Motoring Discussion > Blooming EPBs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 16

Blooming EPBs - bathtub tom
I was blocked in a car park for an hour by a stupid woman with a flat battery.

It's a private car park where you park one car behind another. I was first in and parked with my nose up against a brick wall, there were cars parked either side of me. A woman in a qashkai parked behind me. I went to leave and she couldn't start her car - flat battery I suspect as the solenoid was rhythmically clicking. She said she couldn't release the EPB. I was there for over an hour until I could get cars at the side of me moved and shuffle mine out. I guess it was a usual occurence as she wouldn't engage with me and spent all her time on the 'phone trying to get someone to come out and give her a jump start.

Is there any way to release the damn things when the battery's flat, we couldn't push it out of the way?
 Blooming EPBs - Zero

>> Is there any way to release the damn things when the battery's flat, we couldn't
>> push it out of the way?

In the workshop? yes. In a car park? No. You'll need a jump pack. Which is why they are so popular, You have an EPB I guess and you have access to a jump pack?
>> You have an EPB I guess and you have access to a jump pack?

No, I've a good, old fashioned, mechanical lever. Sometimes I wish I had window winder handles too. I've a key that fits into a hole in the door and then into a hole in the steering column. I've recently discovered that with keyless start, there's a steering lock motor.
 Blooming EPBs - legacylad
The Hyundai i 30N has a mechanical handbrake.

And analogue dials
 Blooming EPBs - legacylad
The Hyundai i 30N has a mechanical handbrake.

And analogue dials

And the exhaust goes snap, crackle and pop like Rice Krispies. Very childish.
 Blooming EPBs - Robin O'Reliant
My elderly Polo has electric door mirrors and wind up windows.

Who the hell decided that was the right way round?
 Blooming EPBs - Zero
The same one who decided that Electric Windows, Electric Door Mirrors, but no remote unlocking was a good package to sell.
 Blooming EPBs - PeterS
>> The same one who decided that Electric Windows, Electric Door Mirrors, but no remote unlocking
>> was a good package to sell.
>>

I was very surprised when, in 2014, and Avis Polo was configured like that. Hadn’t put a key in a car door lock for nearly 20 years at that point
 Blooming EPBs - PeterS
>> My elderly Polo has electric door mirrors and wind up windows.
>>
>> Who the hell decided that was the right way round?
>>

If I had to choose between electric mirrors or electric windows I think I’d choose mirrors, on the grounds that the only window I need to open is the drivers one, and an old fashioned crank operated one is easy enough and probably quicker. But adjusting a passenger side mirror by hand is a right pain. The joystick adjusters helped a little, but electrically adjusted ones were a game changer!

I have vague memories that one of my Fathers cars had an electric passenger mirror and manual drivers one…but I can’t remember which one. Probably German though, as back in the day they were notoriously stingy with kit. I recall an Audi 100 (Cd .30…) with wind up windows all round, and several BMWs that didn’t come with stereos as standard. Come to think of it, I don’t think the Volvo 740 did either…because the pioneer stereo in that was transferred to the subsequent BMW.
 Blooming EPBs - zippy
>>
>> had an electric passenger mirror and manual drivers one…
>>

I am convinced a colleague had ordered the wrong spec car in the early '90s and it was fitted with central locking on the drivers door only.
 Blooming EPBs - Crankcase

>> If I had to choose between electric mirrors or electric windows I think I’d choose
>> mirrors, on the grounds that the only window I need to open is the drivers
>> one, and an old fashioned crank operated one is easy enough and probably quicker. But
>> adjusting a passenger side mirror by hand is a right pain. The joystick adjusters helped
>> a little, but electrically adjusted ones were a game changer!

I'd go the other way, on the grounds that I open the driver's window reasonably often, and use the one touch feature to do so, but the door mirrors I adjust within thirty seconds of buying the car and probably never touch again.
 Blooming EPBs - Bromptonaut
>> I'd go the other way, on the grounds that I open the driver's window reasonably
>> often, and use the one touch feature to do so, but the door mirrors I
>> adjust within thirty seconds of buying the car and probably never touch again.

If I was the only person driving my car that might work.

Mrs B invariably angles them in tighter than I do leaving (for me) a blind spot where vehicles are not in the mirror or, unless I do a full on biker style 'lifesaver', in my line of sight.
 Blooming EPBs - Crankcase
Luxury. I was driven somewhere the other weekend by my sister in law. I sat in the back and closed my eyes. It was very pleasant.

I thought about it afterwards - I think that's perhaps the fourth or fifth time I've ever been a passenger in a car since passing my test in 1979. The joy of being the only driver.
 Blooming EPBs - Mr Moo
Many moons ago, I had a Citroen ZX Aura TD. That had a manual joystick to control the drivers side door mirror and an electric control for the passenger side. Worked well enough.
 Blooming EPBs - Bill Payer
>> >> My elderly Polo has electric door mirrors and wind up windows.
>> >>
I can't remember the year but we looked at Polo and it still had a cassette player as standard when CD players had been fitted to cars for a several years.
 Blooming EPBs - Robin O'Reliant
Mine is twenty years old this year and came with a cassette though that has been replaced with a radio CD. The last new car I bought was a Lupo in 2001 and that also came with a radio cassette and even back then that was very old hat with most cars fitted with a CD by then.

Re the windows, the one thing I miss with manual is not being able to open the nearside to either talk to somebody or to demist the window first thing. If they must put electrics in the mirrors at least make it a heater which is far more useful on a cold morning.
>>I can't remember the year but we looked at Polo and it still had a cassette player as standard >>when CD players had been fitted to cars for a several years.

IIRC, my daughter's first MX5 (MK2?) had both a cassette player and CD.
Latest Forum Posts