Non-motoring > Mike Tindall Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 50

Mike Tindall - maltrap
I’ve just noticed, on a picture of Mike Tindall that he is wearing medals, does anyone know why he received them?
 Mike Tindall - Bromptonaut
A quick Google suggests they're his OBE and two Jubilee medals.
 Mike Tindall - sooty123
Attendance medals for being in the royal family and assume an obe for his sports sruff.
 Mike Tindall - Robin O'Reliant
Edward has a chest full of medals and a uniform yet he quit the Royal Marines after only a few months.
>> Edward has a chest full of medals and a uniform yet he quit the Royal
>> Marines after only a few months.

Jubilee medals * 4 plus some NZ and Canadian gongs.
 Mike Tindall - Zero
>> >> Edward has a chest full of medals and a uniform yet he quit the
>> Royal
>> >> Marines after only a few months.
>>
>> Jubilee medals * 4 plus some NZ and Canadian gongs.

All of them utterly meaningless, worthless, self serving adornments. He should be ashamed to put them on a uniform.
 Mike Tindall - maltrap
I think they give you a medal for marrying into the royal family (well deserved)
 Mike Tindall - legacylad

>>
>> All of them utterly meaningless, worthless, self serving adornments. He should be ashamed to put
>> them on a uniform.

Aged 18 my old man was on Arctic Convoys to Murmansk & Archangel seeing his fellow Merchant Mariners go down, or up if they were on ammunitions boats, with their ships.
Then chancing his luck with the Battle of the Atlantic. Then again with u boats in the South Atlantic.

As Z says. I’ve no words to express my honest thoughts on the matter.
 Mike Tindall - zippy
>>Aged 18 my old man was on Arctic Convoys to Murmansk & Archangel seeing his fellow >>Merchant Mariners go down, or up if they were on ammunitions boats, with their ships.

There are some astonishingly brave people and normal people that find themselves in extraordinary situations - heroes all.

I know that I have mentioned it here before, but a good tale and all that...

Mrs Z's grandad joined the Black Watch in WW1 aged 14 or 15, lying about his age. The recruitment staff and army must have known he was underage, the photos of him at the time showed a malnourished twig of boy from Elgin.

He was sent to France and was found shot and half dead after a battle, by some nuns, who hid him from the Germans and nursed him back to health.
 Mike Tindall - sooty123
>> Edward has a chest full of medals and a uniform yet he quit the Royal
>> Marines after only a few months.
>>

Normally it's 5 years service from the date of the jubilee, however for members of the inner Royal family it counts from when you were born. Hence loads of jubilee medals after only a few months in the RM.
 Mike Tindall - zippy
>>Prince Edward...

Miss and Mrs Z met him at a garden party just in 2019 (ish). Said he was charming.

Re the uniforms, I really think Harry should be allowed to wear his uniform, he served for 10 years after all, that's over a quarter of his life.

Mike Tindall - Zero
Yes he should have been allowed to wear the uniform, rank and gongs he left with.

I think the issue was that after he left active service he was promoted to an honorary ceremonial rank and then demoted when he went AWOL and - Quote retired British military personnel are not allowed to wear uniform unless they are in an honorary appointment and had been authorized to wear one. Instead, they wear their military medals pinned to civilian clothes.

So you end up with the only two royals who actually served in a theatre of war, in civies and the rest who havent in uniform.

Bit weird that
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 16 Sep 22 at 09:14
 Mike Tindall - sooty123
As they say, it's their dressing up box so they can do as they please. Anyway they'll all be getting another one next year for the coronation, although with 200k other people.
 Mike Tindall - legacylad
What coronation ?
Is Charlie boy not expected to stay long in his new role ?
Apologies if I’ve missed something
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 16 Sep 22 at 10:05
 Mike Tindall - sooty123
It's a 2 part deal, now and the other bit later on. Part 2 is roughly 6-12 months after part 1 (now).
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 16 Sep 22 at 10:24
 Mike Tindall - Zero
Yeah its a show of two halves, Bit like the Harry Potter show.
 Mike Tindall - legacylad
>> Yeah its a show of two halves, Bit like the Harry Potter show.
>>
I thought he’d signed a document and was now a proper king. Didn’t realise there was a coronation ceremony.
My knowledge of royal protocols is woeful.
I’ll make darned sure I’m in Spain up a mountain somewhere that day
 Mike Tindall - Manatee
Being born in 1953 I was given a silver plated teaspoon to commemorate the Coronation that year. Sadly I haven't seen it since the house fire.
 Mike Tindall - Zero
>> Being born in 1953

Being born in '54 I was given B all.
 Mike Tindall - Dog
Being born in '52, I was given the best gift there is.
 Mike Tindall - sooty123
I think I've got a large pencil from King George VI's coronation. Given out to school children i believe. Not come across it in a bit.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 16 Sep 22 at 15:52
 Mike Tindall - Zero

>> I’ll make darned sure I’m in Spain up a mountain somewhere that day

Probably a mistake, Its an important part of British History, and will be good watch in a colourful and specatacular way
 Mike Tindall - Bobby
This is an interesting point that my mates and I were talking about.
We are all anti Monarchy but also realise that this is a potentially once in a lifetime historical event.
It would be good if someone could say here are the x,y and z that is actually historically important and cut out all the wailing and North Korean level of coverage!
 Mike Tindall - smokie
I guess what you mean is you secretly want to watch it but don't want to be caught being a bit mainstream by your mates.

In case you missed it, someone has died and someone has taken over the throne. It really oughtn't be too tricky to work out for yourself which the historically important bits are. :-)

And if the coverage isn't suiting you, just turn it off. There are a million streaming services showing plenty of stuff among which there must be loads of stuff which will amuse you. And then there's outdoors, and other things you could be doing instead of being a couch potato, if you don't like it.

I've not been watching much but I'm quite happy for the coverage to be there for those who want to.
 Mike Tindall - sooty123
It would be good if someone could say here are the x,y and z that
>> is actually historically important and cut out all the wailing and North Korean level of
>> coverage!
>

Nearly all popular events have a summary on some sort of catch up service, there's also things like YouTube.
You might have heard of them ;-)
 Mike Tindall - bathtub tom
>> realise that this is a potentially once in a lifetime historical event.

Eleven-year-old grandson summed it up. He lives in Zeddo's neck of the woods and when asked if he'd like to go into London to witness any of the occasion, replied nah, reckon there'll be two more in my lifetime.
 Mike Tindall - Zero
>> >> realise that this is a potentially once in a lifetime historical event.
>>
>> Eleven-year-old grandson summed it up. He lives in Zeddo's neck of the woods and when
>> asked if he'd like to go into London to witness any of the occasion, replied
>> nah, reckon there'll be two more in my lifetime.

Its touch and go if Charlie outlives me, so this may be my only.
 Mike Tindall - Manatee
>>I'll make darned sure I'm in Spain up a mountain somewhere that day

We were in Germany when the news came through of the Queen's death.

One of my fellow travellers got into conversation with a Brit in the hotel who was ex-mil. This latter gentleman had, he said, received a phone call from a former colleague quite early that morning to say that "London Bridge has fallen down" i.e., the Queen died much earlier in the day.

Perhaps this got mangled in the telling, and perhaps it was more like "London Bridge is about to fall down", but it sounds more or less credible. But then, legends do.

There are allegedly all sorts of mediaeval procedures on the death of the monarch, e.g. those in line of succession acknowledging the new sovereign by kissing of hands, various people witnessing that the monarch is actually dead, and so on. Things that used to be important when people killed each other over kingships. Whatever this arcane stuff is, the monarch can only be dead when it is complete.

Make of that what you will.
 Mike Tindall - Zero

>> There are allegedly all sorts of mediaeval procedures on the death of the monarch, e.g.
>> those in line of succession acknowledging the new sovereign by kissing of hands, various people
>> witnessing that the monarch is actually dead, and so on. Things that used to be
>> important when people killed each other over kingships. Whatever this arcane stuff is, the monarch
>> can only be dead when it is complete.
>>
>> Make of that what you will.

Sometimes they used to cart the corpse round the country to show the outer reaches of the unconnected country that the leader had died.
>> Sometimes they used to cart the corpse round the country to show the outer reaches
>> of the unconnected country that the leader had died.

It's reputed that when Offa died they were transporting his body to Colchester I believe. By the time they got to Bedford the smell was so high they planted him in an island in the river. The island was washed away in a subsequent flood.
>> What coronation ?
>> Is Charlie boy not expected to stay long in his new role ?
>> Apologies if I’ve missed something

The late Queen acceded to the throne in February 1952 but the Coronation was in June 1953. That was in the post war era austerity and mid C20 coms so delay this time will be shorter. Thought to be pencilled in for Spring 2023.

A cynic would add that Truss will call a GE very shortly after.
>> Anyway they'll all be getting another one next year for the coronation,

SWMBO's getting wound up by the merkins referring to when the spaniel gets 'coronated'. D'yer think it'll be done by a vet?
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Fri 16 Sep 22 at 11:52
 Mike Tindall - Robin O'Reliant
David Beckham is in the queue with a reported 12 hour wait.

He really is desperate for that knighthood.
 Mike Tindall - legacylad
:-))
 Mike Tindall - zippy
>> David Beckham is in the queue with a reported 12 hour wait.
>>
>> He really is desperate for that knighthood.
>>

I think David Beckham has an OBE. Is that a knighthood?

Anyhow, he gets much more kudos from me for queuing for 12 hours than the MPs and other celebs that use the "VIP" entrance.

"all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others" - George Orwell.
>> I think David Beckham has an OBE. Is that a knighthood?

No, the OBE is quite well down the pecking order of gongs.

A knighthood would make him Sir David Beckham.
 Mike Tindall - Zero

>> I think David Beckham has an OBE. Is that a knighthood?

No, one below - He need to convert his O to a K. KBE.
>> No, one below - He need to convert his O to a K. KBE.

The CBE sits between OBE and KBE.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_British_Empire

The lowest tier is the MBE. Used to go to Clerks and Cleaners but now seems to be awarded more widely.
 Mike Tindall - Clk Sec
From my time in the military, I believe it was the MBE for commissioned
ranks, and the BEM for non-commissioned ranks.

My late father was nearly there having been MiD just after WW2.
 Mike Tindall - sooty123
>> From my time in the military, I believe it was the MBE for commissioned
>> ranks, and the BEM for non-commissioned ranks.
>>
>>
In theory anyone can be awarded anyone of them. In practice it's MBE for junior ranks upto Knighthood for 3* & 4*.
 Mike Tindall - sooty123
Looks like Harry did get to wear his uniform after all.
 Mike Tindall - Zero
He did, He and Andy got special dispensation for the Vigil, not at the funeral on Monday tho.
 Mike Tindall - sooty123
I read that, well I guess at least he got to wear it once.
 Mike Tindall - Fullchat
I bet the royal tailors have been really busy getting all the uniforms to fit.
 Mike Tindall - DeeW
Unkind RR, he queued for ten hours apparently, before a couple of football fans who recognised him when they got to the ‘concertina’ section, put him on social media. His media agency would have been doing a rubbish job if he was doing it for attention.
 Mike Tindall - Fullchat
I was pondering over the arrest of the guy he went to touch the coffin. Jumped on by those charged with security.

Arrest for what exactly?? I don't see an actual offence, just taking advantage of the circumstances and physical layout.

Don't support what he did but nevertheless in the cold light of day what did he do wrong? Having been overcome with emotion and wishing to be close to his deceased Queen. Potential claim for damages.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 18 Sep 22 at 15:59
 Mike Tindall - CGNorwich
Muhammad Khan, 28, from east London, was charged on Saturday under the Public Order Act for “behaviour intending to cause alarm, harassment or distress”.
>> Muhammad Khan, 28, from east London, was charged on Saturday under the Public Order Act
>> for “behaviour intending to cause alarm, harassment or distress”.

I guess the charge will depend on what the police, those guarding the catafalque and members of the public present witnessed.

Unless he had a political motive, or even in spite of it, I also suspect psychiatric reports will be involved at some point?
 Mike Tindall - sooty123
Is there a video of what he did, i saw a couple of stills of him being arrested but that's it.
 Mike Tindall - Fullchat
There was a short clip circulating of him being 'placed' on the ground then removed but nothing prior to that. Cant find it now.
>> Is there a video of what he did, i saw a couple of stills of
>> him being arrested but that's it.

Reports are that the live stream(s) were averted as soon as the incident kicked off.

Whether they, or any other filming (as part of the Palace of Westminster I'd expect the hall to have good CCTV), picked up anything useful will have to wait for the court case.
Latest Forum Posts