Non-motoring > Hip replacement anyone ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 111

Hip replacement anyone ? - legacylad
After almost a decade of slowly increasing pain in one hip, and taking increasingly strong painkillers to keep walking, the surgeon told me today that I need to bite the bullet and get a new one.
I’m terrified of hospitals so have deferred as long as reasonable...I’m fine hanging off a cliff face or striding across a knife sharp arête in the Alps ( until 2 years ago) but hospitals bring me out in a cold sweat.
A 12 month wait or 6 weeks if I pay privately. Nothing new there.
He assured me that a new hip would last me my lifetime ( does he know something I don’t)... I’m reasonably fit, but piling on a few pounds since I can no longer stride out on long distances, and my first love of backpacking is currently a no go.
I’ve been banned from one of my more strenuous Spanish walking groups, and as Chair of an LDWA group I’ve been unable to go on their walks for the past 24+ months.

Hopefully from op back to full fitness will be 3-4 months....I’ll check out Pilates both both pre and post op, see if that helps the recovery process, and I may even be able to start (slow) jogging again, something I haven’t been able to do for several years.

Has anyone any experience of this op please.....?
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Zero
I'll let you know, my friend went in Monday, came out this morning. Had it done privately.

Your NHS 12 months wait is, to be frank, a little optimistic.

Your recovery timescale depends on physio, if you have a private tame one, get in touch, if you dont, find one. Its not a matter of the hip, its a matter of correcting the issues of bad gait and posture you have built up guarding the duff hip, and the ones you introduce mentally guarding the new one.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - neiltoo
Mrs Too would agree with Zero's advice.

Classic perfect recovery from private operation.

Was climbing stairs 48 hours, home immediately after some physyiotherapy.

Started walking on crutches at home increasing to 1 mile a day (12 return trips along our flat avenue and several circuits of our living room when wet). I noted that she was pushing both crutches forward together and walking forward, which seemed unbalanced to me. Suggested she alternate the crutches and move the opposite leg, which improved her gait.

Visited a local physio who said she was doing everything right, and didn't need to see him again.

Took about 12 weeks.

Man up and get it done ASAP! and best wishes.

Good advice is to check up on your surgeon's track record. A good one will tell you.
Last edited by: neiltoo on Thu 21 Jul 22 at 15:29
Thanks Z....I’ve had increasing back and knee pain the past 15/18 months as a direct result of the hip.
And I’m not very dignified getting over awkward stone stiles.
Fortunately there are none of those in Spain....

I’m a big scaredy cat around hospitals....need to grow a pair and crack on with it.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 21 Jul 22 at 15:29
 Hip replacement anyone ? - sherlock47
I must know about 10 people who have had hip replacements. 1 privately. Not statistically significant in view of the small number, however the only one that was problematic was the (self funded) private operation. A bone infection was ultimately diagnosed, the private hospital could not do anything and denied all responsibility, he was referred back to the NHS and underwent removal of the joint, a period without a joint, a temporary joint (with antibiotic properties?) a period of excessive pain and disability and a long term heavy limp.

My father had a NHS hip done under local anaesthetic (he was over 90 at the time) and was conscious the whole time. Now that would bring me out in a cold sweat! Took away all the pain and was walking within 10days after good physio.

Come to your own conclusions.

>> My father had a NHS hip done under local anaesthetic (he was over 90 at
>> the time) and was conscious the whole time.

Yeah, thats the norm, they use a spinal.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Runfer D'Hills
I don’t know anyone who has had it done. But then I suppose I’m quite a bit younger than most here…
;-)
Despite your numerous efforts to get there via the injurious short cut.
Same surgeon for me whether through the NHS or privately. I’ve heard good reports about him from neighbours....he told me that Airedale NHS Trust don’t currently allow private ops at AGH, but he’d operate on me at the Yorkshire Clinic instead.

Rightly or wrongly, I’ve always thought that in the event of the sheet hitting the fan during an op at a private hospital, you’d need to get to an A & E NHS ASAP.
He confirmed that, and I’d like as many odds stacked in my favour as possible.

>> Rightly or wrongly, I’ve always thought that in the event of the sheet hitting the
>> fan during an op at a private hospital, you’d need to get to an A
>> & E NHS ASAP.

Yeah but what they are very bad at is a "crash" your chances surviving that at a private hospital is poor.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - sherlock47
I have been told of a private hospital in Ipswich which has a sign up in the operating theatre, 'In the event of cardiac arrest, dial 999.'

Not much good with average response times continuing o increase. Although a DNR declaration may save you on post-operative care fees.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - CGNorwich
I guess you have to weigh up the very long wait for an NHS op against the theoretical benefit of the full equipped A and E being at hand. It’s a pretty safe operation these days though with mortality rates around 0.3%
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Stuartli
A friend's 90-year-old relative had a fall a few days ago and needed a hip replacement.

She was taken to the local NHS general hospital and had the operation a day or two later, which proved successful, although she had to go into intensive care for a day or so.

On a normal ward now and waiting to go into a convalescence home for a rest period. It's her second hip replacement operation over the years, but it's not surprising that both have proved very successful as it's one of the most common operations carried out.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Stuartli
>> It’s a pretty safe operation these days though with mortality rates around 0.3%>>

My late mother had a hip replacement operation in the early 1960s - we reckoned it added at least 20 years to her life.

The nurses actually started her daily briefly walking routine (with support) the day after the operation!
0.3% mortality sounds like a lot to me.
So 1 in 300 who go for a hip replacement come out in a wooden overcoat ?

That’s just put me right off. Especially in a private hospital, albeit with the surgeon who would have done it on the NHS.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - tyrednemotional
..SWMBO is 4.5 weeks into recovery.

NHS, 5 months waiting. Operated 14:30 Monday, out 13:30 Tuesday, and climbed stairs that evening.

As posted elsewhere, we had a bit of a hiccough when she passed out the next morning, but she has been walking 1.5 miles with crutches for a week or so now, migrated to walking poles yesterday (same distance) and is mobile around the house without.

She was apprehensive about it, particularly having it done under local anaesthetic. She can't really remember very much about it at all, given the sedation. If you need it, just get it done - it is likely to make a big difference.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Manatee
>> 0.3% mortality sounds like a lot to me.
>> So 1 in 300 who go for a hip replacement come out in a wooden
>> overcoat ?
>>
>> That’s just put me right off. Especially in a private hospital, albeit with the surgeon
>> who would have done it on the NHS.

Sounds pretty good to me. I thought it would be worse. The average will include lots of really quite elderly and relatively frail people with all sorts of co-morbidities.

If it were possible to get odds for a male otherwise in yomping condition? like yourself I think they would be quite a bit better.

Consider also - for all males between 65-74, the annual death risk from all causes is nearer 1 in 50. And probably worse for the ones who don't/can't exercise.

A successful hip-op might actually extend your life, not shorten it.

I also recall being told that the fatality risk for an angiogram was actually about 1 in 400. I applied similar reasoning - the average patient having an angiogram is probably not in a great place to start with (I survived BTW).

Hope that helps:)

Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 21 Jul 22 at 17:50
 Hip replacement anyone ? - John Boy
Re: Private v NHS - private definitely quicker, but not necessarily better. One of my daughters damaged a knee ligament playing football. The private operation was a failure which had to be sorted by the NHS.

Re: The fear - my partner's brother had a fear of needles and scalpels due to a really bad experience in his adolescence. He put off operations on Dupuytrens Contracture in his hands until most of his fingers were permanently curled up. He took the plunge last year and had one hand done (local anaesthetic). Now he can't wait to get the other (much worse one) done.

Of course you might find yourself outsourced to a private hospital by the NHS.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - bathtub tom
I keep hearing problems of elderly folk having general anaesthetic bringing on dementia. I've experience in one case where it may be true. I wonder if that's why so many procedures are carried out under a local?

Like LL, any procedure scares me to death. I've to go to my dentist later this month and sweating already!
General anaesthesia is generally more risky than local, more so as you get older I guess.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - James Loveless
"... any procedure scares me to death. I've to go to my dentist later this month and sweating already!"

I know the feeling very well. For years I had serious issues about going to the dentist and as for going for a blood test...

In the last few years I've spent more time at a hospital (in-patient, out-patient; surgery, scans and tests, various endoscopies) than in the whole of my life before. All I can say is that the "procedures" get easier with time - for me at least. Which is not to say I don't get very nervous, but somehow it doesn't weigh on me so much and I don't worry so far in advance.
>> All I
>> can say is that the "procedures" get easier with time - for me at least.
>> Which is not to say I don't get very nervous, but somehow it doesn't weigh
>> on me so much and I don't worry so far in advance.

I am spectacularly laissez-faire about going into hospital for tests, procedures or surgery of any kind or severity. Bothers me not one jot.

Bothers the hell out of me that I have to share a ward with lunatics or other deeply irritating patients (I have had my share of them believe me) afterwards, but most of all I am deeply deeply bothered that it all might have been a waste of time and didnt resolve the issue,
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 21 Jul 22 at 23:16
 Hip replacement anyone ? - henry k
>> I keep hearing problems of elderly folk having general anaesthetic bringing on dementia.
>> I've experience in one case where it may be true.
>> I wonder if that's why so many procedures are carried out under a local?
>>
From my observations of SWMBO every op made her dementia significantly worse.
Certainly at one of the earlier ops it was dismissed but IMO that was rubbish.
She had 2 x knee replacements and later a heart valve +
Recognition of the situation has improved but would avoid a general knock out if possible.

www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/risk-factors-and-prevention/general-anaesthetics

>> >> I keep hearing problems of elderly folk having general anaesthetic bringing on dementia.
>> >> I've experience in one case where it may be true.
>> >> I wonder if that's why so many procedures are carried out under a local?

Its not just the GA that hastens it, Its being removed from home for a while, the change of routine, faces change, fear, worry, temporary disability they all contribute.
>> I wonder if that's why so many procedures are carried out under a local?
>>

..it's so you're awake enough to tell them they've started on the wrong hip....
>> Of course you might find yourself outsourced to a private hospital by the NHS.

Yeah I was outsourced to the private hospital during my last op - mainly because of covid. The good thing about this private hospital is that it has a connecting underground tunnel to the emergency room in the NHS Hospital.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Duncan
St Peter's?
>> St Peter's?

Yeah its linked to the Runnymede.
I've just been reading the lengthy PDF given to me after my recent hip operation. It's obviously about fractures, but this section seems relevant to LL:

"You can gradually resume more normal physical activities at three months, for example: swimming, cycling, bowls, gardening and dancing. Jogging has high impact and may cause a hemi-arthroplasty or total hip replacement to fail earlier, so we advise against regularly running a large number of miles. Being active is good for building your bone and muscle strength to reduce future problems with osteoporosis."
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Falkirk Bairn
SWMBO had a hip done on NHS about 5 years.
In/out in 2 days - operation noon on Monday discharges noon Wednesday - in saying noon Wed we had to wait another 2+ hours for the medication - staff shortages in the pharmacy.

Success as the acute pain is gone but she has side effects of the surgery - damaged nerves and "tingling" sensations. Otherwise 100%.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Terry
A few thoughts:

1. Wife many years ago used to work in private hospital was very clear - anything complicated go to the NHS. Carpets and fine food don't make up for a lack of emergency capability.

Hip operations are relatively low risk and routine. Question is how quickly do you want it done, and is it affordable..

2. The mortality risk is somewhat skewed. Those needing hip operations are typically older and likely to have other health issues

If otherwise in good health and moderately fit I suspect risks are much lower than average - although there are no guarantees.

Note the risk (obesity, heart, etc) associated with stopping exercise due to hip problems may anyway exceed the operation risk.

3. Many things in life make folk worry irrationally. Hospitals, of which I sadly have too much experience, do not worry me. Precipitate roads and paths with no safety barriers do.

The objective behaviour is to accept that if risks are low and easily managed by many, your reaction is anomalous - i short, get on with it.
Does it occur to anyone else that there might be a commentary about the forum demographics buried in the fact that today’s most popular topic is hip replacements?
;-)
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Fullchat
We could move on to cataracts :)

Hip replacement anyone ? - Dog
Or incontinence pads.

(*_*)
...or arm transplants...
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Ambo
To return to the OP, some advice from a therapist:

When feeling apprehensive,remember that bravery only works in particular areas of behaviour, does not apply to all .
Do not delay starting down this necessary path.Needless delay only increases apprehension.
Prepare yourself. Learn about proper deep breathing,using the whole body. [Someone who does Yoga will be able to show you] Do a slow session daily. At the same time concentrate only on the present minute ,a form of mindfulness.You will build up the ability to switch off,calm the body and mind together.
Now is the time to start,so that by the time you have surgery you will be able to use this technique very easily
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Bromptonaut
I broke the neck of my femur when my Brompton did a flick roll underneath me around ten years ago. It was explained that while they might screw it a complete replacement was the alternative if that did not work.

In the event canulated screws did the job so I ended up with a surgical wound similar to a replacement but kept my own joint.

Was up next day and started physio within 48 hours, firstly the basics of using crutches to maove around then moving from standing to sitting and vv. Finally we tackled stairs. I was out witihn a week followed by 6 weeks in crutches. Think I was formally on sick leave but work supplied me with a laptop etc so I could keep myself in the loop.

In hospital I was, at 52, apart from somebody who'd come off a motorbike the youngest by 30 years. Others were all old men, at least one old enough to have served in WW2, who had fallen in or about their homes. Two were clearly demented.

My mother had both hips replaced after falls. The first in her mid eighties from which she recovered but never walked again without a frame at home and out of doors. She could manage with a stick but lack of confidence and a suspicion the tumble at home, she was on the floor all night, was down to cerebral insufficiency.

Lived long enough after to celebrate her 90th. Another tumble at home at 91 affected the other leg. By this time her ongoing congestive heart failure was too much and she died without being discharged.

Both were done under spinal block as she was way to high a risk for a GA.
“ Prepare yourself. Learn about proper deep breathing,using the whole body. [Someone who does Yoga will be able to show you] Do a slow session daily. At the same time concentrate only on the present minute ,a form of mindfulness.You will build up the ability to switch off,calm the body and mind together.”

Alternatively “Don’t be a wimp, just get on with it”. ;-)
>> Alternatively “Don’t be a wimp, just get on with it”. ;-)
>>
Even if you're joking, CGN, that's not helpful. At least Ambo's trying, even if his suggestion isn't scientific enough for you.
>> >> Alternatively “Don’t be a wimp, just get on with it”. ;-)
>> >>
>> Even if you're joking, CGN, that's not helpful. At least Ambo's trying, even if his
>> suggestion isn't scientific enough for you.

He had a point tho, recovery from hip breaks/replacements is usually a matter of attitude, its very easy to fall into the role of disabled.

Whether you use Yoga, yoghurt or sheer b mindedness, the physio only has a brief time to cajole you, the rest of it is up to you.

And get to know your core and your pelvic floor.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Jul 22 at 14:28
>> Does it occur to anyone else that there might be a commentary about the forum
>> demographics buried in the fact that today’s most popular topic is hip replacements?
>> ;-)

you'll be pleased to know mine was because of a Motorbike accident in my youth. Falling off two wheeled things carries a bill to be paid
>> Does it occur to anyone else that there might be a commentary about the forum
>> demographics buried in the fact that today’s most popular topic is hip replacements?
>> ;-)
>>

Keep getting adds for Hip replacement surgery in India.

Makes a change from adds for pre paid funeral plans

>> Keep getting adds for Hip replacement surgery in India.
>>
>> Makes a change from adds for pre paid funeral plans

Use adblocker.
>>
>> >> Keep getting adds for Hip replacement surgery in India.
>> >>
>> >> Makes a change from adds for pre paid funeral plans
>>
>> Use adblocker.
>>

Might miss out on a bargain cremation though.
>>
>> Might miss out on a bargain cremation though.
>>

...that would be after the (attempted) hip replacement in India...?

(Ganges, anyone?)
 Hip replacement anyone ? - MD
With regard to the anaesthetic etc. I'm now 4 weeks post knee replacement. I don't know whether this applies to Hips as well, but I had a Spinal block which I think is a modern epidural although I'm happy to be corrected. I didn't have anything else and stayed wide awake throughout the whole procedure.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Rudedog
Spinals have their place, especially during Covid, they are limited in that they are a 'one shot' block so if the procedure takes longer than expected they start to wear off and can't be topped up so are often converted to a GA.

Most elective hips are safe although we are doing a lot of revisions when they become lose or infected, one of the issues with any kind of joint replacement is the use of the cement, it's vile and because of the chemicals used which can be carcinogenic before it goes hard, the most dangerous part of the replacement is when the cement goes in as it can cause massive drops in blood pressure, combine this with a spinal which also can have the side effect of dropping your BP and often a GA is safer even for the older patient.

I've had numerous GAs over the years, some for major ops and you can't beat a good dose of morphine!
 Hip replacement anyone ? - BiggerBadderDave
"successful hip-op might actually extend your life"

Yes, it was the mid 80s when Run-DMC introduced it into my vernacular and I'm still alive.
Just out of curiosity, can you opt to go outside of your Health Authority if you can somehow find out the waiting list is shorter ?

I suppose all waiting lists are fluid....I was told 12 months and counting in my area. Suppose I’m used to the nagging pain now so it’s forsnt prevent me walking reasonable distances, with painkillers and gritted teeth. Unfortunately I can’t walk those distances consecutive days.

Pilates appears to be recommended both pre and post op. Never tried it. Maybe I should.
Just not after an afternoon session in the pub.
Yes.
www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/about-the-nhs/your-choices-in-the-nhs/
I’m still getting out and about walking two days a week....painkillers with my breakfast, some more with my sandwiches, but nothing too strong in large quantities.

Lots of enquiries with contacts in the medical field lead me to believe that waiting lists on the NHS show no signs of reducing in the foreseeable, and as most of my social life revolves around walking and outdoor activities there’s no point in saving my money for a rainy day. Spend it and hopefully get back to doing the stuff I love. And appreciate again the company of good friends who do similar.

I’ve arranged another consultation (£250) out of area at a hospital which specialises in orthopaedics, and I thought that if I’m going to pay I may as well choose where my moola goes. My GP is doing me a referral letter which I’ll take to the consultation, so with luck and surgery I hope to be back in the mountains next Spring...assuming an op in November immediately after I return from an arranged trip to Spain.
A couple of guys I know were referred to the private sector by the NHS and the NHS paid.
Good.

On recovery, exercise as much as you can. In order to reach the joint, they have to disturb the long muscles in the leg (quadriceps?), and you have to build up their strength again. Walking does it, fortunately, but don't be tempted to lose the crutches too soon.

Save a little money for physio advice, it's worth it.

All the best

8o)
...JFDI..

In your circumstances, the risk/reward ratio seems to amply favour it.

SWMBO is now 6.5 weeks post-op. She was "signed-off" yesterday (albeit technically she isn't finally discharged until a further review, 1 year post-op).

We're up to 3+ miles walks on footpaths (not road/pavement) with poles (which she was using before anyway) twice a day and whilst there is still some way to go to ultimate articulation and mobility the hip pain is now non-existent, and most of any remaining discomfort is from rebuilding muscle tone.

She hasn't driven yet, but the consultant is comfortable with her doing so as soon as she is OK with an emergency stop. Insurance company are happy to take the medical advice.

We were lucky in that the (NHS) wait from first consultation to op was 5 months (the prospect of anything as low as three months was dangled). As, like you, our main enjoyment comes from such as walking/cycling, if it had been substantially longer, it would have been done privately.

I think there will be an amount of restricted articulation from here on (shoe/boot laces on one side are currently an issue, that hopefully will resolve) but the improvement in mobility, and lack of pain is very noticeable, even to me ;-). Virtually all intervention from me is now not required.
I’m definitely self funding the hip replacement. I was in touch with another Health Authority and was quoted 12+ months wait...I’m not putting everything on hold for that duration when I can cash in savings and hopefully return to my normal lifestyle. Lucky me.

I’m off to Spain earlier than normal this autumn....late September rather than late October, appreciate I won’t be able to join friends on their strenuous walks several times a week, but I’ll cut my cloth accordingly, take pain killers, and walk slower, shorter distances.

I visited Wrightington a few days ago....discussed several points I was curious about with the surgeon, then had various tests immediately afterward, which I wasn’t expecting. ECG, bloods taken, BP, iodine allergy test, MRSA swabs....looks like all systems go mid November when I return.

By next Spring I hope to be treading lightly over aretes and maybe even late season skiing, something I haven’t been able to do since 2017. Gotta have goals....
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 20 Aug 22 at 18:29
Swmbo is now 8 weeks post op.

A little bit limited in terms of getting a comfortable sleeping position, but improving.

BUT, this week is our first foray out in the motorhome since the event. Two walks of 7.5 miles and one of 6.5 over the three days here, and shorter evening strolls each day.

She volunteered this evening's walk, and said she had absolutely no knock-on effects from the longer, earlier walk.

Still some way to go, but she's so much more comfortable than pre-op already.
That’s good to know......and very reassuring for a chicken licken.
As you probably know I’ve been a member of the LDWA for several decades....joined when I broke my right wrist (badly) and had to give up competitive squash and 5 a side.

Long distance walking and back packing have been a huge part of my leisure time ever since...holidays were always either walking based in mountain areas or winter ski weeks. A 20 mile social walk, followed by a 25/30 mile Challenge walk the next day became the norm at weekends....I travelled all over the country to participate.

That stopped 10 years ago and I’ve prevaricated far too long....I can manage 8/10 slow miles with gritted teeth and strong pain killers. On a good day with low humidity. I’ve just got used to the pain...what’s put me off were stories from a neighbour whose hip replacement went horribly wrong. Twice.
..SWMBO was apprehensive pre-op as you are. We have both been walkers since the year dot, and frankly, she's postponed action for too long.

The difficulty her hip caused in negotiating stiles caused her to fall off one and break her shoulder - something that caused a re-appraisal.

Having now had the procedure, she would happily recommend it. Whilst it was done under local, which is a bit daunting in anticipation, she can't remember anything of it.

She's certainly not yet back to perfect (she never has been ;-) ), but even at this early stage she is more mobile and pain free than she has been for some time, and the progress so far is encouraging about further improvement.

On a risk/reward basis, for someone whose pursuits require mobility, it has to be seriously considered.

You will need someone to watch over you for a few weeks, though. She was home within 24 hours, and capable of climbing stairs under supervision immediately, but there are a lot of things that are impossible without help for 4 to 6 weeks (or risky without supervision). We're now down to the main remaining difficulty being tying shoelaces!

...and, she now has little difficulty with stiles, if currently taken slowly. We've even been over the one she fell off a couple of times.
Hahaha

Stiles. My nemesis. Especially stone stiles in all their shapes and forms in drystone wall Y Dales country. Takes me forever to negotiate them, pivoting one way and another trying not to fall off and mitigate the pain.

Wooden A frame ladder stiles are a doddle by comparison.

Spain....no stiles. Marvellous.
New hip secured in place at Wrightington last Saturday.
An early start as I was first on parade...arrived 06:30 without much sleep. I was doing my best @22:00 the night previous to lay loft insulation, ( just) knowing post op it may be awkward crawling into the eaves.

Discharged Monday afternoon. Wished I’d stayed another night as the food was excellent, although the night time disturbance for BP and pain killers was annoying.

I slipped the anaesthetist €10 to give me the max possible knock out juice and I don’t remember being wheeled into theatre. Woke up in recovery with no headache or nausea, wanting tea, toast and marmalade..

Put the crutches into sport mode yesterday and had a single pint in my local early evening after being belly jabbed at my local surgery with Fragimin. Made sure that drink was taken after seeing nursy who may have taken a not very favourable view of my rehydration technique.

Apart from 5 days constipation, so far so good. More beer and a curry was on the cards for tonight, but matters resolved themselves with a little help from S Pod, so the Royal Spice will have to wait for my custom.
Sounds good, hope recuperation goes well.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Dog
That's great news leglad, hope all goes well for ewe.
Good news LL!
That also satisfies my curiosity. I parked briefly at Morrisons in Skipton this Tuesday morning to avail myself of the bogatory.
As I was walking back my car a chap was getting into a black Yaris Grrrrr in the car park. I wasn’t close enough to get a proper look at it or him, but I did wonder….
Obviously it wasn’t you though !
…although, come to think, it might be worth checking in your garage to make sure it’s still there!
;-)
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Boxsterboy
I had my right hip replaced just over 3 years ago, 8 months before Covid. Lucky me!

In my case I had a private consultation, and was given the option of private op in 2 weeks (£17,000), or wait 6 months and the same guy does it on NHS. No health insurance and not in pain, so a no-brainer for me. It has all gone very well for me. Out the same day of the op and back on the bike after 4 weeks at physio's insistence. Soon back up to cycling 100miles/week, although it was surprising how long it took for my withered right thigh muscle to recover!

Technically my new hip is cement-free, relying on bone re-growth to bond to the titanium shaft with ceramic faces to the ball and cup. My surgeon chose to 'go in' in the groin area, with just a 6" long incision, the scar of which is almost completely faded now. Much neater than some of my friends who have massive long scars up the back of their legs.

So far, so all very good.
>>although it was surprising how long it took…

It’s now 7 months since I busted my arm and wrist in 4 places due to an unplanned dismount from my mountain bike.

My wrist still hurts permanently and 3 of the fingers on my left hand don’t really work properly yet. Bone man at the hospital says they might never fully recover.

Hey ho and so on.

Still can’t wear a metal watch on my left wrist. Just hurts too much and contributes to swelling.

But, I’m able to do most things with workarounds.

Been mountain biking today actually. Cold enough but very scenic.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Boxsterboy
I broke my left wrist snowboarding in the early 1990s and had issues afterwards. Restricted movement, etc. Doc's response was: "Well, what do you expect? You broke your wrist?"

DEFINITELY try acupuncture. Worked miracles for me and the wrist has been 100% perfect ever since.
Oh ok, I’ll check that out thanks!
>> …although, come to think, it might be worth checking in your garage to make sure
>> it’s still there!
>> ;-)
>>
I’d better check....staying close to centre of Settle for a few weeks as I can walk into town. Too far from chez LL where the GRY is. Or was.

Coopers, on Belmont Bridge, a 2 minute walk from Morrisons in Skipton, provide excellent food and drink.
My normal mode of transport to Skipton is bus or train...rarely take the car. After a shop in Morrisons/ M & S I often need a pint in The Boathouse by the canal basin to steady my nerves.

Who you selling smart footwear to in Skipton...?
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 2 Dec 22 at 15:43
" I parked briefly at Morrisons in Skipton this Tuesday morning........."

Close call there Runfer :)

Myself and Mrs FC were also in Skipton on Tue. Wasnt it miserable in the fog?

4 days walking holiday staying near Malham. Tue was down day so we had a ride into Skipton. Took in the castle whilst we were there

Monday was a magnificent sunny day for a 10 miler. Tue was a fabulous start but as we drove down into Skipton we hit the fog. Some went to Penyghent and said the weaather had been stunning.

Sorry LL but I'm sure you'll be crunching the miles again soon :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 2 Dec 22 at 15:53
Captain Jellyfish LL. Nice little shop selling alternative gifts, women’s clothes and footwear. Owned by a charming couple. Bottom of the main drag on the right hand side if you’re going uphill.
Yes it was chilly FC. First time I’ve seen minus temperatures on the dash this winter when I was coming over the tops.
Myself and SWMBO drove through Skipton on Tuesday on the way to Grassington in the motorhome. (We eschewed Morrisons, though ;-) )

Cold and misty few days, but Wednesday and Thursday were 12 miles and 11 miles walking respectively (over fairly rough stuff and enjoyable despite the weather).

It's relevant to LL, since SWMBOs replacement hip was at the end of June, and we can both give him a few years, I think.

Don't overdo it, but hopefully you'll soon be back on the hills.
Skipton is the in place it would seem!
Well, on Tuesdays anyway!
;-)
>> Skipton is the in place it would seem!
>> Well, on Tuesdays anyway!
>> ;-)

And Thursdays. First time on public transport tomorrow, so bus to Skipton. Meeting a pal for lunch at Coopers, healthy option rather than the fat free cooked breakfast, then partaking of light refreshment before the bus home.

Pal has been requested to be out the house by midday as his missus is holding an afternoon girlie soirée which, from past experience, will turn very disorderly and get messy. He didn’t need asking twice.
Tuesday was glorious...Giggleswick friends wandered over Warrendale Knots, up Stockdale lane towards Malham, then at the top turned R and went over Rye Loaf. Down a path to the amateur radio ‘The Shack Yorkshire Dales’...Holfuy Weather Station @ 1600’, Malham Rd, Lambert Lane and return through Cleatop Woods which are magical under a covering of snow.

A lovely circuit from my back door.
It was like Dancing on Ice on the limestone pavement above Malham Cove yesterday.

No wind at all. Eerie in the mist. Otter spotted at Janets Foss :)
>>Otter spotted at Janets Foss…

That sounds vaguely like an encoded espionage message FC, bit like “there will be snow in Moscow before nightfall”
;-)
"That sounds vaguely like an encoded espionage message",

There's surely a hidden meaning in the missing apostrophe.
I think you’re on to something there CG. ;-)
. Otter spotted at Janets Foss

Sadly a dead otter found 29/11 on banks of Ribble near Settle. A kind soul has been and collected it, and the E Agency are sending it to Cardiff Univ for a post mortem.
>> Apart from 5 days constipation, so far so good. More beer and a curry was
>> on the cards for tonight, but matters resolved themselves with a little help from S
>> Pod, so the Royal Spice will have to wait for my custom.

Diabetic (sugar free) sweets are excellent for constipation.

I am not going to tell you how I know.
>>
>> Diabetic (sugar free) sweets are excellent for constipation.
>>

...causing it, or relieving it... ?

>> Put the crutches into sport mode yesterday and had a single pint in my local
>> early evening after being belly jabbed at my local surgery with Fragimin. Made sure that
>> drink was taken after seeing nursy who may have taken a not very favourable view
>> of my rehydration technique.

Are you not expected to do your own belly jabbing?

I was after comparable surgery to restore by own bones after a tumble from the eponymous folding bike - 10 years ago.

>> Are you not expected to do your own belly jabbing?

Indeed you are, but I have a serious needle phobia. Just looking at one gives me heart palpitations and try as I may, I just couldn’t do it. I’m a wimp, or big pussy as my USA friends would say.

Local surgery told me it isn’t a problem, and being only a few hundred metres from where I’m staying i pop along every evening. In and out in 10 minutes or less.

Hopefully I’ll soon be skipping from rock to rock along a knife edged arête in the Alps or front pointing up a steep ice slope.....but needles. Noooooooooo
 Hip replacement anyone ? - BiggerBadderDave
'Are you not expected to do your own belly jabbing?'

I had to belly-jab myself with blood thinners for a year after that stroke 11 years ago. It didn't really bother me, I certainly wasn't painful or anything. I couldn't stab myself in a rapid movement, I had to slowly push the needle until the plastic touched the the skin.

A couple of years ago our dog got ill and needed a week of antibiotics. The vet said we had to be there at exactly the same time every day so he could jab the dog and complete the course. It was always packed with a long wait so I said I can inject the dog at home, I've had plenty of practice. He said, mmmm, ok we'll try that. He showed me how to hold the scruff of the neck and where to jab. He gave me 7 prepared needles to keep in the fridge.

I was far more nervous doing it for the dog than I ever was with myself. So at the same time the next day I took the scruff of its neck, in went the needle and I slowly injected the medicine - all over my shirt. I'd pushed it through the other side. Oh well, for everything there's a first time (as Spock said). It all went smoothly after that, fortunately, and I've had to do the same thing this year when it had a tooth infection.
Well done.
I come out in a hot flush and think my hearts going to burst through my chest just thinking about needles.
If push came to shove I’d need hypnotherapy or some form of professional counselling to try and get me over this phobia. It’s not something I’m proud of, and at surgery tonight the nurse thought I was going to keel over.
>> >> Are you not expected to do your own belly jabbing?
>>
>> Indeed you are, but I have a serious needle phobia. Just looking at one gives
>> me heart palpitations and try as I may, I just couldn’t do it. I’m a
>> wimp, or big pussy as my USA friends would say.

I'm the same, I gave blood after having shingles. After the third attempt, they told me not to come back any more - a nurse and doctor in attendance, and having to wipe the sweat off the bed!
I never did get a hot drink or orange juice.

You should see me when I have my annual blood test/dentist appointment/covid/flu/shingles jab!
>> I'm the same, I gave blood after having shingles. After the third attempt, they told
>> me not to come back any more - a nurse and doctor in attendance, and
>> having to wipe the sweat off the bed!
>> I never did get a hot drink or orange juice.

My daughter's NHS career started as a Donor Carer on a peripatetic blood collection team. She's no end of stories about people fainting, letting go their bladder contents etc.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 2 Dec 22 at 22:57

>> My daughter's NHS career started as a Donor Carer on a peripatetic blood collection team.
>> She's no end of stories about people fainting, letting go their bladder contents etc.

I'm safe, Barred from giving blood, and my donor card was torn up. Only Burk or Hare would try and peddle my bits.

>> I was after comparable surgery to restore by own bones after a tumble from the
>> eponymous folding bike - 10 years ago.

Ditton I had to self jab after the hip op for 14 days, and 21 days after the bowel surgery. And wear the b***** surgical stocking things.
>>wear the b***** surgical stocking things.

Suspenders or garter?

I don't think there's enough mind bleach in the world to erase the mental image of Zeddo in suspenders. Perhaps more to BBD's taste?
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Dieselboy
I had a discectomy on Tuesday and have a pair of full length compression stockings to wear. I hate them with a passion. I've already laddered them and pulled the elastic too hard at the top so it's come away a bit. 2 weeks I'm meant to wear them for! I'm fully mobile so pondering on risk vs benefit!
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Ted

2 weeks I'm
>> meant to wear them for! I'm fully mobile so pondering on risk vs benefit!

I had to wear some a couple of years ago...I forget why.
Lasted a day and a night. When I took them off it was like a major snowstorm. Legs were peeling and skin was hanging off my feet in flaps. Took a while and a lot of E45 to recover my natural, shapely beauty. Never put them on again.

Tede
>>
Trust me Do as you're told please.
Well, they now fall down my leg when I'm walking about, so I don't think they're much use in the first place. Horrid things.
...didn't you get the NHS suspenders as well...?
Apparently not!
I don’t have a problem wearing the white surgical stockings. Over the knee.

Combined with lederhosen the pavements suddenly clear :-)
 Hip replacement anyone ? - Kevin
Needles don't bother me. I suppose I got used to them after the routine three monthly blood tests I had to have for radiation exposure. Two samples of blood taken in some sort of capsule where the nurse would stick the needle into a vein and then break a seal and the blood would literally spurt into the glass capsule like a third rate horror movie. I guess it was a tamper-proof vacuum seal for the IAEA.

LL, as you're scared of needles I won't tell you about a guy called Albert Fish who got his kicks by (amongst other things) inserting needles into his nuts.
Going on the charabanc to Skipton yesterday was a mistake. Too much jolting up and down, and the hip complained loudly.
Even 3 pints of Tiller Pin in the Boathouse, overlooking the canal basin and statue of Trueman F ( he retired to the nearby hamlet of Flasby) didn’t help, so train home.

Two weeks now up, still on crutches, but ‘walking’ at an increased pace. Meet the surgeon time early January, and speed (hahaha) awareness course at Gargrave village hall 16th...should be driving by then and can’t wait to get back behind the wheel of Tommi and visit the quieter Dales...Swaledale, Langstrothdale, Kingsdale over into Dentdale.
 Hip replacement anyone ? - DeeW
If you have a swimming pool nearby, surgeon suggested best exercise was walking, not swimming, as it is gentle resistance training for new hip. Have yet to prove it myself, as local council pools all have step ladders in and out and other damaged bits mean I can’t manage them..and refuse to use hoist!
End of week 3 and a massive improvement the past few days. Still using crutches out and about, although I’ll change to trekking poles soon.
I can now walk to the bar without crutches and get back without spilling any beer. That’s progress. Practice makes perfect..
Good to hear that progress is moving along nicely and you are not deprived of your liquid refreshment. You'll be smashing those walks again soon. Seasons greetings.
>> I can now walk to the bar without crutches and get back without spilling any
>> beer. That’s progress. Practice makes perfect..

Try getting half pints, you'll get twice as much practice.
The nearest I get to halves comes in gallon form.
Currently surrounded by hungry walkers scoffing food in The Talbot…my dinner will be poured.
That's good news.
You'll need to build up the muscles, which have been stretched and beaten - your general fitness will help here.
Recommend visiting a physio to check that your gait is correct before any fault becomes permanent.
Anyway - onwards and upwards.

8o)
Hopefully my final report on the matter.

I’m now into week 6 post op....I can finally put a sock on to my foot on the operated side. A convoluted system for tying the lace on that side, but steady progress.
A visit to my surgeon today...studied the X Ray of my new bionic part, which was explained in great detail. The bone which was ground out for the plastic sleeve to be cemented in place, the ceramic ball with steel stem affixed. All jolly interesting in close up.

I commented on the lack of recommended physio exercises, and knowing I’m a hard core walker and backpacker, he told me they were pretty much irrelevant in my case as I’m out there putting in the miles. No more back and knee pain...two days ago, under blue skies, I covered 12 miles at my own pace. Averaged 3mph walking pace, admittedly only 1300’ of ascent, with lots of stops to admire the extensive long distance views around the 3 peaks area.

Using two trekking poles, as per normal, and although tired at walks end, absolutely no stiffness in my joints the following morning. Off to Spain in 36 hours to walk in the mountains of the Marina Alta. Probably only 10 miles daily, but more ascent at a sensible pace, and wearing shorts and t shirt.
A review in 12 months, but my mojo is back, and longer multi day walks should be possible within 3 months, given my progress to date.
Feeling very fortunate and grateful...worth every penny. And the rest.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 4 Jan 23 at 22:46
I wish you well.

In the days when I was doing reasonably serious distance road running, we used to reckon that it took three times as long to get back to fitnes as the time you had off.

i.e. a month off with some problem meant another 3 months to get back to fitness.
5 months after the hip hop (26/11/22) I’m back to leading group walks...not quite up to my previous LDWA 25/mile social walks in the UK but not far off.
In Spain, with warmer temps, earlier finishes, the distances are shorter, probably 20kms max with the time constraints...folks like to sit and chat in a bar by mid afternoon after 5 hours in the mountains.
It’s taking longer than anticipated to regain my walking speed and endurance stamina, but doing way better than a younger relative, who is now 10 weeks post op, same hip op as me, but only covering a fraction of my miles and still experiencing muscle pain. Despite lots of physio, of which I had none whatsoever.

The secret, as told me by the surgeon, is to get as fit as possible pre op. I almost gave up beer for 6 weeks, but really pushed my walking distances with lots of pain killers. I suppose that’s true for any surgery.

My beer consumption isn’t back to normal...nor do I expect it to ever get there. 3 consecutive dry days a week, and rarely more than 3 pints early doors. Saves a few quid. Enough for a few more RYR flights.
Latest Forum Posts