Motoring Discussion > Pumps and Phones. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 14

Pumps and Phones. - Zero
At the Shell garage today, two stickers on the pumps.

Turn off Mobile phone

Pay using the Shell app

Who can answer that little conundrum?
 Pumps and Phones. - VxFan
>> Who can answer that little conundrum?

Can I phone a friend?
 Pumps and Phones. - Zero
Not by the pump, but I guess you can whatsapp them...
 Pumps and Phones. - Terry
Simple explanation - one was put up by the Forecourt Health and Safety Team, the other in pursuit of customer service by the Marketing Division.

They just don't talk to each other.
 Pumps and Phones. - RichardW
It's only a hazardous area when you are filling, so OK to use the phone to pay before you fill up. You drive your car (a permanent source of ignition!) onto / off the forecourt.

Of course MythBusters looked at it, and couldn't get any sort of spark out of a phone, even when whacking it with a hammer. It's not ATEX certified of course, and rules is rules!!
 Pumps and Phones. - Bill Payer
An explanation I've seen is that it was a theoretical issue when phones had removable batteries so it was thought that if the phone was dropped while in use and the battery popped out then it could cause a spark.
 Pumps and Phones. - smokie
I'd almost forgotten the joys of having to fill up with dinosaur pee :-)
 Pumps and Phones. - Manatee
I did ask about this and was told you are presumed to pay while in your car.

In fact I never did bother with the Shell app, which seemed to be for their benefit rather than mine, when they retired the loyalty card I just took my loyalty elsewhere.
 Pumps and Phones. - zippy
A client makes explosion proof cases for equipment that goes on oil rigs, gas installations, ships etc.

The equipment inside isn’t being protected, the installation outside is as the equipment is electronic (CCTV, radios, metering equipment etc) and if it fails and causes a spark/ fire the whole site could be at risk. Cases to keep explosions in, not out.
My plumber said the light under my stairs (where my gas meter is) should not be mains just in case there were a gas leak.

Seems a bit over cautious to me but I guess it must have happened once, somewhere, sometime.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 8 Feb 22 at 17:09
 Pumps and Phones. - Bromptonaut
>> My plumber said the light under my stairs (where my gas meter is) should not
>> be mains just in case there were a gas leak.

There have, I think, been reported cases where an explosion has occurred after a gas leak and arcing when a switch is operated being the source of ignition:

sse.co.uk/help/emergencies/gas-leaks
 Pumps and Phones. - Zero

>> Seems a bit over cautious to me but I guess it must have happened once,
>> somewhere, sometime.

Not to me, seems a really tangible risk.
Well I just took the bulb out. One risk removed but then the fresh one of electrocution if you poke your fingers in the lamp holder in the dark.

Fingers crossed then :-)

(Of course, I jest, it isn't really dark. I put in an LED strip which is battery operated and operates on motion detection. Though the live lamp holder is still exposed)
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 8 Feb 22 at 18:37
 Pumps and Phones. - Bill Payer
It's nit that many years that a gas man looked for leak in a neighbour's house with a naked flame!
 Pumps and Phones. - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMCd9NqI9JQ

Latest Forum Posts