driving style, I’d have recommended a 2016-18 Mazda 3 petrol manual cos I know he’ll be wanting to keep it 15 years. Unless it breaks. And I doubt that model of Mazda would.
Latest Forum Posts