Non-motoring > Barry Cryer - the phone is silent Miscellaneous
Thread Author: James Loveless Replies: 16

Barry Cryer - the phone is silent - James Loveless
I seem to have missed the news from a couple of days ago.

Barry Charles Cryer, OBE (23 March 1935 – 25 January 2022).

He worked until the end. "In my business you don't retire - the phone stops ringing."
 Barry Cryer - the phone is silent - smokie
Sad news, one of the oldies and best.

Not sure the news was released till today - I'd not seen it either.
 Barry Cryer - the phone is silent - VxFan
>> Not sure the news was released till today

Correct.
 Barry Cryer - the phone is silent - Manatee
Always liked him. Last saw him in person at a recording of ISIHAC in Reading in October. First time I'd seen/heard him showing his age.
Barry had a few favourite jokes.

I think my favourite of his favourites is the story of the man who ran over a cockerel that shot out in front of his car.

He knocked on the door of the nearby farm house, apologised and said he would like to replace it. "Please yourself" said the farmer's wife "the hens are round the back".
 Barry Cryer - the phone is silent - neiltoo
He knew he'd come to Oldham when driving in he saw a sheet hanging from a bridge, saying "Happy 31st birthday Grandma"
 Barry Cryer - the phone is silent - zippy
He gave me many a laugh when driving home thanks to his appearances on R4 at 18:30. RIP.
Barry's "last joke" was on the wireless this morning.

Husband and wife waiting at a bus stop. Wife (to husband) "I'm sure that's the Archbishop of Canterbury waiting at the bus stop opposite. Go and ask him if it's him"

The husband crosses the road to ask the man if he is indeed the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The husband then crosses back to his wife who asks 'What did he say? Is he the Archbishop of Canterbury?'

"He said 'f**k off' "says the husband.

"Oh no," replied the wife, "Now we'll never know".
 Barry Cryer - the phone is silent - VxFan
>> was on the wireless this morning.

You're showing your age a bit there ;)
 Barry Cryer - the phone is silent - Crankcase
I was talking to my mother in law about the wireless the other day; she remembers having to go and get the accumulator recharged. One lifetime is all.
 Barry Cryer - the phone is silent - PeterS
>> I was talking to my mother in law about the wireless the other day; she
>> remembers having to go and get the accumulator recharged. One lifetime is all.
>>

Or less…. I was at the gym last week, at a class. I’m 50, and the age range in this particular class (kettlebells) is probably 40 to 60. The music was different last week. Someone commented to the instructor ‘oh, you’ve changed the tape’. Which then lead to incredulity from him about audio and comms tech of the 80s/90s. He genuinely didn’t know anything about how cassettes worked, that they were portable (Walkman anyone? Not as portable as phone though!), that you couldn’t just get hold of someone and change plans at the drop of a hat and, the most mind blowing for him, have any idea of how your photos would turn out until you picked them up from Boots. He’s mid to late twenties I’d guess.
 Barry Cryer - the phone is silent - Crankcase
Ah, old tech. We were mourning the passing of the multi CD changer in cars the other day. They just worked. You chucked in six, eight, ten, whatever. Done. The quality of the sound was way better than streaming.

Getting FLAC files onto an SD card or trying to get Spotify to talk to Bluetooth is a level of hassle that pays no dividends other than to the car maker, really. I'd rather have a small selection of my own music easily playable than a huge selection of probably poorer quality music with extra fiddle-baggage.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 31 Jan 22 at 14:11
 Barry Cryer - the phone is silent - tyrednemotional
...OTOH, I really like the ability to put my own music onto a USB stick, and play it in the car.

My purchased music is now via FLAC downloads, and joins my older CD library, ripped to FLAC, on my NAS, from whence it can be streamed to the two hifi systems in the house, or to various other online devices.

I convert this FLAC library to MP3 (at 320kbps) for the vehicles (3 off) to keep overall size down since I've encountered a maximum size USB stick of 64GB on one of them, and, though I swear I can tell the difference in sound quality on the hifi, I can't discern it in the vehicles.

The interfaces in the cars and motorhomes are different, but all pretty easy to use, and having in excess of 400 albums to choose from is quite pleasing.

Given that I choose to rip to FLAC for home use, the conversion to MP3 for vehicle use is simple. I can convert as many FLAC files/albums to MP3 as I want in just a single batch run. Once the conversion parameters are set up it is easily repeatable (and, not using CD as the source, fast).

Far more reliable than car CD and better quality than cassette (or eight-track); though if anyone has a car record-player, I'd take it off their hands. ;-)

(Probably the nearest I came to that was a Uni friend whose ageing Anglia was fitted with a valve car radio)
 Barry Cryer - the phone is silent - Zero
Mine is really complex. I ask Spotify to play what I want.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 31 Jan 22 at 15:01
>> Mine is really complex. I ask Spotify to play what I want.

Unless it's Neil Young.
 Barry Cryer - the phone is silent - Duncan
I was going to ask what FLAC is (Is it like flak that we had during the war, Rodney?), but as I am not interested and I won't use it, I won't bother.

If it's not on BBC Radio 3 or 4, LBC, or Classic, I am not listening.
 Barry Cryer - the phone is silent - CGNorwich
"I was talking to my mother in law about the wireless the other day; she remembers having to go and get the accumulator recharged. One lifetime is all."

We've gone full circle in a way. Practically everything needs recharging now from cars to vaccuum cleaners and from lawn mowers to to telephones.
Latest Forum Posts