Non-motoring > John Lewis Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 19

John Lewis - CGNorwich
My wife and I were in John Lewis on Sunday and since we had received a a voucher from them for Prosecco and cake for two we went into their restaurant to avail ourselves of this treat.

My wife happened to remark to the assistant that it was appropriate since it was our Golden Wedding Anniversary.

As we sat down with our treat the assistant reappeared and gave us a present, a small pot plant.
What a nice gesture from a great company.
 John Lewis - Duncan
They aren't what they used to be.

Friends have complained of their service not being as efficent as it once was.
 John Lewis - tyrednemotional
The jury is currently out for me.

Having completely refurbished our "Garden Room", I've bought a Music System from them online.

I stream all my own music from my NAS, so streaming capability with network connectivity is a prime requirement.

I also prefer to stream over ethernet, as it is rather more reliable than WiFi, and I have the connectivity available.

The unit I bought is specifically advertised with ethernet (and WiFi) connectivity, the pictures show it, and the downloadable manual on the website both shows diagrams and details its use.

The unit itself is everything I expected, except for the ethernet connectivity. It doesn't exist, and the version of the manual supplied with my unit is entirely silent on ethernet connectivity (and the manual pictures don't include it).

I'm in communication with JL, who, after 48 hours asked me to send pictures so they can investigate. It has now gone silent, and the website is unchanged.

I'm not over-impressed at the moment, but they can have a couple more days.
 John Lewis - tyrednemotional
...well, it took them some time, but we've just now agreed that it isn't as advertised, and I can return with a full refund, or have 15% off.

Whilst I probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd known about the change/omission, it functions (fully, albeit using WiFi, not my preferred wired connection) and in all other respects meets the requirements, so I've accepted the reduction/refund.

It still needs the website to be amended in three respects (description, pictures and manual download link).
 John Lewis - Kevin
>..gave us a present, a small pot plant.

Have you smoked it yet?
 John Lewis - legacylad
>> >..gave us a present, a small pot plant.
>>
>> Have you smoked it yet?
>>
In which case it isn’t Bill or Ben
 John Lewis - Clk Sec
>>since we had received a a voucher from them for Prosecco and cake for two we went into their
>> restaurant to avail ourselves of this treat.

Very nice, too. For ex employees, I suspect...

John Lewis - CGNorwich

>> Very nice, too. For ex employees, I suspect...
>>
No nothing to do with that. Subscribe to My John Lewis and you get regular rewards. Quite often coffee and cake or discounts on clothing and the like depending on how much you have spent.
 John Lewis - VxFan
>> the assistant reappeared and gave us a present, a small pot plant.

Hope you're not expecting any compensation from JL if it prematurely withers and dies ;)
 John Lewis - zippy
Unfortunately JLP's customer service has deteriorated somewhat IMHO and doesn't stand up to Amazon's return policy for faulty goods.

As an aside, I know that I have commented here before (but cannot find it) about a hire car that I rejected that was left outside my house that on entering smelled atrocious - a mixture of sewage and burning clutch / rubber.

I couldn't stay in the car and called my employer's lease company to resolve the issue and get me a replacement ASAP.

Anyway, I was charged for the car (on my cost centre at work) and sent of a complaint to the hire company to dispute the charge. This was in 2016.

Today (no joke), I have received a holding email apologising for the delay in responding to my complaint!
 John Lewis - maltrap
Just spent 400 squid on a new washing machine from JL.
No sign of a voucher yet, i'm sure it's "in the post"
Their delivery service was excellent.
 John Lewis - CGNorwich
It won’t be in the post it will be online.
 John Lewis - Falkirk Bairn
Chances are with most on-line orders the website owners never saw your new washing machine TV/bed or whatever!

You ordered on-line.
JL places order with manufacturer/importer.
Manufacturer/importer or 3rd party warehouse load it on a lorry
3rd party Lorry driver delivers

Might be different if you have paid for installation.
Our family have been caught out by "installation" - only works when you want it plugged into a 13 amp socket - many kitchens now have a requirement to cut of the plug & connect the cable to the faceplate. Currys etc do not do that their £30 installation is connecting water supply & plugging in the 13amp! A 5 minute job!
 John Lewis - bathtub tom
My local BBC consumer complaints program often has problems that customers have with JLP. It would seem their customer liaison has plummeted to the depths of Currys and SCS.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Wed 15 Jun 22 at 19:12
 John Lewis - maltrap
My Bosch washing machine was delivered for free on a JL truck, 3 days after ordering
at the alloted time, the driver ringing me 30 mintes before delivery, i installed it myself
 John Lewis - zippy
Despite problems with JL previously re a repair on a laptop, and me suggesting that we don't use them again, the lad purchased a £600 one from them in March 2022 (just over 3 months ago).

The power cable between the charger and the laptop has frayed at the point that the cable meets the charger, exposing the wires and now no longer works.

JL claim it's wear and tear and not covered by the guarantee and don't want to know.

The laptop has not been used in an industrial / work environment.

Surely a charger should last longer than 3 months?
 John Lewis - Zero
>> Surely a charger should last longer than 3 months?

The charger has, the cable hasnt. probably is wear and tear. You'd get the same answer from Currys.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 18 Jun 22 at 20:45
 John Lewis - zippy
>> >> Surely a charger should last longer than 3 months?
>>
>> The charger has, the cable hasnt. probably is wear and tear. You'd get the same
>> answer from Currys.
>>

From the charger to the laptop it's one unit so the whole thing is useless.

The cable hasn't been stretched unduly either, if there is one thing we have enough of in this house it's plug sockets.
 John Lewis - Bromptonaut
>> The charger has, the cable hasnt. probably is wear and tear. You'd get the same
>> answer from Currys.

If wear in three months leaves a cable non functional and with live wires exposed then it's not fit for purpose. I'd suggest a letter reciting your rights at Consumer Legislation, there's a template on Citizens Advice website:

You can of course amend it to ask for the faulty item (ie the charger) to be replaced.

If the laptop needs to be functioning asap them if the charger is available retail as a replacement part then obtain the part, preferably from JL, and demand the reimburse the cost.
 John Lewis - bathtub tom
>> Surely a charger should last longer than 3 months?

There's a BBC local radio station that'll agree with you, as discussed yesterday on the motoring discussion:
I'd never heard of him but a quick google gives you www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001xfs2
Latest Forum Posts