Motoring Discussion > Highway hierarchy - new rules? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 18

Highway hierarchy - new rules? - Rudedog
I heard this mentioned on the radio yesterday, I thought most of this was already in the HC but I guess maybe it's coming in soon so that's why it was brought up.

I'm not 100% about but I think it's something like this...

Pedestrians
Cyclists
Horse riders
Motorcyclists
Cars/taxis
Vans/minibuses
Large passenger and heavy goods vehicles

Cyclists will now also have priority at junctions.

Cyclist passing distances are to be 1.5 metres at speeds under 30mph and 2.0 metres at speeds over 30mph, also cyclists have been advised to take the middle line on all roads.

To me combining the passing distances and taking the middle line could be interesting on some of the country lanes I go on, it could mean making very slow progress as there could in theory be no legal passing at all.

Obviously enforcement is another matter...

Highway hierarchy - new rules? - PeterS
I’m not sure that’s quite right….isn’t it:

School run SUVs
Pedestrians
Cyclists
Horse riders
Motorcyclists
Cars/taxis
Vans/minibuses
Large passenger and heavy goods vehicles

;)
 Highway hierarchy - new rules? - Runfer D'Hills
I prefer -

Me
The others

;-)
 Highway hierarchy - new rules? - tyrednemotional

>> Large passenger and heavy goods vehicles
>>
....at the bottom...? Good luck with that! ("comin' through!")
 Highway hierarchy - new rules? - Zero
Check out the "Dutch reach"

(BBD is already salivating I know)
 Highway hierarchy - new rules? - Bobby
Cyclists middle lines?
What does that mean?
 Highway hierarchy - new rules? - Duncan
>> Cyclists middle lines?
>> What does that mean?
>>

Don't cycle to the left of the lane/close to the curb (kerb?), cycle in the middle of the lane.
 Highway hierarchy - new rules? - hawkeye
... or the "primary" position as cycling instructors used to call it. The 'Bikeability' cyclist's manual also referred to "secondary" position as the place on the road where a cyclist was happy to let others overtake. Primary was where the cyclist didn't want to be overtaken because he/she/it/they were about to turn or thought the overtaker would run the cyclist out of safe space. Unfortunately, as just illustrated above, the powers-that-be only ever communicated these little gems to cyclists, leaving the rest of road users completely bewildered and not a little unhappy.
Last edited by: hawkeye on Fri 31 Dec 21 at 14:51
 Highway hierarchy - new rules? - Biggles
They are advised to cycle in the middle of the nearside lane.
With the minimum clearance being 1.5/2 m, the overtaking car would have to be in another lane anyway, even if the cyclist is on the left so being in the middle will not add to the drivers' woes and will be safer for the cyclist.
Only assuming that you are driving down a road with two lanes wide enough to pass safely and comply with the rules which is my point..

Potentially going to have impatient drivers making passes in the wrong places.

I think the 2m at over 30 mph is the one that's going to catch drivers.

Highway hierarchy - new rules? - Terry
All road users should be tolerant of the needs and capabilities of other road users - this does not need new laws or guidance.

It will not change behaviours - cyclists will continue to jump red lights and use pavements, motorists will get road rage, drunks will continue to walk out into the road without looking etc etc.

If the hierarchy is used to assume, rather than prove, blame in a "confrontation" I suggest we all get front and rear dashcams fitted. That way the motorist may then be able to prove they are blameless of that of which they are being accused.

Last edited by: Terry on Thu 23 Dec 21 at 10:33
 Highway hierarchy - new rules? - smokie
In Portugal pedestrians seem to have absolute right of way: even if they are approaching a road crossing, vehicles will stop for them. You frequently see them walking onto a crossing without looking for traffic. To us it seems very odd, but it is just the way it works over there - and before long here too, I guess

It's the kind of local driving behaviour you often don't read about - I bet very few people when driving abroad bother to read up on local rules and regs, and even if they do, how local interpretation works. (I expect most on this forum would but I'm talking in general). how many would know speed limits, or drink driving limits?
 Highway hierarchy - new rules? - Bobby
Not sure if it is all Spain but in various parts of Spain, obviously tourist places, every side road has a zebra crossing at it just at the junction with the main road. Always think that’s a good idea.
 Highway hierarchy - new rules? - Manatee
>> Not sure if it is all Spain but in various parts of Spain, obviously tourist
>> places, every side road has a zebra crossing at it just at the junction with
>> the main road. Always think that’s a good idea.

If I see a ped arriving at junction with a minor road I am turning into or out of I am ready to stop unless committed. I always thought this was a "should" anyway, although in very urban environments with crossing lights I would expect peds to wait their turn. I don't expect this to cause any trouble, unless peds start marching into the road without looking which seems unlikely, the Portuguesers notwithstanding.

Similarly I incline to make room for cycles, regardless of right-of-way.

I like the introduction of riding 'out' to the HC. Many drivers simply don't or disingenuously won't understand why riders go abreast or take the lane approaching bends or junctions, this formalises a sensible practice.

It might emerge that tweaking is needed but it looks basically sound to me.

If there is a rubbing point, it might be the reluctance of certain cycle riders to stop or slow for pedestrians on dual use paths.
 Highway hierarchy - new rules? - CGNorwich
The same rules apply in Canada. Vehicles must give way to pedestrians crossing the road. there is often a crossing marked on the road in city centres but if not the crossing is taken to be an imaginary extension of the sidewalk.

Canadian drivers generally do ot show the same aggression in thier driving as the British. It all all leads to a much safer feeling when walking the City streets of a city compared to the UK where you need to increasingly take your life in your hands when attempting to cross the road.

As regards cyclists why are drivers here so reluctant to slow down and follow a cycle for a few hundred yards when it is unsafe to overtake? The view that they must overtake no matter what seems inherent in some.

Highway hierarchy - new rules? - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> As regards cyclists why are drivers here so reluctant to slow down and follow a
>> cycle for a few hundred yards when it is unsafe to overtake? The view that
>> they must overtake no matter what seems inherent in some.
>>
>>
>>
I think we are very tribal here. Ride an old sit-up-and-beg wearing a donkey jacket with a fag hanging out of your mouth and drivers generally treat you with respect. Ride a road bike wearing proper cycling gear and you belong to an opposing "Firm" and are therefore the enemy.

Reminds me of a mate who used to tag along with West Ham's notorious Inter City Firm back in the seventies. On the way back from an away game they attacked a group of CB enthusiasts at a motorway service station because they were a different firm.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Thu 23 Dec 21 at 12:29
My concerns are with stopping on a 30 or 40 main road to let paeds cross at the entrance to a side-road, as it is I have too many drivers on my boot if I 'dare' to slow down to turn into a side-road (they often decide to pass into oncoming traffic).

Highway hierarchy - new rules? - Boxsterboy
But surely you won’t be turning into the side road at 30-40, more likely 5 or so? Slowing down in enough time deals with tail-gaters.
 Highway hierarchy - new rules? - Fursty Ferret
>> I think the 2m at over 30 mph is the one that's going to catch drivers.

I doubt it, when have the police ever done anything about dangerous driving?
Latest Forum Posts