Motoring Discussion > What is the Most annoying feature of your car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 34

What is the Most annoying feature of your car - wotspur

I posted about buying a new people carrier afew weeks back and the one I plumped for was a Picasso c4 Grand and I absolutely love driving it , so no issues there
However things that annoy me
1 the large key has three sections , Open, open the boot and lock . It is so annoying pressing the largest button , being open the boot , and having to get out to ensure it’s shut ….
Aaaah
2 not being able to turn the heat up or down ,and keep the map on show my route
3 the hand brake , every car I’ve had has a lever , which has worked well for me for 40 years, this has a flick up flick down button ,so it’s much harder to do hill starts etc when it’s either on or off and can be uncertain if it’s on or off .

What unnecessary changes have happened to the cars you’ve owned ??
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Bobby
You can’t control the heat????
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Biggles
Have you read the handbook yet?
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - wotspur
Nope , never been that bored yet
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Zero
>> Nope , never been that bored yet

Ditto the highway code.
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - VxFan
>> 3 the hand brake , every car I’ve had has a lever , which has
>> worked well for me for 40 years, this has a flick up flick down button
>> ,so it’s much harder to do hill starts etc when it’s either on or off
>> and can be uncertain if it’s on or off .

Does it not release itself when you go to pull away? All the cars I've driven with an electronic handbrake do.
I thought all cars these days also have hill start assist. But the 71 reg Corsa Design auto I had on Wednesday (a courtesy car) caught me out as I started rolling backwards into the car behind me when I took my foot off the brake.
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - smokie
"What is the Most annoying feature of your car"

The constant whine from the passenger seat area.
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - zippy
Some cars have a hill start assist feature that engages and stays on when you come to a stop, releasing automatically when you drive off.

Some stay on momentarily when you come to a stop. I believe this is the version that the Citroen has.

The version in my car is the former, but you have to press a button on the centre console to activate it every time you start the engine (annoying).
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Runfer D'Hills
The AdBlue tank where the spare wheel should be.
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - henry k
Jaguar X Type
At the top of my long long list was the awful dip beams.
It was usual for many reporting to Jaguar forums that " fit HIDs is the answer ".
It was possible to fit better bulbs but they were a pain to swop.
Many recommended taking the bumper and engine undershield off for access.

I rarely drive now so the new top of list is -
Not able to unlock the boot with a traditional key. You have to use the remote key and electrically unlock.
From the Jaguar forum info, I have implemented an emergency work around plus some minor additional improvements. My cost was less than £5. The basic cost was about 10-50pence.

What is the Most annoying feature of your car - smokie
Not dissimilar to a feature on my car Zippy where it puts the "handbrake" on when you come to a stop, while pressing the footbrake.

That also has to be turned on manually each time, except if the "engine" is only off for a short period.

Just as well it has an "off" position though, as trying to nudge the car a few inches when parking and the blooming brake keeps coming on, and more to the point releasing abruptly when you press the accelerator to edge forward or backward, is a recipe for disaster.

The Beemer is more or less ergonomic and driver perfect in every way. The Hill hold/Auto handbrake/Auto box works perfectly seamlessly.

The only annoyance is the things it doesn't have, Android Auto (when I ordered the beemer they said AA would never be offered as a feature - it was 4 months later) And the M5 has the sport button next to the shift paddles I have to reach down for mine.
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Crankcase
Mine has the option of hill start assist working the way any sane person would want it, or working in a crazy way with the car apparently only applying brakes when you don't want them, and vice versa.

Luckily in the menus there's the option to choose, and once chosen, it remembers it. But a colleague had a top end Passat, and that didn't have the option, so in this case, the Skoda version appears better than the VW version of the same feature.
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - R.P.
Some cars have a hill start assist feature that engages and stays on when you come to a stop, releasing automatically when you drive off.

The XC40 has one of these, as did in the V60 - in the V60 it was seamless, the XC40's HS thing is very good, but linked to the rough electronic parking brake is poor. Still it does work as advertised in the handbook !

The annoying features of the XC40 are all the blind-spots caused by the massive A and C pillars. I know their there to stop me being squashed in an accident,, but you know.
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Robin O'Reliant
>> I know their there
>>

"They're there", RP.

Tch.
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - R.P.
I shoot myself.
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Rudedog
Same as Z have to say that I love my GTi in every way... ride, power no complaints at all. I turned the auto-hold off as soon I first experienced it and luckily it always stays off... can't see the point of it on the Golf but then I use the EPB in the same way as a manual.

One thing I wish it had which the MK8 GTi's have is that if you pull and hold the down shift paddle then it will change down to lowest safest gear to give you maximum acceleration.. bit like doing a block down-change in a manual.

What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Dave_
I have never used the voice control in my car, except when trying out all the features on the day I bought it.

I do, however, accidentally trigger it roughly once a fortnight, usually whilst parking, and always when there was something interesting on the radio. CANCEL!
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - RichardW
Had one of these for 5 years...

1. Can't say it's been a problem, sure you will learn which button to press!
2. Touch the bar at the top of the screen and the temp controls will appear. After a few seconds it reverts to the map, or press the arrow in the top left to go back.
3. You're trying too hard... If you hold it on the brakes and it's in gear and on a slope against the gear (e.g. in reverse and pointing down, or in 1st and pointing up) then it will hold on the brakes for a couple of seconds to allow you to go from brake to driving. Brakes release as soon as it moves. Handbrake will apply when you stop the engine, or if you push the button, and automatically release as you move off. This has the later motor on caliper arrangement and acts pretty quick, you may find if you are very gentle with the clutch it won't release - the clutch needs to be off the floor and some revs on. Never been an issue on the C4, but I have to blip the throttle on my 3008 (early design with central motor and cables) to get it to release easily.
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Robin O'Reliant
Being a bangernomics man (My last new car being back in 2001) all this techno stuff is fascinating to me in a slightly frightening sense. Half of these acronyms describing what a car has are meaningless and things like touch screens and paddleshifts are a source of wonder to a man who thinks his ship has come in if the latest motor has a CD player rather than a cassette.

Can I claim the title of "Forum Dinosaur"?
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - bathtub tom
>>Can I claim the title of "Forum Dinosaur"?

No, I still prefer cassettes.
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Rudedog
I have something similar (sort of)... I have all of my car music on an SD card... I feel 'old' in that everybody seems to connect to Spotify or the like to listen to music while on the move and laugh at me for sticking with a physical way of storing music.

What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Dog
>> things like touch screens

Are a PITA, Aziz not having a CD player!
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - CGNorwich
I think you have to keep up with this stuff. You can’t run away from progress, you just get left behind. Looking forward to getting the electric car and a new iPhone.
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Terry
Main deficiencies are the lack of prancing horse, raging bull, big cat, spirit of ecstasy adornments.

I don't need all four, I only have one car so just one would be a major improvement.
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Runfer D'Hills
Nothing in life is absolutely perfect of course, but as far as cars go, I’m pretty content with the one I have. It has sort of evolved into a faithful old dog type of thing in my life.
Sure, I could buy a better, newer one I suppose, but it ticks more or less all my boxes in terms of usefulness and comfort so I really can’t be bothered to change it for now.
But, like my old dog, when it does cease to function, I’ll miss it, but I guess I’ll get another one.
Tis a case of having to, I suppose. I doubt if you can buy a new car now without 'infotainment'?

Also, I'm possibly a bit Asperger in that I don't like change.

:o}
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Clk Sec
Apart from frequent house moves, that is...
;-)
>>Apart from frequent house moves, that is...

Still waiting guvnor - offer was made 10 weeks ago. Memsahib reckons con-veyancing is now taking 5 months these days?
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Bobby
Lots of banks withdrawing mortgage deals today…..
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - hawkeye
Jaguar S-Type
Once I'd sorted the very average headlamp dipped beam performance by polishing the light lenses to crystal standard and fitting Twenty20 LED bulbs, the only annoying thing left is the car's inability to fold-on-lock the door mirrors. The venerable Citroen C8 did fold-on-lock so I could see from some distance away whether the car was locked or not. Not so the Jaguar. As my memory shrivels up with age and post stroke it results in my often coming to the car and finding it unlocked.

Mazda CX-5
I've never noticed this, but Mrs H observes that whenever my phone has connected to and disconnected from the car's satnav, the radio switches from DAB to FM. This means that, on her weekly trip to York, her favourite station fades away as she cruises down the A1. This is only annoying for me because of the complaints it generates.

What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Boxsterboy
I've had the Berlingo for a month now so I think I've got the hang of everything now. Nothing annoys me, but apparently the sun visors annoy Mrs BB. They are set up for left hand drive, namely the passenger sun visor doesn't have a mirror, whereas the drivers does (should be the other way round). I positively LIKE the fact that it has a manual handbrake (although rarely used as it has an auto box) and that it DOESN'T have keyless entry/start!
I would find having to piddle around stuffing a key 8n your hole, extremely annoying
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Bromptonaut
>> I've had the Berlingo for a month now so I think I've got the hang
>> of everything now. Nothing annoys me, but apparently the sun visors annoy Mrs BB. They
>> are set up for left hand drive

How strange. Ours, now admittedly 9 years old, has them in both visors.

The one thing that irritates me is the radio. No digital but AM/FM including Long Wave. There are three 'banks' of FM station memory each holding five stations. Previous Citroens with that set up allowed you to select (say) Classic FM on bank one, Radio 2 on bank 2 and Radio 4 on bank 3. Thus you could toggle through three stations simple by pressing the band button.

The current version, if you've got Classic FM on bank 1 and change to bank 2, stays with Classic FM.

Only a niggle and I've now adapted to toggling the presets.
 What is the Most annoying feature of your car - Boxsterboy
I stream the radio these days - much simpler!
Latest Forum Posts