Motoring Discussion > Tesla - Tesla Y
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 9

Tesla - Tesla Y - henry k
For a few days my son has parked a new Tesla Y in my drive.
I am not insured to drive it so I can just ogle.
It is a white low powered version on standard wheels shod with Hankooks.
I was taken for a quick local tour yesterday. My first trip in an EV ( except an Uber) and demo of the grunt.
Impressed with the package. I am left with the spare card so I can show it off ( static)
 Tesla - Tesla Y - VxFan
>> I am not insured to drive it so I can just ogle.

Does your car insurance not cover you to drive other vehicles, third party cover only usually?
 Tesla - Tesla Y - Bobby
Would you want to drive a £50k or whatever car third party only?
Especially an electric Tesla filled with gadgets and gizmos
 Tesla - Tesla Y - VxFan
>> Would you want to drive a £50k or whatever car third party only?

Depends where you drive it.

Somewhere like Central London, or Birmingham - no.

Quiet country road - yes.
 Tesla - Tesla Y - Boxsterboy
>> Does your car insurance not cover you to drive other vehicles, third party cover only
>> usually?
>>

Most policies tend to exclude this cover nowadays. Often people think they still have it, and get caught out.
 Tesla - Tesla Y - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> >>
>>
>> Most policies tend to exclude this cover nowadays. Often people think they still have it,
>> and get caught out.
>>

Still included with my Tesco policy.
 Tesla - Tesla Y - VxFan
>> Still included with my Tesco policy.

And my Direct Line policy.
 Tesla - Tesla Y - tyrednemotional
...AFAIR, there was a widespread removal of this facility from many/most policies (even existing ones at renewal)a good few years ago, driven by some interpretation of official guidance. It disappeared, with warning, from either mine or SWMBO's (or even both).

It wasn't long before it was commonly re-introduced, but only for policy-holders over a given age (or experience?).

In 2016/7 for instance, it was on my policy, but not my son's; both from the same insurer.

The facility is on all three current insurance policies here.
 Tesla - Tesla Y - henry k
I like these reviews from AUS. Lots of good comparisons with model 3 and also with other rival brands.

www.carexpert.com.au/car-reviews/2023-tesla-model-y-review
thedriven.io/2022/06/24/space-and-performance-or-v2l-and-price-we-compare-tesla-model-y-and-byd-atto-3/

Re the poor ride comfort. I have little experience of other cars but my short trip certainly showed up that it was not happy on our roads. Seems that a bit more development is needed.

from the comments
"Norwegian reviewers who have driven both Berlin and Chinese made cars are saying Berlin has solved the harshness issues. I imagine those fixes will make their way to Asia. Question is, will it be in time for your car."

I locked the car with the "card ". Door mirrors folded and doors were definitely locked but screen stayed on. My son accessed it via his phone and he was able to fully shut it down.
Not a good impression.
 Tesla - Tesla Y - VxFan
>> I locked the car with the "card ". Door mirrors folded and doors were definitely
>> locked but screen stayed on.

Maybe the screen stays on for a period of time, then shuts down. Say for instance you stop at a newsagents, or a superloo, it saves having to wait for the infotainment system to boot up again.

I can remember one of my previous Vauxhalls would switch on the infotainment system upon unlocking the door, so that the sat nav was primed and ready to be operated from the moment you got in the car.
Latest Forum Posts