Non-motoring > Fire safety - Scotland Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 9

Fire safety - Scotland - PeterS
The Scottish Governments commitment to safety in the home is to be commended, with a requirement for everyone to fit interlinked fire detectors

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60203081

Undermined by the fact that although these are a legal requirement in all homes, old and new, there are no penalties for failing to complying. However, at the same time, their irrational response to COVID seems to now involve cutting the bottom off fire doors in schools. They’ve obviously not considered just wedging the doors open and saving £300,000 ;)

Still, “it’s just common sense” says Sturgeon :)

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-60246163

Fire safety - Scotland - henry k
>>Still, "it's just common sense" says Sturgeon :)

I was always told to keep doors closed as a fire break.
 Fire safety - Scotland - CGNorwich
Yes fire doors should never be wedged open. Not sure it’s a good idea to cut a chunk off the door either. Wouldn’t want to be the person responsible at an inquest following the rapid spread of fire throughout a school. You can get special grill for fire doors that expand and seal when heated- called tumescent grills that would allow the ventilation required.
 Fire safety - Scotland - VxFan
We just fitted dorgards to our fire doors at work, to keep them open when needed. Upon hearing a fire alarm, they would automatically operate and close the doors.

doorguard.co.uk/

One of our other buildings had magnetic door holders that were part of the fire alarm system. Held open by electromagnet, and power disconnected to them if the fire alarm went off.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 4 Feb 22 at 13:10
 Fire safety - Scotland - Bromptonaut
>> We just fitted dorgards to our fire doors at work, to keep them open when
>> needed. Upon hearing a fire alarm, they would automatically operate and close the doors.
>>
>> doorguard.co.uk/

We had those in an office in Chancery Lane I worked in from 2002 to 13.

Doing a fire inspection (after an alarm for a cremated potato in a microwave) the LFB instructed us to stop using them.

Fire doors wedged open are a bugbear of mine as are attempts to cover the windows in fire doors for 'privacy'.
 Fire safety - Scotland - PeterS
>> >>Still, "it's just common sense" says Sturgeon :)
>>
>> I was always told to keep doors closed as a fire break.
>>

Which actually *is* common sense, and why classroom doors almost always have self closing mechanisms. In most the inclusion of self-closing ensures a safe fire escape for other classrooms along corridors (much the same as hotels), and in Grenfell propping open fire doors contributed to the rapid spread of fire. Still do what Sturgeon says “because COVID” ;)
 Fire safety - Scotland - sooty123
I'm not sure there's anything in the article that suggests anyone is cutting off the bottom of any firedoors? It just states 'doors'
 Fire safety - Scotland - Falkirk Bairn
The school door cutting was estimated at £150 per door!!!!

3 years ago the carpet fitter needed to trim 2 doors.

Joiner arrived, took 10 mins per door and charged me £30

A wedge to keep the door open would be a lot cheaper and no need t buy a new door after Covid fades (hopefully)
 Fire safety - Scotland - Clk Sec
>> Joiner arrived, took 10 mins per door and charged me >>£30

I must move north of the border!
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 4 Feb 22 at 14:33
 Fire safety - Scotland - Falkirk Bairn
Carpet fitter is self employed as is the joiner.
They rely on each other for small jobs that they fit in at the end of the morning /afternoon.
Latest Forum Posts