Non-motoring > And this evenings disaster is…. I kid you not! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 10

And this evenings disaster is…. I kid you not! - zippy
Radiator in my office (Miss Z’s old bedroom) is leaking in to the den and looking at the damage done has been doing so for a few days!

Things go in threes, yesterday the pipe to the cistern in the loft went! Luckily a mate who is replacing the collapsed floor had his plumbing tools on him and fixed it right away with no damage.

Then Mrs Z’s car tyre and now this! Btw the radiator is at the other end of the house so I can’t see it being connected to yesterday’s leak!

I’m still happy, the dog is well and trying to help move stuff (getting in the way) and an emergency plumber is on the way).

And let’s be honest after recent events re my neighbours and the dog, well, they are trifling in comparison!

I know I post this stuff here, it helps get it off my chest and in hindsight I am sure that I will find it funny as I am sure some of you do (and that’s fine too).

And this evenings disaster is…. I kid you not! - Robin O'Reliant
Zippy,

Are you Frank Spencer in disguise?
 And this evenings disaster is…. I kid you not! - tyrednemotional
...it'll be the rozzers behind it all...
 And this evenings disaster is…. I kid you not! - Terry
Obviously a positive thinker and optimist - we will all laugh when we look back.
There was a great offer for a cruise around the Bahamas in March. Something like 2 weeks for £1400 each in a stateroom with balcony. All inclusive. We have not cruised before.

I was very tempted to book it up but am glad I haven't. Knowing my luck the ship would sink or capsize or hit an iceberg that miraculously strayed from the Antarctic!
 And this evenings disaster is…. I kid you not! - Zero
with covid still a factor, a cruise ship with 1500 others, at sea*, 4000 miles away from home, is not the place to be.

*one ship wasn't allowed to dock for 5 months I seem to recall.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 7 Jan 22 at 22:13
 And this evenings disaster is…. I kid you not! - bathtub tom
>>Knowing my
>> luck the ship would sink or capsize or hit an iceberg that miraculously strayed from
>> the Antarctic!

I was given an apprentice to work with. He described himself as a Jonah and several folk refused to work with him. He wasn't stupid or careless, but things broke, went bang or wrong when he was around. I tried to build his confidence.
I moved on, but when I retired around thirty years later he turned up to thank me for trusting him. He told me stuff still broke when he was around!
One of the jobs in the morning is to find a replacement plumbing cover company.

Our current national firms service consisted of a promise to get a plumber out to us within 4 hours.

The 4 hours passed a while ago so we called them back only to be told that all the plumber will do is turn the mains water supply off. They do repairs in the daytime only.

Even I, with the DIY / Mechanical knowledge of a chimpanzee, can do that and of course have done!

You only ever find out who is good when you need them!
Oh, they want a £30 call out charge to do that and another £30 when the plumber comes back in the day to do the job properly.

I have traced the fault to a failed join on a radiator pipe, with a thermostat fitting. It looks like the thermostat thingy has rusted.

I've tightened the bolts as best I can and of course there is no water flow to the radiator but there is still a small flow from the radiator - from what was in it.

Mrs Z is moaning that we need hot water in the AM for a shower as she has an appointment at the hospital.

I have suggested she goes to mother-in-law's but that's too much hassle, even though she lives 193.59 feet away as the crow flies.

(193.59 feet - well you have to know where the enemy are, exactly!)
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 7 Jan 22 at 23:41
 And this evenings disaster is…. I kid you not! - R.P.
Same experience with Direct Line's contractors - promised a plumber within 2 hours to fix a frazzled joint on the shower pump. Phoned them after 3 hours to be told to arrange a local plumber and they'd pay up to a £150.00. This was after I isolated it myself. Complained and got £40.00 from them.
 And this evenings disaster is…. I kid you not! - legacylad
One reason I always use the same letting agent in Spain..to date I’ve rented 4 of their properties ( they own them) and had two weekend plumbing emergencies in recent years. Even late Saturday afternoon they got two plumbers out to us within 90 minutes to help what could have been a major flooding episode.

You never know how good an agent is until sheet happens. I’ve recommended this rental company to friends and they’ve always been brilliant when resolving problems.
Latest Forum Posts