Motoring Discussion > Selling online Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 53

Selling online - legacylad
Any recommendations....if tomorrow’s test drive proves positive then I’ll ask for a p/ex price from the supplying dealer.

I’ll be pre armed with prices from WBAC, Cinch and Motorway. Friends will be notified via social media and I may decide to try AT for a private sale but not sure if I cba with the hassle of test drives ( let me see your fully comp insurance please) etc

Am I missing anything obvious ?

TIA
 Selling online - Zero
Car Wow have a sell your car side now.
Thank you
I’m awaiting their call so I can give them a very long list of optional extras which were fitted to the ex Ford Management car. Appreciate that I’ll only get a fraction of their initial cost.

Best Car Buyer have offered me the best price to date...
 Selling online - Bobby
That’s a good point.
I assumed these places got all that info when they plugged your reg into their systems. Will all be on the factory build codes.
My BMW has a similar long list of options that are on car over basic model.

Can’t believe these places then need to get a separate list from the seller of what’s on the car?
 Selling online - Zero
>> That’s a good point.
>> I assumed these places got all that info when they plugged your reg into their
>> systems. Will all be on the factory build codes.

only if they have a link to BMW, which they have to pay a monthly fee for
 Selling online - Bobby
Surely WBAC etc would have that?
If not how do they know spec of car when you put your reg in?
 Selling online - bathtub tom
>> Surely WBAC etc would have that?
>> If not how do they know spec of car when you put your reg in?

You think they'd be professional?
 Selling online - zippy
>> Surely WBAC etc would have that?
>> If not how do they know spec of car when you put your reg in?
>>

From my experience WBAC and others don't list my current Tucson correctly and I have had the same problem when initially insuring it, with both the Tucson and other end of line or special edition models - the database used for these things doesn't seem to like them.

For example my car is listed as manual on the WBAC database when it's a automatic (DCT). On the insurance database, the comparison sites refused to believe that it was an old model registered in 2021 - they should have been the new model.
 Selling online - Runfer D'Hills
A GR Yaris eh? Excellent!
Even a very ordinary but well sorted small car would be great fun on the sorts of roads available on your doorstep LL, so one of those would be off the scale you’d think.
And, there’s a delightful irony in the “older gentleman of leisure/small Japanese hatchback” cliché with a huge and class A emulating twist!
I hope it’s every bit as good as is reported in the motoring press. Well, of course it will be.
I’m not normally inclined to envy, but if you buy that thing, I may make an exception.
Enjoy your test drive, and please let us know the outcome as soon as convenient. I’m sure I’m not alone in taking vicarious pleasure in it all!
Thank you
It’s not my colour of choice, it ain’t cheap, ain’t as practical as the Focus Active X estate, and when buying something 15 months old you’d have expected it to have normally depreciated by 30%. Which it most certainly hasn’t.

Insurance premium is remarkably good....a combination of age (sadly), postcode, low annual miles and social use only. I’m currently thinking ‘why would I ‘, but that may all change after an extended drive which has been agreed upon in advance.
I’m sure you’re going to have fun today anyway. Just mind your licence! ;-)
Re the “why would I” thing, here’s a thought, if you love it, and just have to do it, why not, if it can be done without too much financial inconvenience, just keep the Focus as well for now?
That way, if the Yaris proves to be more of a fling than a marriage, you’d be unlucky to lose much if anything on it if you moved it on again. And, you’d have the Focus for days when practically was more of a priority.
A case of having an automotive mistress maybe!
Runfer...good idea.
I’ll check out the additional insurance costs of running two vehicles in the short term. And the more important matter of a potential purchase without having to release the equity in Henry.
Thing is, that way, after, say 3 months of running both, you’d know what/which works best for you. Enjoy today anyway. ;-)
Against my better judgement, a 45 minute test drive had been arranged for this morning. An inauspicious start as I’d forgotten my driving licence, still in my ‘travel wallet’, so I had to turn round after 5 miles and return home to collect it.

Obviously no pano roof or spare wheel, always deal breakers for me, and to be honest the interior trim, lifted directly from the current Yaris, a supposed improvement on the previous gen, was a disappointment. Lots of cheap grey plastic, and a surfeit of crinkly black plastic. The infotainment was far inferior to the Sync 3 system on Henry Focus, but there was a complete absence of creaks and rattles within the cabin. Just like the Focus.

A mix of fast A & B roads, plus some narrow potholed single track lanes I know in the area. The suspension, a different and softer set up to that in the ‘Circuit Pack’ equipped car, coped admirably. Power delivery, grip , steering and general handling was much as expected after watching lots of YouTube road tests. Very limited rear room, sufficient for a pair of muppets, not much luggage space, but that’s the trade off for the AWD system.

Much as in life, it’s a compromise over ones needs and wants. The latter won and Tommi Toyota will be in my garage next week.

Prior to that I need to get my grin surgically removed or my neighbours will start avoiding me.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 9 Jul 22 at 17:56
 Selling online - Fullchat
Just to clarify LL.

This is the weapon you have treated yourself to? :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1QcXRrHiEA

Yes!!! :)
Sorry to disappoint but no. That’s equipped with the ‘circuit pack’…lighter alloys, super Michelin Pilot Sport sticky tyres, front & rear Torsen diffs and uprated suspension.
Mine has the OAP ‘Convenience Pack’ …heated steering wheel, head up display, rear view camera, JBL stereo.
And it’s black
Still shuffles along ok
 Selling online - Kevin
>Mine has the OAP ‘Convenience Pack’...

Does it have a 'Convenience' button on the satnav?
>> >Mine has the OAP ‘Convenience Pack’...
>>
>> Does it have a 'Convenience' button on the satnav?
>>
No but it has extra absorbent & washable removal seat covers.

The passenger may on occasion be glad of such. As may the driver.
 Selling online - tyrednemotional
...you didn't say you were getting the "Tena Edition"....
Had to google that....you’re taking the p**s now.
That is going to be fun LL. Enjoy!
Have you decided what to do with the Focus?
It will go to the highest bid from an online buyer.

Henry is sulking in the garage, knowing his days are numbered. Poor Henry.

Goodbye practicality. Hello fun.
 Selling online - Zero
Blimey, what a car buying history you have.

Barbie Mobile, Pensioners Hospital car, Boy racer pocket rocket.
I am though, just on the healthy side of jealousy with this latest one I’ll freely admit. Can’t imagine it’ll be anything other than hilarious to drive. Just be a little bit careful! We don’t want to hear of any ditch excursions or licence woe!
 Selling online - tyrednemotional
>>We don’t want to hear of any ditch excursions or licence woe!
>>

..Oh, I don't know, though.... ;-)
Not my first choice colour, but in the metal I think black suits the GR. A beggar to keep clean, and the large front grille is far less pronounced.

Must say that the supplier, JCT600 at Rawdon ( near Leeds) were exceptionally friendly and efficient. And probably enjoyed their 45 minute test drive almost as much as I.
Think it’s the cheapest ‘Convenience Pack’ equipped model on AT, and I don’t expect to lose much in depreciation unless Toyota decide to build a whole load more to satisfy world wide demand.

Having spoken to several dealers nationwide, there is no waiting list. It’s closed. There isn’t even a waiting list for the waiting list should it ever reopen.
 Selling online - Zero
>> Not my first choice colour,

Just walked past the one the guy down the road has. Showing how good my perceptive memory is, he has a white one (not metalic grey - must have been his previous car).

Now armed with a look at the Toyota site, I can say its the pearlescent white, with circuit pack.
 Selling online - Dog
Overtaken by a Puma ST in 'Mean Green' this morning on the A30. Thought it looked quite nice.
 Selling online - Bobby
Great car.
From all the reviews though I’m not sure I’d want to be a second owner…….
The GR is an ex demo...does that make it worse ?

Collect it in 7 days.....I’m in no rush, so will concentrate on getting the best price next week from the plethora of online buyers. I’m the meantime I’ve just listed it on AT....highly unlikely I’ll get a response as a private seller even though it’s under manuf warranty until March 2023. Worth spending just under £40 though

I’ve networked with my friends to give them first refusal but no takers, and tomorrow I’ll contact the supplying main dealer to get a ballpark figure from them.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 17 Jul 22 at 21:41
 Selling online - zippy
Have a look at motorway.co.uk

I have only used them to get a price but not to actually sell, but their valuations were strong. For example my Tucson on WBAC was £22500 approx. and £25,000 approx on motorway.
Thanks zippy.
Already done that....been distracted lately and forgotten what they offered off the top of my head, but it was £500 over the WBAC price. Subject to viewing.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 17 Jul 22 at 22:10
Once I started a search for online buyers, the cookie trail led to several pop ups. I got around 10 quotes...cheapest was £17.5k from Toot Toot ( collected), best was from Arnold Clark. I had to drive Henry an hour up the road for appraisal, having ascertained beforehand that on arrival they wouldn’t make me a stupid offer way below the online valuation.

Other quotes from Evans Halshaw, Ford of Winsford and the supplying dealer at Coalville.

True to their word AC paid me the full valuation...£19,590, which was £10 less than I’d paid for the car for in April 2021.

No responses whatsoever from my ad on AT...it runs a few more days but too late now.

I didn’t even give Henry a backward glance as I left the premises to walk to Kendal bus station.
Poor Henry. Hope he finds a far more appreciative home.
You’d have to say though that £10 isn’t too bad for the use of a car for 15 months, even if you weren’t all that keen on it!

When do you get the pocket rocket?
Tomorrow. My birthday....purely by chance.
Better present to yourself than new socks I guess. Although, I’d have to admit to having a thing about new socks. They always improve even the dullest of days.

Depends where you wear them
Maybe you should get some new socks too. That would make tomorrow extra special.
Indeed so.
Just shelled out £59 on additional insurance premium with 9 months remaining on the policy.
Comp excess increased to £300 but no voluntary excess....I’d better start saving up for that Portsmouth - Bilbao ferry.
Or, go the long way round via Calais, divert to/through the Alps, into the Italian lakes, come back along the Riviera (diving up into the Verdun gorges and back of course) and then turn left at and into the Pyrenees…
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 21 Jul 22 at 15:02
Friends in Spain often use the Dieppe - Newhaven crossing.

My French friends relocated last summer from Nantes to St Pierre de Rivière, close to the foothills of the Pyrenees. Invited me to visit them earlier this week...go limping in the mountains, and drink horrible beer amongst other activities.
Sounds preordained to me.
Tour de France passed through their village on 19/07...the Carcassonne > Foix stage.
If you set off on Monday, you could easily be there on Tuesday…
;-)

New car, new socks and a UK sticker, sorted…
 Selling online - Dog
10 denier stockings would be extra, extra special.
 Selling online - helicopter
Newhaven -Dieppe crossing is ideal for me and my new lady friend who lives in Eastbourne.

Funnily enough at the moment writing this in Dieppe hotel ready to return on the ferry tomorrow watching Tour de France on the television.

Had a week in the Champagne rrgion and then a week in Honfleur.

Just topped up with 17 litres diesel at €1.873 which at an exchange rate of €1.14 to £ means £1.65 per litre , so could save nearly £18 on a full tank. Generally prices over here are around €1.93 litre.
Out of curiosity I looked at the Arnold Clark Vauxhall Kendal dealership website to see if Henry had found a new home. He’s been reserved....listed at £2,400 more than I received which is fine. I don’t begrudge anyone making a reasonable profit.

Sold within the week. That’s good innit ?
It is.
Now then, this Yaris? So far so brilliant I hope?
Christmas has arrived early this year....
When you’re ready/have time, I’m sure some of us would be very interested to hear all about it.
Well, I would! ;-)
Will do.

Despite what all the motoring journalists advise, I really don’t think the Circuit Pack is necessary for daily driving. In my circumstances I prefer the Convenience Pack with Head Up Display and JBL Sound system.... Aerosmith and AC/DC played at a moderate level seem to suit the car.
Have (careful) fun!
Latest Forum Posts