Motoring Discussion > Ireland by Bike (again) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 25

Ireland by Bike (again) - R.P.
4 day trip to Irerland. Day 1 was the ride over to Holyhead for a 0900 depart. Check in was ticketless and there were no further checks - passport never left my inside pocket. Same the other side, waved through the checkpoint. €3 to ride through the M50 tunnel (avoid peak times when it's €10 ) an opening for some superbly built and maitained roads with some fantastic bends ! Plenty to see and do in our chosen location of County Meath. Low traffic rates outside towns and fine weather helped our enjoyment. Not been since 2012 and was very glad to be back there.

Prices seem lower than the UK. Guinness, for example, was around €4.50 a pint about the same as the price rate in my local. Fuel more or less the same.

We crossed over the border to NI - nothing to note our crossing other than a large 60mph UK speed limit sign and a pot-holed poorly repaired road surface.

Highly efficient Stena crossing was impressive - 92 bikes on the sailing home ( racing in the north).

Great re-start to travelling again.

Ireland as destination highly recommended.

Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 16 May 22 at 13:33
 Ireland by Bike (again) - Runfer D'Hills
Sounds like that was a pleasant trip RP.

I’m not sure how serious I am about this, but I might need to scratch a small biking itch. I was never into motorbikes as a young guy, although oddly enough I did own one 30 odd years ago when I lived in Brazil. Used it daily for about 5 years. Sitty uppy old Honda thing with knobbly tyres. Quite enjoyable in a warm climate and rural often unmade roads.

Never did get around to having any training or taking a test but Brazil was “different” then.

Anyway, call it a belated mid-life whatever, but I’ve been sort of thinking of getting a bike licence. Thinking of long weekends away and so on. Maybe more than that if I ever get around to retirement!

Assuming I have the ability to pass a test of course, what would be a good bike to buy? I know less than nothing about the motorised variety.

I guess it wouldn’t have to be fast, but I’d like it to be comfortable for longer runs and capable of coping with a pillion passenger sometimes. Probably more sitty uppy than crouchy downey.

When a novice asks what car to buy they generally get told to buy a Japanese petrol manual, so what is the sage advice re motorcycles?

Budget fairly open ended I suppose.

Any thoughts/advice from the floor of the house?

Thanks!
 Ireland by Bike (again) - tyrednemotional
...not my area of expertise, but I toyed with the idea some years ago of similar for use with the motorhome. We ended up with electric bikes, but, when I decided that I'd like to be comfortable, and probably couldn't be ar$ed to go through the bike licence thing, I decided that a Piaggio MP3 might be a decent compromise (or, some years on now, the similar concept Peugeot Metropolis).

Hardly the "born-again biker" thing, but stable, relatively comfortable, and more importantly being three-wheelers (albeit narrow-track) rideable on a standard car licence.

Not entirely cheap, though.
I think even I know they’re a wee bit nerdy though aren’t they? Maybe not of course, but they look like they might be. Dunno. ;-)
>> I think even I know they’re a wee bit nerdy though aren’t they?
>>

...says a man who chooses to wear yellow boots....

It was quite an important factor in their selection.
I can’t get my boots on at the moment. Can’t do my laces. Slobbing around in a pair of god awful slip on trainers. It’s very depressing actually.
 Ireland by Bike (again) - MD
How many miles per annum are you looking at?
Really don’t know Martin. But, I’d imagine doing longer trips more than short ones. Little adventures now and then as opposed to daily/weekly use. Something like that anyway.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 5 Jul 22 at 14:15
 Ireland by Bike (again) - MD
I suppose i should have also asked whether on or off road or a combination of the two. I'm about to flog a trials bike I bought in 1984 as my body doesn't suit it now and was looking at a Honda CRF250 or 300L. Whether I will do it or not is an entirely different matter:-)

I'm reluctant to go back to road riding as the cars have got quicker and the brains have gone the other way. There is also the menace of the texting thumb whilst the eyes are off the road.

Just my twopenny worth................
 Ireland by Bike (again) - CGNorwich
>> I can’t get my boots on at the moment. Can’t do my laces. Slobbing around
>> in a pair of god awful slip on trainers. It’s very depressing actually.
>>

Thought of a pair of Crocs? Judy the job I would say.

Even in my current state of vulnerability and limited self esteem, I haven’t got any plans to stoop that low. ;-)
>> I haven’t got any plans to stoop that low. ;-)

...or, apparently, the ability...
Oh I can get down there alright, I just can’t do anything useful when I get there. ;-)

Up to 800m (slowly) a night in the pool now though. Just have to have a little cry every 5 lengths or so.
 Ireland by Bike (again) - Duncan
>> When a novice asks what car to buy they generally get told to buy a
>> Japanese petrol manual, so what is the sage advice re motorcycles?

Not much different, really. You will struggle to find a motorbike that is not petrol, or manual gearbox, so, yeah, buy Japanese.
 Ireland by Bike (again) - bathtub tom
As the answer to most 'what car should I buy?' questions is a Ford Mondeo, the same for bikes is (in my opinion) Honda CX500. Except they haven't made them for around forty years. The machine of choice for couriers and would (seemingly) go on forever without servicing.
So what is today's equivalent?
Royal Enfield would be my suggestion, Interceptor (650cc) that would get you anywhere at a decent speed. Very good value for money. They're going to be building some bikes in the UK soon. Triumph is the other suggestion. They have a very decent range of "learner friendly" bikes Bonnervilles and Triton are very different animals.

I'm off to the Netherlands next months (still building the trip in my my before I've booked stuff) Looking at heading to Friesland, stop off at Arnhem en-route.
>> ....stop off at Arnhem en-route.
>>

... that's probably a bridge too far for a novice like Runfer...
Boom tish or something!

I think that thing I had in Brazil all those years ago was a 650. Africa something I think. Quite liked it, but that means nothing because I’ve nothing to compare it with other than holiday rental mopeds and so on. Might have been rubbish to those who know!

Guess I just liked the sitty uppiness of it.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 6 Jul 22 at 09:36
There is a modern Africa Twin. Very highly rated.
Just had a quick look at the Royal Enfield and Triumph websites. For no reason other than “it looks nice” I kind of like the Triumph Tiger sport 660. Would I be allowed to ride that if I passed my test? Seem to think there are some restrictions for newly qualified riders or am I old enough for that to not matter?
Yes on an A class (bike) Licence as you have a car licence that bike can be bought as an A2 bike

begin-motorcycling.co.uk/a2-motorcycle-licence-indepth-guide/
Oh ok thanks for that Rob.

Saw the bone doc again today. Might be a while before I can take the notion much further I’m afraid. Still, something to aim for eh?
>> Saw the bone doc again today. Might be a while before I can take the
>> notion much further I’m afraid. Still, something to aim for eh?

Oh yes! What a good idea. I have read that '24 Hours In A&E' are short of material, so if you buy a motorbike that will give them enough work for a few episodes.

Think again. Stick to that nice Mercedes Benz E Class. You know it makes sense.
 Ireland by Bike (again) - hawkeye
I run a 2006 Suzuki v-Strom touring. It comfy over distances, been totally reliable and Mrs H says she feels secure on the back. Helped no doubt by the luggage box that she can lean on, and the wrap-around heated grips that I fitted on the grab rail. It's got a tall screen from MRA and we've been for tours in Scotland and France. It's been a lot of fun but I've nowhere near tested it to its limits. It's also got analogue dials which I'm comfortable with.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the itch relief.
Thanks Hawkeye.
Latest Forum Posts