Non-motoring > Heatwave, what heatwave ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 64

Heatwave, what heatwave ? - legacylad
Bitterly disappointed. Sun lounger cleaned of bird poo, Bluetooth speaker charged, book selected.
A few patches of blue sky this AM, drizzle arrived on cue at 15:00, low cloud, muggy, max high around 20C in the sun. Ongoing drizzle this evening.
It’s grim oop north.

My crystal ball shows a visit to the Jet2 website this weekend for a last minute getaway before skools out.
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 17 Jun 22 at 21:05
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Duncan
33 to 35 degrees down here in leafy Surrey. Too hot to be out in the sun. Much cooler sitting in a hospital waiting room.
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Zero
Thank the lord you were not in the same one I was. The SeHcat scanner room at St Lukes was FREEZING
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 17 Jun 22 at 22:21
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Fullchat
Up to 31 in t'East Riding. Little bit overcast this morning but cleared before lunch and an extremely warm and sunny afternoon. Even headed to the beach for an evening stroll with the dog followed by a fish and chip supper.
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Duncan
>>The SeHcat scanner room at St Lukes was FREEZING
>>

Is that one of those 2 appointment jobs?
Yup - Nuclear bullet
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 18 Jun 22 at 07:46
Z. Hope you get good results from your doc next week
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Clk Sec
>> Z. Hope you get good results from your doc next week

+1

>> >> Z. Hope you get good results from your doc next week
>>
>> +1

Its all currently going to plan, I am likely to still be alive in *4 years time, and probably with all my organs in situ. This is just all continual deep surveillance stuff, and I dont mean zippy type.

*They talk, when you are "staged", in % chances of survival over a 5 year period. I have knocked off one of them.
>> Its all currently going to plan, I am likely to still be alive in *4
>> years time

Pleased to hear that Z.

Had to don a fleece this afternoon. Pleasant AM then a cool breeze and 14C according to Henry Ford.

At which point I went indoors and booked a flight to Cyprus. Not been there for 25+ years, so hope they’ve forgotten me.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 18 Jun 22 at 19:17
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - sooty123
Where abouts LL, North or South?
East. Protaras...never been. Small apartment in a quieter part of town. I anticipate early morning and evening swims, with daily trips out in my hire car, doing my own thing.

In a previous life I’ve stayed in Paphos...early 80s. Probably changed since then.

It’s going to be scorchio. Which is fine.
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Fullchat
I believe you can now get access to Famagusta 'Ghost Town' which is Turkish controlled if thats of interest to you. Very close to Protaras
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - tyrednemotional
...all that means is that it'll be a meteorite (or a bus) that'll get you tomorrow. ;-)
They didn't factor putin in either.
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Dog
31 in Somerset yesterday. I was driving back to Launceston, fuel range indicated I had enuff petrol for 37 miles.

All of a sudden, alarm beeps + low fuel indicated. I drove on for another 15 miles to get petrol!

Car was a hybrid, so I regenerated the thing mucho going down hills.

I turned orf the aircon to save fuel - how did we ever manage wivout air con!!!
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Crankcase
Amongst the eighty two trillion screens in the phev, one tells you the potential increase in electric range if you turn off the air con. I've never seen that any higher than one mile.

Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Dog
Well, when you're driving a car you've no previous experience of, and the fuel range indicator goes from 37 miles to zero in an instant, and you're 15 miles from a petrol station ... "every little helps" :)
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - bathtub tom
>>My crystal ball shows a visit to the Jet2 website this weekend for a last minute getaway >>before skools out.

Sister-in-law was flying to Palma with them mid-day today. Text at 4AM said coach would pick them up from Brum airport at 7AM and take them to Manc. Sat around there for hours with no info, just heard they'd landed. 13 hours to Palma!
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Bromptonaut
>> Sister-in-law was flying to Palma with them mid-day today. Text at 4AM said coach would
>> pick them up from Brum airport at 7AM and take them to Manc. Sat around
>> there for hours with no info, just heard they'd landed. 13 hours to Palma!

I'd seen that reported elsewhere.

Jet 2 have a reputation for getting you there rather than cancelling flights. I assume in this case they consolidated the BHX operation with one from Manchester where they have a substantial based fleet including a couple of widebodied machines leased in for the summer.

Not uncommon where one of their planes goes 'tech' in the air for it to be turned round and landed at either Manchester or Leeds where they have a substitute plane available.

>> Jet 2 have a reputation for getting you there

But not getting you home.....
Ruddy Hell, over yesterday, and last night about three tones of wet sand has been deposited over the cars, the CCV and the house windows. second time this year.

It seems to me that Sahara sand dumps are a relatively new thing, I dont remember them 20 years back.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 19 Jun 22 at 10:30
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Bromptonaut
>> Ruddy Hell, over yesterday, and last night about three tones of wet sand has been
>> deposited over the cars, the CCV and the house windows. second time this year.

Similar here but unlike previous instances this stuff is grey rather than gold/brown. Quite sticky, needs more than just an open/close of the front door windows to shift it.

Don't remember it when I was a kid but there was probably enough muck from industry and domestic coal for cars getting dirty while parked to be totally routine.
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Runfer D'Hills
S’pose it’s a blessing you bought a car in pensioner beige then Z? Won’t show will it?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 19 Jun 22 at 11:20
...they didn't do mine in pigeon poo grey.....

.....which is a pity. :-(
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jun 22 at 02:29
Pigeons are sly though. No matter what colour you get your car in, they deliberately eat something that clashes with it on exit.
..I think the latest pigeon was the one that had eaten all the pies (even I would have been proud of the volume...)
If you sprinkle breadcrumbs on the roof of someone’s car/caravan after dark, it can result in the most dramatic amount of avian bowel activity by morning.

Not that I’ve ever…

;-)
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Ted

Just put away the bird feeders near the patio. I figure there's enough to eat in the garden for the LBJs but the Collared Doves have been invading to eat the spillage. They always seem to evacuate their bowels a second before touchdown leaving dollops of slimy mess to be trodden into the house.

Not had them round since !

Ted
>> S’pose it’s a blessing you bought a car in pensioner beige then Z? Won’t show
>> will it?

It shows on the windscreen.
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - henry k
>>Don't remember it when I was a kid but there was probably enough muck from industry and domestic coal for cars getting dirty while parked to be totally routine.

There has been a lot of it around. Not found the data for the UK
www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412019349955
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - DeeW
Here on the South Coast we did all the prep for day in the sun, but was actually so hot we stayed inside! I managed to burn my shoulders during a quick trip to Lymington in the Morgan earlier in the week .. so covered up since.
Weekend we had continuous thunder storms forecast on Saturday night and all day Sunday. Was a brief rumble on Saturday evening and nothing on Sunday .. bit of a pain as had the family down and they had planned to camp in the garden, but didn’t as packing wet tent not lot of fun. They did manage to get out in a sailing dinghy on Saturday though.
Sounds pretty idyllic, Dee. We took a holiday cottage in Lymington once with "spectacular views". There were indeed spectacular views of the back end of a ferry three feet from the kitchen window.

As to the 33 degrees in Cambridge, I was in Scotland, and it was cold and drizzly all week so missed any sun at all. Which was nice. But we did discover the delights of Dingwall.
>>But we did discover the delights of Dingwall.
>>

...well worth the 1000 mile round journey for that 5 minutes ..
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Manatee
>>. But we
>> did discover the delights of Dingwall.
>>

Did you go to Rosemarkie to watch dolphins?
Annoyingly, Rosemarkie was the agenda for the last day, but I was unwell. So I spent the day bemoaning my lot and sleeping instead. But we did get to Cromarty and the intriguing Hugh Miller stuff, on a previous day.

Dingwall, however, we liked - great little museum (the town council was, of course, in session), nice café for lunch, fantastic bakery for morning coffee and a super choice of little cakes, and the highlight of the holiday was the poster shop, where I got a keyring Dalek for a mere fiver.

Not done the Black Isle before, and there were bits we didn't get to in a week, so another trip needs to happen. Last year we were edging towards the idea of a campervan thing, then we went cold on the idea, now we are toying with the idea again, so maybe that might be a good destination initially, if I can find the 80k you need before the salesman will actually make eye contact.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 21 Jun 22 at 12:31
I can just about remember being taken on some family caravan holidays to Embo near Dornoch as a young child.
Retrospectively astonishing to think we used to swim in the sea while there.
Not sure I’d want to attempt that without a survival suit or similar now.
White sand I want to think I remember. That and my dad coveting a Volvo Amazon that belonged to the bloke in the next caravan. Dad had a Zephyr Six at the time.
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - BiggerBadderDave
"Embo near Dornoch"

I thought that was near Mos Eisley...?
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Bobby
Caravan holiday near Embo?

Grannies Heilin Hame???
That’s the one Bobby.
Very long time ago, so I can’t remember much about it, but I seem to think it was pleasant then.
How annoying re view and not the best side of the river. Now you would also see the enchanting (not) Redrow development.
We recently had a few days in an Airbnb in the middle of Cowes with views over to Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth.. much better!
My paternal Grandfather hailed from Dingwall.
The Dingwall thing is a bit of a coincidence! Let's see... Anyone got a connection to, oh I don't know, Ulan Bator?

Is the little theatre still in Lymington? Went to see 54 Charing Cross Road there a few years ago.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 21 Jun 22 at 14:05
Well, a guy I was at school with ended up living in Dingwall with his French wife. He was something quite senior in the Highlands and Islands council. And, I used to do occasional business with the proprietrix of a ladies boutique in Dingwall for a while, she didn’t buy much, but she was lovely and had an enchanting accent, so I kept going back.

None of the this matters or is even slightly interesting is it?
>> And, I used to do occasional business with the proprietrix of a ladies boutique in Dingwall for
>> a while....

...not sure I'd have posted that on an open forum....
She went bust if I remember correctly.
...or that.. (did you have whip-round?)
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Tue 21 Jun 22 at 14:41
Someone in her family was in oil, so it wasn’t necessary.
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - Ted
>> She went bust if I remember correctly.
>>
Poor market for Crocs round there, then ?

Ted
 Heatwave, what heatwave ? - CGNorwich
oh I don't know, Ulan Bator?

Funny you should say that. My grey great great great great great great great great grandfather was Ghenghis Khan
www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/1-in-200-men-direct-descendants-of-genghis-khan
I’ve always said that if I were to change my (real) name it would be to Genghis. Has an authoritative ring to it don’t you think?
...rather more so than Runfer... ;-)
Vlad the Impaler perhaps has the edge.
...no, U2 have the Edge...
And he still hasn’t found what he’s looking for apparently.
>> And he still hasn’t found what he’s looking for apparently.
>>

...everyone knows it's where the streets have no name....
Not going to make it on his own then is he?
..you could offer guidance, but I think he'll manage with or without you....
Oh honestly, you two.
...and you too!...
If only he could ask for some pro bono help.
>> If only he could ask for some pro bono help.
>>
... you're confusing your groups; that would be Free, not U2...
It’ll be alright now.
>> I’ve always said that if I were to change my (real) name it would be
>> to Genghis.

You kahn do that.

You do know he wore a tribal version of Crocs?
Yes, we still have a little community theatre/cinema, recently rebuilt, in Lymington.

We also have a relatively new community centre in my village, which includes a cinema/theatre. Culture lives.

Is there still a rally to Ulan Bator.. used to be in cars costing no more than £200.

Latest Forum Posts