Motoring Discussion > Sat Nav from 2013 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 12

Sat Nav from 2013 - Bobby
Random question from a discussion earlier tonight.
I toured USA in 2013 and I had sat nav on my android phone that I could use offline but basically took up the full memory of the micro sd card in my phone.
Wasn’t TomTom Garmin or any of the known names of today.

Can anyone think back as to what they may have had in those days?
Think you had to pay for it but once you had downloaded it there was nothing to stop you copying it for other people.

My mind has hit an annoying blank !
 Sat Nav from 2013 - smokie
I had to think whether phones even had SD slots in 2013, I don'[t think they were anywhere near as common as they are now.

I have a feeling I had a satnav app back then but I can't recall the details.
 Sat Nav from 2013 - Zero
>> I had to think whether phones even had SD slots in 2013,

Yup they did. My Cheap Motorola had one.

2013 is not BC, Compared to the previous 10 years, mobile technology has advanced at a snails pace since then.
 Sat Nav from 2013 - tyrednemotional
Nokia maps was around at/before that time, but I think probably only on Symbian phones. It did hit Android as "Here" something or other later, but I'm not sure when.
 Sat Nav from 2013 - Zero
In 2013 I was using Google maps on an Android phone. I also used it to pre plan my 2010 US road trip, but transposed it to a TomTom due to useless US phone coverage and expensive data plans.

My first sat nav was TomTom loaded onto an HP PDA, with a remote bluetooth GPS and magnetic GPS antenna - Around 2002 I think.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 25 Jun 22 at 08:45
 Sat Nav from 2013 - Duncan
>> I also used it to pre plan my 2010 US road trip,

Just 'plan' is sufficient.

'Pre plan' is tautology. How else would you formulate a plan, other than before hand?
 Sat Nav from 2013 - Zero
Pre-plan - Verb To plan in advance

preplan: verb

pre·​plan | ˌprē-ˈplan
variants: or pre-plan
preplanned or pre-planned; preplanning or pre-planning
Definition of preplan
transitive + intransitive
: to plan in advance
preplanned his own funeral
preplanning for emergencies
Other Words from preplan
preplanned or pre-planned adjective
a program of preplanned activities
a pre-planned industrial community
First Known Use of preplan
1847, in the meaning defined above

Its little wonder we sacked you. Clearly we found out you are ultracrepidarian.

Last edited by: Zero on Sat 25 Jun 22 at 09:40
 Sat Nav from 2013 - Duncan
Quora

Is there a word called a “preplan”? If so, what's the difference between a plan and a preplan?

Joe Devney
Professional writer and editor, Master's in Linguistics.
Yes, there is such a word. It is made up of English morphemes put together according to the rules of English morphology. It would mean to plan something before executing it. And I have heard it used in business by native English speakers.

But I think it is a word that is not really needed, since planning can only be done beforehand. The “pre” meaning is implicit in the meaning of the word plan.

So you may hear it, and now you know what it means. But I doubt that it will ever become a very popular word, unless we lose plan. It is rare that a language has two words that mean exactly the same thing.

There you go.
Planning can only be done beforehand. Therefore the "pre" bit is superflous.

Next you will be telling us you have "pre-ordered" a car or summat. Sometimes I am close to despair.

Sat Nav from 2013 - Zero

>> Next you will be telling us you have "pre-ordered" a car or summat. Sometimes I
>> am close to despair.
pre order A pre-order is an order placed for an item that has not yet been released
 Sat Nav from 2013 - Zero
You get your education from Quora?

Despair is the least of your problems.
 Sat Nav from 2013 - tyrednemotional
>>
>> 'Pre plan' is tautology.

//Pendant mode on//

..by the strict definition of tautology, I don't think it is..

Redundancy maybe (though I can think of a number of circumstances where "pre-planning" might add some value)

You couldn't, in the example, simply use the prefix "pre" without the word "plan", and derive the same meaning from it.

\Pendant mode off\
 Sat Nav from 2013 - Terry
There is a clear need for "pre-plan".

This is a response to an as yet uncertain low probability future event which MAY happen. Could also be called a contingency plan.

A plan is a considered response to a specific identified issue which is known or have very good grounds for believing xxx WILL happen.
 Sat Nav from 2013 - BiggerBadderDave
Pre-planning means getting out of bed and sitting at your desk.
Latest Forum Posts