Computer Related > iPhone XS camera Miscellaneous
Thread Author: John Boy Replies: 23

iPhone XS camera - John Boy
When I taking photos, I don't have to stick to the default aspect ratio of 16:9. I can opt for 4:3 or 1:1 i.e. square instead and often do. When I do, however, the camera also saves the 16:9 version. How can I stop that happening?

iPhone XS camera - Zero
you really don't want to stop it, upon reviewing later you may find out its the better option for cropping. If you don't want them after review, delete them.
>> you really don't want to stop it, upon reviewing later you may find out its
>> the better option for cropping. If you don't want them after review, delete them.
>>
If I didn't want to stop it, I wouldn't have asked my question. I prefer to make my mind up when I take the picture and be done with it.
 iPhone XS camera - Zero
Whatever.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 1 Aug 22 at 09:07
>> Whatever. Fix it yourself.
>>
Thankyou.
 iPhone XS camera - VxFan
Not sure if this will work or not.

Found via a Google.

To set Square mode, 16:9, 4:3 mode etc as your default mode for taking pictures, open the “Settings” app on your iPhone, then go to “Camera” settings, select “Preserve Settings” menu, and turn on “Creative Controls” toggle switch.
I'm not sure either, Dave, at the moment, because the photo programs - Faststone Image Viewer and Photos - are both refusing to show or download photos taken after the end of July.
Dave's suggestion does work in that it allows you to reset the default mode for taking pictures. I've reset it from 16:9 to 4:3, which I'm much more likely to use. Unfortunately it doesn't help me to do what I really want, which is to take and save just one picture in a mode I choose in the camera.

Once the download software has been turned on, it cannot show or download any photos which have not already been taken. To do that, you have to restart Windows.
 iPhone XS camera - smokie
Are there different camera apps like there are with Android? If so maybe a different one will do what you want.
 iPhone XS camera - VxFan
>> Once the download software has been turned on, it cannot show or download any photos
>> which have not already been taken. To do that, you have to restart Windows.

Download software? You don't need to use that.

If the phone is plugged into the PC via a USB lead, then treat it as any other portable storage medium.

Open file explorer and go to the Apple iPhone Directory > Internal Storage > DCIM.

Then select the folder(s) the photos you want are in. IIRC, they are displayed in YYYYMM format. So if you want photos you took in March 2021, go to the 202103 directory.

Copy them across to a folder on your hard drive if you're going to edit them. That way you don't lose the master copy that's on the phone.
Yes, I've looked at that, Dave, but I don't see any advantage over the way I'm already doing it.
 iPhone XS camera - CGNorwich
Whilst I undersand what you want to do I'm a little unclear as to your reason for wanting to do it.

Is it simply to save memory on your phone? If you back up to icloud then they take up little space and deleting the original will only make a marginal difference.
No, it's nothing to do with saving memory. I just don't find viewing photos on a phone to be a very satisfying experience. Therefore I want them onto my PC as soon as possible. The only ones I leave on the phone are those I might want to show someone whilst out and about.

I don't use iCloud or anything similar - I want to be solely responsible for looking after my photos.

I've been taking photos since 1969 and learnt to be economical with film. The way you can easily take multiple photos with digital cameras is foreign to me. I can make my mind up quickly where photography is concerned and the originals, which arise in the situation I describe, are just clutter. I've already got about 10,000 digital photos on my hard disk, plus scanned slides and negatives from the film era, so cataloguing is already difficult.
 iPhone XS camera - T junction
>learnt to be economical with film.
Know what you mean, I was learning photography around 1974 using these at college
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJq04wKCKSY
6 sheets of film for a shooting session was luxury.
Around that time I worked with a photographer who persuaded Mr Gandolfi to make him a camera. It was a beautiful thing which he foolishly left on display on the seat of a car parked near Buckingham Palace.
As a student I don't think I appreciated the beauty of the Gandolfi, the Sinar's that some got to use looked so much more "technical" sinar.swiss/products/cameras
If you don't mind me asking, T j, where did you study and did you take up photography as a career?
Did C&G Photographic Technicians Certificate at West Bromwich College of Commerce & Technology (if I remember it correctly) in Wednesbury, West Midlands. Worked in photography for a year or so before moving on to other things. Happy to talk more off forum, Mods can give you my email address.
>> Happy to talk more off forum, Mods can give you my email address.
>>
Thanks. I'll do that.
 iPhone XS camera - VxFan
>> Mods can give you my email address.

Done.
 iPhone XS camera - VxFan
>> Yes, I've looked at that, Dave, but I don't see any advantage over the way
>> I'm already doing it.

You said your download software wasn't working correctly, so surely the method I suggested would be an advantage to you?
 iPhone XS camera - smokie
Aren't all these unwanted images saved in a separate place, or with different naming format, making selection for deletion easy?
>> Aren't all these unwanted images saved in a separate place, or with different naming format making selection for deletion easy?
>>
If I understand your question correctly, smokie, I think the answer is No and it's rather the opposite. If I take a photo, which is not in the default format, it is saved following the existing numbering scheme, BUT the letter E is placed in front of the number. That means it does not appear next to the version in the default format, which I don't want to keep. If it did, then deletion of the unwanted photos would be straightforward.
>> You said your download software wasn't working correctly, so surely the method I suggested would be an advantage to you?
>>
Not really, because it seemed to have the same problem as my existing software.
Latest Forum Posts