Motoring Discussion > MG5 review Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 12

MG5 review - smokie
There is a facelift version of the MG5 coming out later this year or early next. Formally announced at the Goodwood FoS

www.electrifying.com/reviews/mg/5-ev/review

I was thinking (and still am) that I might see what the cost to change is likely to be for mine. I got a healthy discount on the Affinity programme, which brought it in at about £25k ISTR. 2nd hand values are strong at present and I expect will remain so for the foreseeable, esp for EVs.

Mine looks a bit clunky in comparison but tbh it doesn't bother me too much so if it's going to be much I won't bother. Some happy campers might find the 220v socket useful...

Anyway, feel free to say how it's not for you, it's bad for the environment etc etc :-)
 MG5 review - Zero

>> Some happy campers might find
>> the 220v socket useful...

Unlikely when they find out they cant leave the camp site due to depleted motive power.

MG5 review - Lygonos
>> Unlikely when they find out they cant leave the camp site due to depleted motive power.

Apart from being able to set a limit to how low it lets the traction battery go, of course.
 MG5 review - Terry
At the moment this seems most unlikely.

Many caravan club sites make no charge for an electrical hook up. Roll up with caravan behind, plug in the car (it's just a cable), good nights sleep in the country side, get up next morning with a fully charged motor.

EV drivers may even now be taking to caravans to get free charging. I don't expect this to last!!!
 MG5 review - tyrednemotional
The Caravan and Motorhome Club (née The Caravan Club) charge £9 per charge for the privilege.
 MG5 review - Zero

>> Many caravan club sites make no charge for an electrical hook up. Roll up with
>> caravan behind, plug in the car (it's just a cable), good nights sleep in the
>> country side, get up next morning with a fully charged motor.

You'll not be charging much up overnight at a 10 amp max post.

Thats if you get there, with a 150 mile range max towing a shed, nowhere to charge it en route (the charging spaces dont take a car & van outfit) and a poor towing load, I can assure you tuggers are not taking to EVs at all.
 MG5 review - Terry
Overnight charge (say 10 hours) will deliver 25KWh. At ~30p domestic rate would cost £7.50. Even if the charge is £9 it is still a fair deal. Stay longer leave with 50KWh +.

Motorway services - park van, drive a few hundred yards to charging point, fill up, collect van go. Apparently standard practice for EV owners towing sheds. Simple.

The real benefit is that unlike a solitary EV, if charger is broken or in use you can stay the night - probably not the preferred solution but better than sleeping in the car until repair man cometh.

BTW - I am neither an EV or caravan owner. I may buy the former at some point, but the latter seems unlikely having tried it many years ago.
 MG5 review - smokie
The MG5 takes about 60 kWh, and the manual quotes 29h 7m to charge fully from 10A.

If charging on a 3 pin plug you need to be confident that your outlet and circuit will take sustained high throughput without the circuit catching fire somewhere along the line. I'm not sure I'd trust a campsite 13A socket - even home wiring sometimes proves inadequate.

I'm not sure there is a standard practice for EV owners towing sheds as it's only relatively recently that EVs actually capable of towing anything sensible have really started to take off, though your scenario seems a good idea. However I can't disagree with Z that the impact on range would be likely to put many off in the first place.
 MG5 review - Zero
>> The MG5 takes about 60 kWh, and the manual quotes 29h 7m to charge fully
>> from 10A.
>>

And of course assumes you are not using any of your 10amp post to do stuff for which it was designed in your caravan.
 MG5 review - Zero

>> Motorway services - park van, drive a few hundred yards to charging point, fill up,
>> collect van go. Apparently standard practice for EV owners towing sheds. Simple.

Not standard practice for EV shed tuggers. 1/ Its a car park offence to leave your van unhitched, 2/ they get nicked while you are off charging.

Please do not make stuff up.
 MG5 review - Zero
>> There is a facelift version of the MG5 coming out later this year

Its quite funny really, its a design cut and paste. The front end has been stolen from Hyundai, the rear three quarters from Seat, I think they raided 1970s ford for the doors, the rear looks familiar too

Has to be said however, its better looking than the previous gen, and reports say the interior has had the hard plastics ditched for better stuff.

Poor range for a family estate tho.
 MG5 review - zippy
I think that I prefer the current look.

Back up power can be found from one of these: www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/356457/zipcharge-reveals-portable-electric-car-charging-station

:-)
 MG5 review - Zero
>> >> There is a facelift version of the MG5 coming out later this year
>>

>>the rear looks familiar too

Just seen it, new Vauxhall corsa
Latest Forum Posts