Motoring Discussion > Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 36

Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-61254935
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - VxFan
"The activists say they have sabotaged petrol pumps by smashing display glass and covering them with spray paint."

Pity the pumps are damaged, otherwise the activists could be covered in petrol to see how well they burn.
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - Terry
Arrest them. Charge with criminal damage. Sentence them appropriately. Compensation for damage and any losses.

In many ways this is less disruptive than gluing themselves to motorway slip roads - it affects only those drivers who pay the excessive prices charged in motorway service areas, and there is probably an alternative a few miles down the road off motorway.
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - Runfer D'Hills
Makes me wonder how they got there? Walked?
Or did they avail themselves of transport featuring a fossil fuelled engine?
Surely not of course because that would be entirely hypocritical wouldn’t it?
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - smokie
Haha good point!!!
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - Rudedog
From the pictures they did also glue their hands to the pumps...

Clacket Lane Services is just down the road from me and there is a backway that you can sneak into the service area without going along the M25... I think my kids used to visit the McDonalds this way on a late night road trip.
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - CGNorwich
"Makes me wonder how they got there? Walked?
Or did they avail themselves of transport featuring a fossil fuelled engine?
Surely not of course because that would be entirely hypocritical wouldn't it?"

To be fair I don't believe their aim is immediate cessation of the use of oil (which thier name suggests) but rather ceasing to issue further licenses for the drilling for oil and gas.

Of course their methods are totoaly unacceptable and simply alienate those who might be in any way sympathetic to tbier concerns. I do find it irritating that these protestors and other similar groups use the excuse that because the government is not doing as they say they have the right to behave illegally. Why do they think that their view is more important than others.?
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 28 Apr 22 at 12:11
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - Manatee
>>the excuse that because the government is not doing as they say they have the right to behave illegally.

Well they don't of course, and they should be charged with criminal damage, but it might help if the government itself desisted from acting illegally and immorally.

Only yesterday the Commons passed the Elections Bill which cuts into the independence of the Electoral Commission and interalia will increase the number of wealthy expats who can be on the electoral role and eligible to make political donations.
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - Terry
Worth noting that the rights of expats to vote currently expires after 15 years.

The bill proposes that the right of expats to votes will be extended indefinitely, subject to registration every three years (one at present) and apply to British citizens only.

Seems reasonable to me - had this been in place in 2016 it may even have changed the result of the EU referendum. Denying British citizens the right to vote in UK parliamentary elections seems (to me) to be fundamentally unjust.
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - Duncan
>> To be fair I don't believe their aim is immediate cessation of the use of
>> oil (which thier name suggests) but rather ceasing to issue further licenses for the drilling
>> for oil and gas.

We have established on a previous occasion that you can't count and can't type. To which we must now add can't spell and can't grammatise.

Is there anything you can do?
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - VxFan
I suspect most, if not all of these crusties are on the dole, and or claiming benefits.

As they're clearly not available for work (because they've stuck themselves to something) then any dole or benefit payments should be suspended.

>>
>> Is there anything you can do?
>>
Irritate you seemingly. Getting quite good at it.
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - Zero
>> "Makes me wonder how they got there? Walked?
>> Or did they avail themselves of transport featuring a fossil fuelled engine?
>> Surely not of course because that would be entirely hypocritical wouldn't it?

There is no back way or footpath to Cobham services, so they drove or trespassed on private land
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - smokie
I think all services have a back way in, usually (always?) not a public right of way. I was towed off the M4 e4levated once into Heston then through the services out to Hounslow. Probably one of those "emergency vehicles only" routes.
Cobham has no back way in of any kind for anyone
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - Runfer D'Hills
…except for those of us who know. Could tell you of course, but y’know how it is old boy…consequences and so on…
;-)
>> …except for those of us who know. Could tell you of course, but y’know how
>> it is old boy…consequences and so on…
>> ;-)

Even ole ma Humphs faux jeep couldnt make it over the fields
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - bathtub tom
>> Cobham has no back way in of any kind for anyone

goo.gl/maps/9U1s4Ax4YncZN2ev8
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - Bromptonaut
>> I think all services have a back way in, usually (always?) not a public right
>> of way. I was towed off the M4 e4levated once into Heston then through the
>> services out to Hounslow. Probably one of those "emergency vehicles only" routes.

Exited Watford Gap similarly after a breakdown recovery on the M1 c1987. Out onto a local road and the A5 to the then Freeways of Weedon depot - now long gone. Having confirmed my Mini's CHG was irretrievably beggared they then relayed us home to Watford.

These days such exits tend to be subject to a traffic restriction with cameras and fines for unauthorised use such as 'rat running' for commuters.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 28 Apr 22 at 17:14
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - Robin O'Reliant
One of the biggest causes of Co2 emissions is the internet. So how many of these eco warriors have smart phones, tablets and various other gadgets that are online and which they spend most of the day glued to? At least the motoring industry is making large strides towards cutting it's dependence on oil whereas the 'net is growing by the day, but of course that is a bit of an inconvenient truth for these plastic revolutionaries.
The “Just Stop Oil” lot are protesting specifically about oil production. Very little oil is used in the production of electricity. By far the majority is used for transportation of one kind or another.
Ship them over to Russia and Saudi then, let them protest at the heart of the matter
>> The “Just Stop Oil” lot are protesting specifically about oil production. Very little oil is
>> used in the production of electricity. By far the majority is used for transportation of
>> one kind or another.
>>

They are protesting about oil production because of it's effects on the climate. A very convenient thing to pick if you are a city dweller with a sophisticated public transport system so you don't need a car of your own. But giving up their own little comforts and lifestyles, now that's a different matter...
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - Manatee
We are all similarly threatened by the consequences of climate change. And it's hardly convenient to glue yourself to a petrol pump whether you have a car or not.

Other than London, few of us have the benefit of a sophisticated, cheap, or convenient transport system.

Now if you were to suggest that they should inconvenience politicians...

The problem with these protests is that they are counter productive. They lead people to believe that climate change is something that only concerns cranks and the usual flaky protestors whereas it is something we should all be immensely concerned about.
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - Boxsterboy
The problem is that we ALL need to reduce our oil use, regardless of where we live. Maybe living in rural outposts (unless for work purposes - e.g. farmers) should become unviable? As much as many hated their methods, the Insulate protesters aims were right, and it's the same with this Stop Oil lot. An inconvenient truth.
>> The problem is that we ALL need to reduce our oil use, regardless of where
>> we live.

What about the elephant in the room?

During my lifetime, the world's population has, in round terms, quadrupled.

I suggest that is where the coming generations need to direct their efforts.
I see that woman who gently pressed forward against one of the unwashed scum has been banned. Pity she wasn't just fined, I would have considered contributing.
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - Kevin
>During my lifetime, the world's population has, in round terms, quadrupled.

Keep yer damn trousers on then!
 Just Stop Oil protests: Petrol pumps at M25 hit - Bromptonaut
>> I suggest that is where the coming generations need to direct their efforts.

In what way should their efforts be directed?
>> >> I suggest that is where the coming generations need to direct their efforts.
>>
>> In what way should their efforts be directed?

More to the point, with no oil based transport, how are they going to get there.
>> >

>>
>> What about the elephant in the room?
>>
>> During my lifetime, the world's population has, in round terms, quadrupled.
>>
>> I suggest that is where the coming generations need to direct their efforts.
>>

I've been saying that for years, but it will never happen because it is at the very bottom of the "Too difficult" box.

At some point in the not too distant future the stuff is really going to hit the fan, I just hope it is after I've departed. And even if we did overcome climate change the chances of getting through another century without some nutter letting of nukes, whether by accident or design, is a slim one.

It's only being so cheerful keeps me going.
I've got 20 years left max, the last 5 of which I shall be gaga.

In summary, I might miss the coming of the nuclear armageddon, and climate change means nothing to me.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 6 May 22 at 22:22
>> In summary, I might miss the coming of the nuclear armageddon, and climate change means nothing to me.

www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=we%27ll+all+go+together+when+we+go
>> I've got 20 years left max, the last 5 of which I shall be gaga.
>>

Is that one of your old posts from 15 years ago?

Hmm?
www.riskprediction.org.uk/index_lifeexp.php

5 years.
You are in the gaga period then, figures as you failed your pedant duties so spectacularly.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 7 May 22 at 08:38
Latest Forum Posts