Computer Related > Recommend me a free Fax App for the iPhone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 12

Recommend me a free Fax App for the iPhone - VxFan
I need to send off a fax (yes, I know, very 19th Century) but it seems the only option I have left to try and contact the DVLA, who are ignoring phone calls, and snail mail.

All the Fax Apps I've looked at so far are "free to use" but also contain "in App purchases" if you want to receive Faxes back, etc.

Now knowing how long it can take for the DVLA to respond, I would have to take out an "in App purchase". something I don't really want to do for something that I will probably only end up using once.

So, are there any actual free ones out there, and if so, can you recommend one?

Thanks.
 Recommend me a free Fax App for the iPhone - Stuartli
I fully appreciate that this is not what you are seeking, but if you use Windows there is a Fax and Scan facility for Word etc. See:

tinyurl.com/435hcu2f

for the Microsoft website's details.
 Recommend me a free Fax App for the iPhone - Crankcase
Just out of interest, what leads you to believe the response to a fax will be any different?
 Recommend me a free Fax App for the iPhone - Zero
trouble with fax is you dont have an audit trail, or anyway to direct to a recipient.

I would think it would be largely ignored at t'other end.
>> Just out of interest, what leads you to believe the response to a fax will be any different?

When I faxed my previous licence renewal to the DVLA 3 years ago, I got a confirmation fax back within ½ hour saying they had received the forms that I sent, and also how many pages they had received.

As previously mentioned in the DVLA thread in motoring, I have no idea whether they have received the forms that I sent them through the post. According to Royal Mail tracking, the envelope is still at the post office where I paid to send it recorded delivery.

Try phoning them, and all you get is "all our lines are busy, try again later. click".

The email addresses I have so far found for the DVLA all come back saying that due to the volume of mail received here each day, it is not possible for us to confirm receipt of your application.

AFAIA, I am now covered by section 88 of the Road Traffic Act while the DVLA process my application. But I have no idea whether they have actually received my application or not. If they haven't, then I'm not covered.

If I try and fax the forms to them, I'm hoping that I get some kind of acknowledgment back that they have actually got the forms.

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 23 Mar 22 at 20:18
 Recommend me a free Fax App for the iPhone - Fullchat
I think this is how we imagined things behind the scenes. Doesn't bode well:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZZ8SqKcNwk
I saw mention of this in one of the tabloids last week about the antics of the DVLA staff.
>> I fully appreciate that this is not what you are seeking, but if you use Windows there is a Fax and Scan facility for Word etc.

Thanks. I might look into this, providing my version of MS Office isn't too old to run it.
 Recommend me a free Fax App for the iPhone - smokie
My printer (Epson) comes with Fax software, maybe your does too?
It looks like my Epson Stylus SX420W doesn't have that function.

I have just had a thought though. The fax machine I used last time is still sat on top of the filing cabinet at work waiting to be disposed of. Why don't I just borrow it, take it home and plug into my phone socket.
 Recommend me a free Fax App for the iPhone - Duncan
When you start up, click on the shell thing in the bottom left hand corner of the screen
Click on 'Programs'
Click on 'Windows accessoroes'
Click on 'Windows Fax & Scan'

Won't that do it? I mean, I dunno, I haven't sent a fax for 30? years.
 Recommend me a free Fax App for the iPhone - smokie
Wouldn't you need an old modem for that? I have no idea really...
>> Wouldn't you need an old modem for that?

Yes, by the looks of the instructions.
Latest Forum Posts