Non-motoring > Dynamic hip screw Miscellaneous
Thread Author: John Boy Replies: 12

Dynamic hip screw - Bromptonaut
Almost exactly ten years ago today I came off the Brompton on the car park at Northampton Station and broke the neck of my left femur (and my collar bone).

Had the hip screwed next day with what I think was called a cannulated screw or screws. The cannulated bit apparently meant they had some means to improve blood flow reducing the risk if the bone dying. Out of bed within 24 hours and quick physio exercises to show me how to use elbow crutches. That was followed by lessons in managing stairs with crutches.

Discharged home roughly a week post accident with instructions to stay on crutches for six weeks. To be honest the collar bone, left to its own devices, was far more painful than the leg. Took me quite a while to get past the hobbling stage; was using a trekking pole as a stick for a while.

Doctor advised against getting back on the bike until maybe three months post accident. Actually found that using a 'Boris Bike' in London was far more comfortable than bus or tube. Back on the Brompton by late August.

No long lasting after effects. The right hip gyps sometimes but not the left. It's certainly not stopped me doing anything.

Family say I have an odd gait but I think I developed that after damaging my knees cycling too highly geared in the early eighties.
 Messages Author Date
 Dynamic hip screw new John Boy 3 Jul 22 16:38
 Dynamic hip screw new Zero 3 Jul 22 17:09
 Dynamic hip screw new Bromptonaut 3 Jul 22 17:27
 Dynamic hip screw new John Boy 3 Jul 22 18:14
 Dynamic hip screw new Bromptonaut 3 Jul 22 19:29
 Dynamic hip screw new Zero 3 Jul 22 19:42
 Dynamic hip screw new Robin O'Reliant 3 Jul 22 19:38
 Dynamic hip screw new Bromptonaut 3 Jul 22 21:24
 Dynamic hip screw new Robin O'Reliant 3 Jul 22 21:44
 Dynamic hip screw new Bobby 3 Jul 22 22:42
 Dynamic hip screw new MD 3 Jul 22 22:51