Computer Related > Landlines, DECT phones, VOIP, clueless. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 11

Landlines, DECT phones, VOIP, clueless. - Manatee
For the last 3 years we have been in rented and whilst we have a landline we don't use it and have not given out the number - we couldn't keep our old one as we're on a different exchange.

Our 4 Panasonic DECT phones were written off and I was about to buy another set for when we move back to our permanent address in a couple of weeks. We'll need the landline there as the mobile signal is rubbish, although I'm looking into signal boosters.

Then it occurred to me that things might have moved on. Is residential VOIP an option? Could I answer my landline using my mobile? Could I make landline calls on my mobile? Could I answer my landline on the mobile when I am away from home? etc. etc.

I'm not especially fixated on this and I'm sure we'll get by with what we had before, a DECT set with answerphone. But if I can get more features I can look out for them. Have DECT phones acquired any new features or interoperability since I last used them?

Failing all else I just want a good DECT set with call blockery.

Help:)
 Landlines, DECT phones, VOIP, clueless. - Crankcase
Can't answer lots of that, but traditional landlines that are NOT voip are being killed off in (by?) 2025 anyway, as far as I can tell. So be prepared for a change in three years, apparently.

I can think of at least one household where that will be a problem.
>>traditional landlines that are NOT voip are being killed off in (by?) 2025

Thanks Cranks.

That's a shocker! I wonder if my prospective DECT set will be rendered redundant then.
 Landlines, DECT phones, VOIP, clueless. - Zero
Most DECT phones bought now, certainly in the near future will work on digital lines, with a simple adaptor/new socket
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 20 Mar 22 at 16:24
 Landlines, DECT phones, VOIP, clueless. - sherlock47
>> Most DECT phones bought now, certainly in the near future will work on digital lines,
>> with a simple adaptor/new socket
>>

The DECT phones base station will work with a 'digital voice ' adapter (as will almost all old phones, but possibly not mechanical bell sets), however not all 'digital' functions will then work. For example, whilst you will be able to xfr incoming calls from a new digital voice phone to any adapter that is in use, you cannot transfer a call that is answered by an adapter connected phone to to another digital voice phone or conventional phone. You will be able xfr from DECT phone to DECT phone.

Apparently newer DECT phones should be able to connect (wirelessly) directly to the BT Hub (with the Hub working as a DECT Base station), but whether all makes will interconnect seamlessly???

However try to explain the restrictions and methods to SWMBO!
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Mon 21 Mar 22 at 12:42
 Landlines, DECT phones, VOIP, clueless. - smokie
... and for those of us without BT?

I actually am not that bothered as the landline is only there because to have it taken away would out up my Virgin cost... :-)
 Landlines, DECT phones, VOIP, clueless. - sherlock47
Somebody has got DECT handsets working with Hub2 as a DECT Base station - including the ability to xfr calls.
community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/BT-Smart-Hub-2-DECT/td-p/1928039

However it appears that the BT Hub DECT Base station is not as powerful as proprietary implementations and there are problems with range and compatibility with DECT range extenders.
community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Smart-Hub-2-DECT-extenders/td-p/2192563/page/4
 Landlines, DECT phones, VOIP, clueless. - bathtub tom
>> For the last 3 years we have been in rented and whilst we have a
>> landline we don't use it and have not given out the number - we couldn't
>> keep our old one as we're on a different exchange.

That's news to me, as it was certainly possible when I left BT (mumble, mumble, mumble) years ago. In fact, geographic, number portability was quite normal. It meant you could keep your number, regardless of where you were in the country.

If you google number porting, that should give you all the information you require.
 Landlines, DECT phones, VOIP, clueless. - CGNorwich
You do have to be moving withinn the exchange area. Even then its not guaranteed

From the BT website

"If you're moving home within your own telephone exchange area you may be able to take your current phone number with you. There's no charge for this service."

www.bt.com/help/landline/manage-service/i-m-moving-home/can-i-take-my-existing-phone-number-with-me-when-i-move-house-

>> That's news to me, as it was certainly possible when I left BT (mumble, mumble,
>> mumble) years ago. In fact, geographic, number portability was quite normal. It meant you could
>> keep your number, regardless of where you were in the country.

Thanks BT, wish I'd asked you 3 years ago!

Although it's horribly complicated now, with other operators. I was with TT at the time. All utilities have been unremittingly awful to deal with. All seem to limber their callcentre staff with unusable systems. I was beginning to think I was the common factor but I have examined my conscience and it's them. Scottish Power refused to believe I didn't have a gas meter, Plusnet took a house move order 3 weeks ago and it was only when I rang them on Friday to confirm that Openreach were still booked that they found they had cancelled the order a few minutes after taking my instruction and not told me. Thames Water keep writing to me saying I must open an account online, despite me having told them I can't.
 Landlines, DECT phones, VOIP, clueless. - bathtub tom
Plusnet.

Were sending me emails when my connection was down - not everyone uses a smart phone!

Requested I replied to an email. It was bounced back 'Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we don't pick up any emails sent to this address.'
 Landlines, DECT phones, VOIP, clueless. - T junction
>Then it occurred to me that things might have moved on. Is residential VOIP an option? Could I >answer my landline using my mobile? Could I make landline calls on my mobile? Could I answer >my landline on the mobile when I am away from home? etc. etc.

Have a look at www.virtuallandline.co.uk I know of a situation where an office, used part time, ditched their BT landline but kept their number. Now able to divert to where ever they want, when ever they want, and at a good saving over BT rates. Sure other suppliers available e.g. RingCentral.
Latest Forum Posts