Non-motoring > Dogs on trains Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 27

Dogs on trains - Rudedog
OK yesterday we went up to London and travelled to the very end of the Victoria line and we had our first experience of dogs on the underground.... two dogs with different owners stuck in a crowded carriage, one big grey hound the other a small yappy one, unfortunately my wife is very uncomfortable around dogs since she was attacked as a child.

I never knew that they were OK on the underground, except guide dogs of course...

The lady with the small dog who was next to me maybe inadvertently had a great way of keeping the seat next to here clear as no one, even though it was packed, sat next to her...

How times seem to have changed.
 Dogs on trains - Zero
Changed times? its been the norm for seemingly ever. Dogs are not allowed on escalators however for very obvious reasons.
 Dogs on trains - bathtub tom
I get the impression that dog owner's haven't been trained for the last few years. I haven't had a dog for the last ten years or so. I know Zeddo doesn't approve, but I could walk mine off a lead, to heel, for the couple of hundred yards to the local park, then at a command they'd run around like a demented hound chasing all the squirrels up the nearest trees. They were perfectly sociable with other dogs.

The stories you hear about dogs (Bull Terriers) maiming and killing children do nothing but confirm to me the average person shouldn't be allowed ownership. Unfotunately, I've a couple of relatives that have 'handbag' dogs that I wouldn't allow near anyone. They can't see the problem and are perfectly happy to dump them when they have children.
 Dogs on trains - Zero

>> I know Zeddo
>> doesn't approve, but I could walk mine off a lead, to heel, for the couple
>> of hundred yards to the local park, then at a command they'd run around like
>> a demented hound chasing all the squirrels up the nearest trees. They were perfectly sociable
>> with other dogs.

dunno where you got the disapproval from, its a fine thing to have your dog trained to walk safely off lead, AND to allow them to be a dog when they get there.

As long as you have a rock solid recall (even to call them off prey drive) and a rock solid down/sit/stay
 Dogs on trains - smokie
Loose and semi wild dogs ruined two good walks in Portugal this year.
 Dogs on trains - Zero
>> Loose and semi wild dogs ruined two good walks in Portugal this year.

We all know you are a magnet for every wild dog within two miles. Dont go camping in Canada, you'd be bear breakfast in seconds.
 Dogs on trains - smokie
I'm not sure those Portuguese dogs would be that fussy who they ate!!
 Dogs on trains - zippy
Doggy Z loves trains. Sits on my lap looking out the window. Wouldn't do the underground with her though as she is small and could easily not be seen and trampled on. We often get nice compliments from other passengers and she loves the attention.

She's trained to the best of her abilities. Even the professional trainer, who has dogs that do as Zero described, could only get a limited number of commands in to her and I think she's been categorised as a bit dopy. Consequently, in busy public spaces she is on the lead. In big open spaces a long way from traffic she is off the lead and does doggy things and has a great time.
 Dogs on trains - Dog
Hard enuff getting my dogs in the car, let alone a train. Not need to see, out the door and on the moor.

Unlike here, been taking them out in the car when the house viewers turn up. Might have an offer today, might not :)
 Dogs on trains - tyrednemotional
>> Changed times? its been the norm for seemingly ever.
>>

...back in the 70's I queued at Paddington Tube ticket office behind a guy in Uniform with a ginormous Irish Wolfhound. Turned out he was in the Irish Guards, and the dog was the regimental mascot. Cleared quite a space when he got on the train (the dog, though somewhat intimidating, was entirely domesticated, and welcomed human attention).

About the same time I encountered a guy travelling on the tube with a Budgie, entirely unfettered, on his shoulder. (I've seen a few parrots travelling in similar manner, but that's the only Budgie).
 Dogs on trains - Ted

I was painting at the front of the house some years ago when I heard shouts down the road. I stopped and saw a couple of people chasing a guy towards me. I grabbed him and they did too as they caught up. He had robbed a local shop.

The dibble duly turned up and he was searched. He had a cagoule with a chest pocket and asked the bobby not to open it. When asked what he was hiding, he said it was his budgie, and he was taking it for a walk !

He was told not to let it out in the van as the last thing the officer wanted to do was pick blood, guts and feathers out of the spinning roof vent at the end of his shift !

How we all chuckled !

Ted
 Dogs on trains - R.P.
Our dogs went for a ride on the Cambrian railway a couple of years ago. Both were happy sitting under a table. A woman, who thought she knew better and despite numeorus warnings tried to pet the Working Cocker, he didn't actually bite her but snapped at her.....dogs are generally fine, it's the people that aren't. The Springer is yet to accompany on a bus trip, but I'd have no qualms in taking him.
 Dogs on trains - Ted

Our Millie would be fine, she loves people so much and she's only a little rescue mongrel Border Terrier cross. She would want to sit on the knee of the one nearest the window.

Bone of contention here is that dogs are not allowed on the trams, apart from help dogs and attending the vets. We are three stops from the water park but half an hours drive round to cross the Mersey.

Ted
 Dogs on trains - smokie
The problem is Ted that your dog might love people but not all people like dogs.

There are people in this country who are terrified of dogs. I'm not quite in that league but I'm sure I am not as keen on them as many of their owners think I should be.

I am actually quite comfortable sharing space with a well behaved dog who isn't allowed, sometimes encouraged, to wander round licking everyone whether they want it or not - in fact more so than sharing space with badly behaved children and parents, of which there are many.
But I don't think it's unreasonable to have dog-free spaces especially as many dogs are not as well trained or behaved as yours may be.

>>There are people in this country who are terrified of dogs. I'm not quite in that league but I'm sure I am not as keen on them as many of their owners think I should be.
I am actually quite comfortable sharing space with a well behaved dog who isn't allowed, sometimes encouraged, to wander round licking everyone whether they want it or not

We invited some new neighbours round for coffee. I walked into the room to find our springer (benign, but totally loopy) sitting on the lap of the wife. I immediately called the dog off. The new family were finding the situation hilarious, as the wife was terrified of dogs. Fortunately, she could see the dog meant no harm. I did wonder if the dog could detect the fear and was trying to allay it. The dog was certainly not territorial in any way.
 Dogs on trains - Zero

>> I did
>> wonder if the dog could detect the fear

Yup

>>and was trying to allay it.

Nope merely exploiting the situation. Specially a springer.

Dogs on trains - Dog
>>Our Millie would be fine, she loves people

My Beauceron loves people, but he hasn't managed to eat a whole one, yet.

:o}
 Dogs on trains - legacylad
If you ever travel on the Airedale line between Keighley & Bradford you’ll see some right dogs on trains
 Dogs on trains - tyrednemotional
...Airedales...?
>> the Working Cocker, he didn't actually bite her but snapped at her.

I know a couple of working Cockers, they're completely friendly, mad as hatters, but soft.
 Dogs on trains - Zero

>> I know a couple of working Cockers, they're completely friendly, mad as hatters, but soft.

I will be with three (all from the same litter) all weekend at a training bootcamp.

I know them all well, utterly and completely bonkers, you look into their eyes and all you see are spinning psychedelic disks. None of them are adverse to having a quick nip at you, despite only meeting rarely when they do they turn in a wild west cowboy gang shooting up Dodge City - all of them utterly filthy disgusting things. To train them for anything other than basic gundog work is a nightmare, but when you do they are fantastic. Great fun to have around, in very short doses, couldnt live with them.
 Dogs on trains - smokie
There's quite a few dogs wander around the town loose where we stay in Portugal, some are owned and some are not, but there is one huge but amazing looking (and docile, probably old) which I believe belongs to one of the cafes which I enjoy watching. I just looked up and he's a chow chow.

This is him (her?) tinyurl.com/2p87bhyb but looks bigger and more bear-like in real life.
 Dogs on trains - CGNorwich
I think it says much about our attitude to dogs and children that in parks in European countries dogs are generally not allowed other than in a designated area. In England dogs are generally free to roam with only a small fenced off dog free area for young children to play in.

Personally I think there are far too many dogs in this country. Whilst some owners do train them well most don’t bother. I suspect that after the lock down craze for pets we are going to see a lot more abandoned as people discover that it takes a lot of their time and money to own and care for a dog. Perhaps a licence fee of say £100 would deter casual dog ownership.
 Dogs on trains - zippy
>> Perhaps a licence fee of say £100 would deter casual dog ownership.
>>

That would only punish law abiding citizens. Chavs and their ilk will ignore the rules as it suits.

We were not “dog” people, but got ours on the recommendation of a consultant to help Mrs Z recuperate from a serious illness.

She’s far from perfect but she is loved and cared for and kept on the lead in public, save for very large empty fields or beaches out of season.
 Dogs on trains - smokie
To be fair, badly behaved dogs aren't solely owned by chavs and their ilk, by a long chalk.
 Dogs on trains - CGNorwich
>> To be fair, badly behaved dogs aren't solely owned by chavs and their ilk, by
>> a long chalk.
>>
Very true. I would guess that in fact most dogs are not sufficiently trained to walk to
Heel on a lead, to stay, or to return to the owner when called which should surely be the bare minimum when a dog is allowed in a public park .
 Dogs on trains - DeeW
Quite. This weekend we went on a treasure hunt with two granddaughters and their 6 month old cocker, on the way to being trained well by owners plus training classes. We got to the end of the trail by the church hall, all frightfully middle class.
Ludo behaving impeccably sat by daughters leg, as taught. The terrier from hell rushed up from about 8’away, teeth bared and making a racket. Rushed round daughters legs twice trying to get to rather confused puppy. Terrier had been parked near tea area, tied up, on an expanding lead. Fortunately daughter kept upright although it was touch and go. The owner appeared, shrugged his shoulders and retrieved dog. No apology offered, I might have been a little terse when I commented on the use of an expanding lead as he retied it in its original position.
 Dogs on trains - neiltoo
>>She’s far from perfect but she is loved and cared for and kept on the lead in public, save for very large empty fields or beaches out of season.

Yes, but what about the dog?

8o)
Latest Forum Posts