Non-motoring > The Lionesses Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 31

The Lionesses - Robin O'Reliant
Well, no one else has said it, but what a great game and well done England.
 The Lionesses - CGNorwich
Enjoyed the game. Very entertaining.
 The Lionesses - Zero
Knock Knock! Whos there? "Football, I'm home."

Generally I am very impressed with the standard of womens football, its come on leaps and bounds.

Except the Goalkeepers. They are all useless, and always look like they were the last person against the wall to be picked so went in goal.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 31 Jul 22 at 21:43
 The Lionesses - CGNorwich
Partly in mitigation they do suffer in general from a height disadvantage compared to men.
 The Lionesses - zippy
Thoroughly enjoyed the game - edge of the seat stuff!

Very well done to the team and all their support!
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 31 Jul 22 at 21:53
 The Lionesses - legacylad
Well done the Lionesses.

I just wished they played more often.

Far more tables free in the beer garden this evening.
 The Lionesses - Zero
>> Partly in mitigation they do suffer in general from a height disadvantage compared to men.
>>

A bit but its more than that, poor choices of ball handling, positioning and distribution. Thats poor coaching at work.
 The Lionesses - Ambo
Great game but somehow me and my wife found it less involving than top class male football.
 The Lionesses - VxFan
Rumour has it they're still struggling to leave Wembley car park ;)
 The Lionesses - Bromptonaut

There's an internet meme doing the rounds where, after 56 years of promises, the women have said "sod it, we'll do the job ourselves"
 The Lionesses - Duncan
>>
>> There's an internet meme doing the rounds where, after 56 years of promises, the women
>> have said "sod it, we'll do the job ourselves"
>>

Well of course the women did it in 1994 and the men in 2003, but that was a different shaped ball.
 The Lionesses - Dog
>>me and my wife

My wife and I.

(*_*)
 The Lionesses - Runfer D'Hills
Jolly well done by the team.

But, while we are on the subject of pedantry, the symbols on the shirts are not lions, in heraldic terms, they are leopards.

Just saying…

;-)
 The Lionesses - zippy
Southgate has announced the new team for the men's world cup....

i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/07/31/21/60915839-0-image-a-125_1659300044237.jpg
 The Lionesses - Zero
>> Jolly well done by the team.
>>
>> But, while we are on the subject of pedantry, the symbols on the shirts are
>> not lions, in heraldic terms, they are leopards.
>>
>> Just saying…

Just so Pedantry does not get a bad name.

They are in fact, in heraldic terms, Gules, three lions passant guardant in pale or armed and langued azure, . They are sometimes known as leopards.

Just saying.
 The Lionesses - James Loveless
Most of us will remember (possibly for the "wrong" reasons) that Chloe Kelly removed her top after scoring. I see Gary Lineker got himself into hot water by Tweeting: "Kelly is England's heroine, bra none." The comment was described as "casual sexism" and "moronic". Lineker deleted the Tweet, but has refused to apologise.

Is this simply a case of someone always taking offence when a joke is made? Or am I missing something?
 The Lionesses - Manatee
Quite a good joke.
 The Lionesses - smokie
A friend sent me a link to an old TV clip featuring Mel Smith and Griff-Rhys Jones, probably from the 80s, where they are part of a crowd watching a female football team, which ends up with the ladies taking off their shirts in celebration - but have no bras on.

Even if I could find it online, I wouldn't repost it anywhere public these days. It did however remind me how funny Mel and Griff were at times (in their day!)
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 2 Aug 22 at 10:30
 The Lionesses - zippy
>> A friend sent me a link to an old TV clip featuring Mel Smith and
>> Griff-Rhys Jones, probably from the 80s, where they are part of a crowd watching a
>> female football team, which ends up with the ladies taking off their shirts in celebration
>> - but have no bras on.
>>
>> Even if I could find it online, I wouldn't repost it anywhere public these days.
>> It did however remind me how funny Mel and Griff were at times (in their
>> day!)
>>

It's been on YouTube for years. Nothing worse than "Page 3" stuff and no more indecent than men taking their shirts off or dare I say "double standards".

Please delete this link if you feel it's inappropriate - but it shouldn't be...

NOT SAFE FOR WORK: CONTAINS BRIEF FEMALE NUDITY

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5CH5eHNpTc

NOT SAFE FOR WORK: CONTAINS BRIEF FEMALE NUDITY
 The Lionesses - Dog
One in the eye for women's football knockers.
>> It's been on YouTube for years. Nothing worse than "Page 3" stuff and no more
>> indecent than men taking their shirts off or dare I say "double standards".
>>
>> Please delete this link if you feel it's inappropriate - but it shouldn't be...
>>
>> NOT SAFE FOR WORK: CONTAINS BRIEF FEMALE NUDITY
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5CH5eHNpTc
>>
>> NOT SAFE FOR WORK: CONTAINS BRIEF FEMALE NUDITY

I don't think I'd over worry about it at work though perhaps not if my screen were visble to colleagues.

In the Civil Service we were supposed to report the issue if we accidentally landed on anything offensive. I don't think that would cross the threshold.

A then colleague, immediately senior to me but not my manager, searched Google for a picture of a particular (male) Senior Tribunal Judge using just the gentleman's name and the first result was a naked and upstanding male - not Judge S - and came to me as the bod responsible for IT security in a flat spin

Rang IT security, reported it, nothing more heard.
 The Lionesses - tyrednemotional
>>
>> I don't think I'd over worry about it at work though perhaps not if my
>> screen were visble to colleagues.
>>

...after all, it's not tractors, is it...
 The Lionesses - zippy
>> Or am I missing something?
>>

It's no worse than the dreadful puns that we see here at times.

Perhaps a case of foot in mouth but nothing offensive IMHO.
 The Lionesses - Zero
>> >> Or am I missing something?
>> >>
>>
>> It's no worse than the dreadful puns that we see here at times.

Just a bunch of stuffed shirts.
 The Lionesses - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Just a bunch of stuffed shirts.
>>
>>

...the Lionesses?...
While I can often see why people take offence where others dismiss it as snowflakery I can see nothing whatsoever wrong with Lineker's tweet.

Quite a good pun.
 The Lionesses - Ted

Our little dog wears a chest harness for walkies. She jumps onto a chair when I say " come and put your bra on "

She doesn't seem to mind at all !

Ted
 The Lionesses - Rudedog
I'm not a football fan but happened to turn over just as this happened.... isn't there a rule about excessive celebrating after scoring??? Also pretty sure the female commentator on the BBC made a comment about her saying something along the lines of her probably being approached by sports-bra companies for advertising...
 The Lionesses - zippy
>> I'm not a football fan but happened to turn over just as this happened.... isn't
>> there a rule about excessive celebrating after scoring??? Also pretty sure the female commentator on
>> the BBC made a comment about her saying something along the lines of her probably
>> being approached by sports-bra companies for advertising...
>>
>>

There is, she got a yellow card.
 The Lionesses - Rudedog
Didn't see that...obviously distracted by something else....
>> I'm not a football fan but happened to turn over just as this happened.... isn't
>> there a rule about excessive celebrating after scoring??? Also pretty sure the female commentator on
>> the BBC made a comment about her saying something along the lines of her probably
>> being approached by sports-bra companies for advertising...
>>

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/03/secret-support-did-prescription-bras-help-lionesses-to-euro-2022-glory
 The Lionesses - zippy
>>
>> www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/03/secret-support-did-prescription-bras-help-lionesses-to-euro-2022-glory
>>

Reminds me of a very old joke...

An attractive lady goes to the doctor with sore nipples caused by excessive jogging.

The doctor takes one look; "Joggers Nipple" he exclaims. "Let me numb that for you"....

The lady is appreciative and says go ahead doctor at which point he puts his lips to her nipple, "num, num, num, num"
Latest Forum Posts