Motoring Discussion > Displaying number plates Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 19

Displaying number plates - legacylad
I’m taking a reg number off retention ( I got it FOC from a friends car when she wrote it off) and thought I’d look into rules and regs post January 2021.

For driving overseas, if the plate has a UK identifier with the Union (Jack) you do not need a UK sticker.

If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

Info taken from Gov. website....thought it may be of interest for those who take their cars overseas.
 Displaying number plates - smokie
... and if you are thinking of spending a few quid on a sticker, a whole new UK number plate incl delivery is only £13.99 here (or you could "upgrade" to a a gel or 3D plate). There's probably cheaper but these people did well for me recently.

proplates.co.uk/products/custom-number-plates
 Displaying number plates - Runfer D'Hills
Don’t get the 3d plates ( well, not unless you want to look like you’d really like a bendy aerial as well) ;-)
Certainly not. I’d rather wear Crocs and have dangly furry dice. Awful plates.

Supplying dealer is fitting new plates once they’ve received my Retention Cert details...hopefully do a better job than the existing plates which have screw covers in the wrong colours...yellow on black lettering and vice versa.

It’s all about the detail....
 Displaying number plates - tyrednemotional
>> ...hopefully do a better job than the existing plates which have screw covers in the wrong colours...yellow on
>> black lettering and vice versa.
>>

...yeah, it's often like that on those cloned plates.....
 Displaying number plates - Clk Sec
>>hopefully do a
>> better job than the existing plates which have screw covers in the wrong colours...yellow on
>> black lettering and vice versa.
>>
>> It’s all about the detail....

But do spare a thought for Runfer, who only has rusty self- tappers.
 Displaying number plates - Zero
3D are, or shortly will be, Illegal.

Not that it makes any difference, given the number of illegally spaced plates* that still seem to proliferate.

*mostly because they are wannabes and cant afford the proper reg that provides what they are after.
 Displaying number plates - Bobby
I am seeing more and more of the plates with heavy dark tints on them. Assuming they evade cameras but would be far more obvious to the normal plod car!

If I was going abroad I would take my chance on a SCO or Ecosse sticker….
Aren’t “private” plates just a wee bit naff now? Might have been seen as desirable at one time, but now that every Tom, Dick and Harry, (or more likely Brandon, Wayne and Tyrone) has them, well, y’know…

I used to have one by the way. Sold it about 12 years ago. Don’t miss it.
>> Aren’t “private” plates just a wee bit naff now?

Depends, a discrete plain legal private plate - ie one that doesn't say TO33ER with logos of dragons on and red borders - looks classy and makes your near 5 year old car timeless (till the next model change)

Agreed it will look silly on a cheap fiat jeep.
 Displaying number plates - tyrednemotional
>>
>> I used to have one by the way.
>>

130LOX ?
>> >>
>> >> I used to have one by the way.
>> >>
>>
>> 130LOX ?

CR0 CKS?
 Displaying number plates - Bromptonaut
>> 3D are, or shortly will be, Illegal.

Depends on definition of 3D.

The type of font that gave a 3D effect on an otherwise flat plate has been illegal since September 2021 (but permissible if fitted before that date)

Raised characters are OK.
 Displaying number plates - smokie
www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates
My wife bought it for me so I had to put it on for a fewer years. She’s a Cheshire lass you see, and she didn’t know any better…;-)

Anyway, it was M16 SHU which she thought was “Footwear Agent”

Yes, I do know, but it was a long time ago and I am completely rehabilitated now.
 Displaying number plates - Rudedog
The one and only mod to my GTi was set of UK font German pressed aluminum plates with the nice blue EU badge on.

Drives me crazy to see cars with their old GB or new UK stickers applied all skew-whiff on the back.... when I get mine they will be applied inside the window using a spirit-level!
>> ... and if you are thinking of spending a few quid on a sticker, a
>> whole new UK number plate incl delivery is only £13.99 here (or you could "upgrade"
>> to a a gel or 3D plate). There's probably cheaper but these people did well
>> for me recently.
>>
>> proplates.co.uk/products/custom-number-plates
>>
Thanks smokie....new plates, with Union ( flag) and UK moniker now ordered from that link. £25.99 pair.
Appreciated.
 Displaying number plates - Rudedog
After reading this I've watched numerous well known YT'ers posting videos of themselves driving either new or classic cars down to the south of France with either standard plates and no UK sticker or some fancy UK sign on a 'union' flag background.... seems none of them really care about what is displayed.
Bet they’re not driving back from the local tapas bar at 02:00 and being stopped at a Guardia Civil roadblock looking for crims.
And if they don’t get any they’ll give your wheels a thorough going over looking for any minor motoring discrepancy
Exactly why I don’t drink n drive.
They don’t show that on the goggle box....I’ve been stopped numerous times in the early hours, purely random and that’s why I play by the rules..
 Displaying number plates - Manatee
The MX-5 is going to Austria soon. I've ordered an ugly great white oval sticker with 'UK' (not GB) on it. (I've never had the country thing on any of our number plates).
Latest Forum Posts