Computer Related > Sky email Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 10

Sky email - smokie
I'm with Virgin so I don't know this.

My mate has just ditched Virgin broadband for Sky He already had Sky TV. An engineer came in to set it up and left him with his broadband password etc but no email account. We went onto his account but I couldn't see anything about email there.

Do you automatically get an email account with Sky?
 Sky email - Falkirk Bairn
It's Yahoo but xxxxxx@sky.com
 Sky email - smokie
OK thanks, I'll get him to chase up with Sky.
 Sky email - VxFan
This any help?

www.sky.com/help/articles/getting-started-with-sky-yahoo-mail
 Sky email - smokie
I feel I looked at that earlier Dave when I was on his PC earlier but I didn't think the Yahoo applied to him so didn't try it. Seems you need to be on a Sky connection to access your account, as I can't log on from my Virgin one, so I'll have a look next time I'm there. Ta.
 Sky email - Zero
One tends not to use the ISP email service, its a barrier to switching ISP providers.
 Sky email - smokie
By hiring one's own personal IMAP and SMTP setup? I don't move ISP often but were I to do so it's just a matter of changing the SMTP settings and redirecting the inbound forwarding service (associated with my domain).

In fact I'm going to see how working with the free Gmail SMTP works out, seeing as everyone with Android has that. However from memory I think it introduces some undesirable stuff into the From field in a recipients email "john.doe112233@gmail.com on behalf of john@johndoe.com"
 Sky email - Zero
>> By hiring one's own personal IMAP and SMTP setup?

One does not try and complicate things, one has to do nothing and carry on as normal when changing ISP.
 Sky email - Bromptonaut
>> One does not try and complicate things, one has to do nothing and carry on
>> as normal when changing ISP.

IME ISP provided email is yesterday's thing.

I was, for a long time, with Demon. I had my own domain in the format @mydomain.demon.co.uk
Around 2015 Demon told me, at very short notice that the facility was withdrawn unless I paid a fee of c£60/pa to a domain hoster. I paid it fir two years and then migrated everything to a live mail account I'd had for professional use anyway.

I just use that now. I can access it from anywhere and, when I change ISP, it makes no odds.
 Sky email - smokie
With live mail can you use your own domain (I mean by that fred@smith.com), for that is what I (and my mate with Sky) have? As I said, you sort of can with gmail but it isn't that neat IIRC.

I suppose I've never looked up how much the mail bolt-on is with my domain provider but firstly it'd be x2 as SWMBO has her domain too and secondly I feel as long as I get mail with Virgin I may as well use it rather than migrate to something else (though luckily atm I have free mail hosting with a friend anyway)
 Sky email - Stuartli
Many years ago one of my offspring set up a family e-mail account that uses a "forename@surname.co.uk" format.

Latest Forum Posts