Non-motoring > Cafe Coffee Culture Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 26

Cafe Coffee Culture - Duncan
A little earlier today, I visited The Miss Polly Riverside coffee shop cafe, which is at East Molesey Cricket Club - very historic. www.eastmoleseycc.com/

www.misspollycafe.co.uk/miss-polly-riverside

It was heaving! Yummy mummies, silver pound, the occasional bloke, the world and his wife and more besides were there. When did this all start? there is a fortune being made, because cheap it wasn't.

I do have a very tenous connection with this place

www.eightontheriver.com/

which is at Molesey Boat Club. www.moleseyboatclub.co.uk/
Some years ago the cafe was turning over £750,000 per annum. I wonder what it's doing now? And it's money for old rope! Why didn't I get in on the ground floor?

Cafe Coffee Culture - James Loveless
There's no sign of it slowing down. "Money for old rope" is a bit mean, I think.

Anyway, why not get in while you can? Plenty of people steer clear of the high street chains. "The world is your lobster", as Del Boy once memorably said.
 Cafe Coffee Culture - CGNorwich
Cafes and coffee bars have a notoriously high failure rate. Competition is fierce and COVID didn’t help.
>> Cafes and coffee bars have a notoriously high failure rate. Competition is fierce and COVID
>> didn’t help.

That might be true where people have six fingers on each hand, but round here - leafy Surrey - they don't know where to stash all the money.
>> Anyway, why not get in while you can? Plenty of people steer clear of the
>> high street chains. "The world is your lobster", as Del Boy once memorably said.

Pendant Corner

Yippee!!!

It wasn't Derek Trotter what said it, it was Arfur Daley

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCn7Kp2M8Cc

Del said - amongst other things - "it's bonnet de douche, innit?
 Cafe Coffee Culture - James Loveless
"It wasn't Derek Trotter what said it, it was Arfur Daley"

I stand corrected - many thanks.

I assume and hope that "Pendant Corner" was tongue in cheek.
>> I assume and hope that "Pendant Corner" was tongue in cheek.
>>

I think it was the late Pat that first coined the 'pendant' typo. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.
 Cafe Coffee Culture - Zero
>> A little earlier today, I visited The Miss Polly Riverside coffee shop cafe, which is
>> at East Molesey Cricket Club - very historic. www.eastmoleseycc.com/

Had breakfast there with Mrs Z n the Golden dawgs earlier this month.
 Cafe Coffee Culture - legacylad
I never frequent coffee shops. Because I rarely drink coffee. After yesterday’s walk in the vicinity of Miserat (757metres) we stopped at a lovely cafe in Pego. My large cafe con leche was €1.50 which I thought was reasonable...it was a heck of a lot more at the airport when I flew out, and suspect it’s more in a cafe in the U.K.

This cafe culture has passed me by. Pubs are my forte.
 Cafe Coffee Culture - smokie
Pubs are a bit few and far between out there though eh? :-)

SWMBOs galea coffee (like latte) in the Algarve is frequently €1. My large beer is €2.50 - €3.
 Cafe Coffee Culture - legacylad
It’s very upmarket here in Moraira...local pubs/ bars charge €4/4.5 a pint.
Doesn’t bother me as one pint is all I can drink of the stuff....my liver likes coming here as it gets a chance to go on its own holiday, I detox, lose weight, and do a lot of walking.

Currently drinking lots of water, and more than my fair share of the Med ! Which is cold. Very cold. But I’m tuff. Or stupid.
Cortado should be your coffee of choice out there, with a small beer
Straight cafe for me or sometimes an Americano. For me milk has no place in coffee. Nor has sugar come to that.
 Cafe Coffee Culture - Bobby
Back when I worked in the hospice, I remember speaking to a couple of hospices in England who had set up a new income stream from coffee shops.

One had set up in an old Lakeland store, charity shop on ground floor and coffee shop/bookstore on second floor. Obviously huge local loyalty to the hospice and attracted customers from all the big chains because of that. In the initial stages they were also using “homebaking” from the hospice kitchen but it got so big they ended up having to use local suppliers. Were turning in a large 6 figure profit from this one “unit” alone with a ridiculous profit margin on the coffees.
Bobby said

>> Were turning in a large 6 figure profit from this one
>> “unit” alone with a ridiculous profit margin on the coffees.

Quite. My own coffee shop tipple is tea. I can buy a tea bag for a penny, some boiling water, a splash of milk, that will be - what? £1.80 if you are very lucky, perhaps £2, or £2.50. I think money for old rope is an appropriate phrase.
 Cafe Coffee Culture - bathtub tom
>>charity shop on ground floor and coffee shop/bookstore on second floor.

Nothing on the first floor?
>> Straight cafe for me or sometimes an Americano. For me milk has no place in
>> coffee. Nor has sugar come to that.

Coffee has its times and places so has its appropriate styles, There is time and place to linger over a cortado, as far as black goes there is no place for watered down Americanos, it has to be a small short expresso, sometimes no sugar, sometimes very sweet.

Sometimes it needs to be iced, with ice-cream, and maybe a little disarono
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 25 Feb 22 at 23:42
I just like the taste of my coffee pure and simple and don’t like milk. I’m sure you like those milky concoctions, just not for me.
A cortado is not a milky concoction, and it don't get purer than expresso.
Is it not concocted from coffee and milk then?

And it’s espresso
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 26 Feb 22 at 10:01
Yes has milk but its not a milky drink.

And as least you have heard of proper coffee, I wondered when you insisted on turning it into black tasteless water,
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 26 Feb 22 at 10:18
An Americano is effectively an espresso diluted with a small amount of hot water. A cortado is an espresso diluted with milk. Neither is tasteless. One tastes of milk which I don’t like.

I didn't need to be told you were into dilution.
 Cafe Coffee Culture - Manatee
I mostly decline to engage with the coffee shop thing. Each to their own but it's just money and time wasting to me.

Unlike setting the world to rights with strangers on the internet while I drink my 2p cup of red label decaf tea.

>> I mostly decline to engage with the coffee shop thing. Each to their own but
>> it's just money and time wasting to me.

I suppose it’s how you look at things. If you reduce everything to monetary worth you are right but then you would never visit a pub or a restaurant either. Perhaps you don’t It’s not just the coffee you are buying but the ability to sit down for a while, meet friends, possibly read the paper or browse the internet. For an expenditure of £2.50 that seems quite reasonable to me.
 Cafe Coffee Culture - Manatee
Indeed. Money = choice. I've 'wasted' much more money in pubs.

George Best's famous comment is philosophically profound.
 Cafe Coffee Culture - martin aston
Our town has a population of about 9000. I reckon we have 14 coffee shops (including two national chains) defined as places where you can reasonably order just a coffee if thats all you want. On top of that we have 10 or so pubs and restaurants where coffee is available but not really their main offering.

It looks like overkill to me. However, while some don’t last long, three quarters have been successfully trading for several years. So it appears there is money to be made.

Latest Forum Posts