Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen - MOT Advisories. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Oldgit Replies: 11

Volkswagen - MOT Advisories. - Oldgit
Yesterday I had an MOT test on my 2016 Golf MK7 1.4Tsi BMT and it passed but with Advisories concerning all four Michelin tyres. It is under the category "Monitor and repair if necessary" where all tyres are showing signs of 'slight damage/cracking /perishing'.
All this at 16k of old fogie driving I suppose.
Do I rush out and buy four new tyres with 5mm tread lector call their bluff for another few months? I had done just under 3,000 miles since last MOT.
I an afford it but it's an aggravation.
 Volkswagen - MOT Advisories. - Zero
Tyres should be changed at the 5-6 years old mark anyway. I'd get them done before winter sets in.
 Volkswagen - MOT Advisories. - zippy
I agree. Mrs Z had a similar advisory on her rears and one sidewall perished a few months later, luckily only a few hundred meters from home.

ATS fitter who attended (via Black Circles) suggested when new tyres are required for the front, rotate them with the back tyres to even the wear because there was a few MM of tread that went to landfill.
 Volkswagen - MOT Advisories. - Clk Sec
I had the same advisory on my shopping trolley two MOTs ago. Four new Bridgestones were fitted the next day.
 Volkswagen - MOT Advisories. - Clk Sec
>> Tyres should be changed at the 5-6 years old Mark

And batteries every 5 years, too. 6 is pushing it a bit.
 Volkswagen - MOT Advisories. - Bill Payer
>> >> Tyres should be changed at the 5-6 years old Mark
>>
>> And batteries every 5 years, too. 6 is pushing it a bit.
>>

It's beginning to sound like a lot of faff - be easier just to buy a whole new car.
Believe me iv considered that but so many now ruled out because of dearth of knobs to control the essentials.
 Volkswagen - MOT Advisories. - Terry
Get the tyres changed. ~£400 and a couple of hours.

Cheaper than a new car. Tyres are safety critical. They will last another 5 or 6 years. Simply not worth wasting time and energy thinking about it.
Well today I ordered four new Michelin Primacy 4+ tyres and they're being fitted next Monday.
And now that old battery; I think I'll add that to my next service (major one) in August. Last year I'm sure my VW dealer quoted some absurd price for supplying and fitting these 'special' batteries for Start/Stop cars.
 Volkswagen - MOT Advisories. - Crankcase
>> Well today I ordered four new Michelin Primacy 4+ tyres and they're being fitted next
>> Monday.

Long shot this, perhaps: if you ordered from ATS, and you bank online, you might find that there are is an ATS offer that gives you 5 or more percent off, just by using that bank card to pay.

I have the ATS offer come up over and over again with both Lloyds (called "everyday offers") and Santander (called "retailer offers").

You just go online, web or app, and enable the offer. Last time I bought Michelins I got four, which were about £480, and then got about 7.5% off using my Lloyds card. Not huge but better than nothing. The cash just appears in your bank some time later.
 Volkswagen - MOT Advisories. - Kevin
..6 is pushing it a bit.

:-)

I'm doubtful that a vehicle with EFi will push start if the battery is down on voltage. Has anyone tried it?
 Volkswagen - MOT Advisories. - Dave_
>> I'm doubtful that a vehicle with EFi will push start if the battery is down on voltage. Has anyone tried it?

I thought bump starts were a no-no on all catalysed cars?
Latest Forum Posts