Non-motoring > Dangerous Dog has attacked ours Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 43

Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - zippy
I am sitting in the car outside the emergency vets.

Have been for the last three hours.

Whilst Mrs Z was walking our Lhasa and delivering Xmas cards to the neighbours, our dog was attacked by a huge German Shepherd that ran out of one of the houses and picked her up in its jaws and shook her until it’s owners could prize its jaws apart.

Very worried at the mo!

Vet said she is very unwell.
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - Zero
My thoughts are with you and good luck.

It wont help any, your only recourse is to get the GSD seized by the police and possibly destroyed,
and or sue the owners of said dog for vets bills ( you may have legal cover with your vet insurance and or household insurance.)
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - Dog
Happened to 2 of my dogs: GSD attacked my 10 week-old pup back in the 80s. No lasting physical damage.

2 years ago a GSD ran from afar at my Beauceron (French Shep) but he picked on a wrongun there and ran orf with his tail between his legs.

Hope your little doggie pulls through okay.
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 18 Dec 21 at 20:46
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - Bobby
Jeez, thoughts with you.
Hope the wee one pulls through ok
Thanks for all of your thoughts.

It’s been one thing after another this year and 2022 just has to be better!

We have just got her home. Vet was happy to have a nurse stay at the practice but thought she would be better at home. She’s cannulated for fluids and has been injected with the doggie equivalent of morphine. The vet will open up again if needed in an emergency.

She IS very poorly. I’m a big bloke who has seen some horrible things but seeing her scars and puncture wounds, made me feel quite green.

She’s in our bedroom at the moment. Mrs and Miss Z are comforting her. I have been in to stroke her legs - the only bits not damaged but don’t want to crowd her so didn’t stay long.

Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - Fullchat
Everything crossed for a recovery.
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - R.P.
So sorry to hear this, hope the little dog is OK. My Working Cocker was attacked in a similar way by a horrible little terrier who shot out of its gate and took him by the throat, fortunately the terrier had him by his collar which no doubt saved him from injury. My dog bit the terrier's owner right through his finger. The owner was a k***. Had some sort of apology off him. His wife was a local Police Ofifcer and knew the consequences but I felt that justice was done.
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - Ted

Hope the wee one recovers well. Our local park has had a lot of this happen. Our little rescue furbaby has been bitten by a bigger dog, fortunately, she is a border terrier mongrel and they have a high pain threshold with a tough, fiesty nature... I think she is actually a cross between a bulldog and a s***zu.......making her a Bullsh*t.

A dog trainer on our local FB group forum commented that there is a sure way to repel any dog. Use an aerosol spray of Ralgex or Deep Heat on it's face. Only hearsay but it seem logical the smell and the pain in the eyes would surely be enough to make the aggressor run off squealing !. Legal to carry as well, unlike pepper spray.

Ted
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - Lygonos
Think I posted the Ralgex strategy here last year sometime - had a summer job as a Postie in Edinburgh when I was a student in the 90s. One of my colleagues carried a can of Ralgex in his pocket - says a "scoot up the hooter" was 100% effective on any dog at large.

Called the police last night to report the incident and they said that there is nothing that they can do.

The GSD is dangerous. If our dog wasn't there then I am convinced that it would have gone for Mrs Z.

It ignored all commands to stop.
>> Called the police last night to report the incident and they said that there is
>> nothing that they can do.

Rubbish. You insist they make a report, use the words "dog dangerously out of control" and "threat to public safety"

>> A dog trainer on our local FB group forum commented that there is a sure
>> way to repel any dog. Use an aerosol spray of Ralgex or Deep Heat on
>> it's face.

Yeah Fab, I mean everyone has sufficient pocket space to walk around all the time with a spray can of ralgex, and has the presence and skills to get it out quickly and make sure its pointing the right way while being attacked by a dog.

Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - smokie
That probably came up when I raised being threatened by an aggressive dog in Portugal. I'll have to revisit that thread as I've forgotten the best method to use when you are under threat.
>> That probably came up when I raised being threatened by an aggressive dog in Portugal.
>> I'll have to revisit that thread as I've forgotten the best method to use when
>> you are under threat.

the assumption is, the only one you can rely on, is that you will have no defensive items on you.

that was assumption 1. Assumption 2 is that the dog is going to bite you. Thats how dogs work thats why they are equipped the way they are

so let it, but chose your target.

if you can, give it your foot, shoe on, sideways into its mouth if possible. if not give it your arm, lower arm. you can work out what to do later but at least its not got your throat. You cant put a tourniquet round your neck.

Interesting fact about dogs, they have rubbish muscles to open the mouth, you can hold it shut with two fingers. Unlike the tremendous muscles that close the jaw, you wont stop that.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 19 Dec 21 at 10:14
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - smokie
ISTR we went through bonios. sticks (either to hit it with or to throw for it), pepper spray or CS gas but I think we ended up with staying fairly still, not waving arms about and not looking it in the eye, until it either loses interest or eats me.
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - Falkirk Bairn
Many years back my M&D's Cairn was savaged by an Alsatian - ripped the skin from the neck down the chest.
I went down and you could see the veins etc. Into the car and up to the vet. If any of the blood vessels had been damaged the wee dog would have died on the spot.

Aged around 6 at the time the dog made a full recovery lived on to nearly 14.
I hope Zippy's dog does likewise.
>> ISTR we went through bonios. sticks (either to hit it with or to throw for
>> it), pepper spray or CS gas but I think we ended up with staying fairly
>> still, not waving arms about and not looking it in the eye, until it either
>> loses interest or eats me.

I think we also agreed by body language you are natural dog prey, lower on the food chain.

If you are coming off the beach to the bar, all you have is your ray bans, speedos and flip flops. No bonios, sticks, pepper spray, cs gas.
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - Kevin
Can't he keep bonios in his Speedos or would that invite an inquisitive dog to take a bite?
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - tyrednemotional
...getting a bonio in your speedos is certainly likely to attract some attention...
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - Lygonos

>>Can't he keep bonios in his Speedos or would that invite an inquisitive dog to take a bite?

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-who-genitals-ripped-eaten-13520910
Any news Zippy ?
>> Any news Zippy ?
>>

Thanks again for everyone’s kind thoughts!

We are exhausted. Up all night nursing her and back to the vet this AM.

She is up and about but very subdued.

Won’t let me take her pressure suit off which needs to come off for a wee.

Looked at my T-shirt this morning and it was cream, it’s now red. Did t realise. The vet said it was touch and go. Her intestines were out, They were only apparently bruised so he thinks. When the swelling goes down he will be able to tell if she is going to make it and if so if it will be a a full recovery or not.

I think there are some typos and grammatical errors above. Sorry typing on an iPhone without my specs so everything is a bblluurr!
What a *king idiot. There are some very strange people about.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10327075/Moment-hero-Amazon-driver-puts-rampaging-pit-bull-order-save-customers-daughter.html
She called the, what looks like a staffie cross, NOT a pit bull, to her in the first place, she had the situation under control, and had she kept the small dog high in her arms, the fight - and thats all it was - a dog hoo ha- would not have happened. The dog is not rampaging, not blood thirsty. You dont shoo a blood thirsty rampaging crazed pit bull away without being severely injured and your pet dog a mere furball smear on the pavement.

Total bollo that story.
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - Duncan
>> Total bollo that story.
>>

Daily Mail.
There were two ambulances and two paramedic cars parked outside our house when I got home from an errand earlier today.

There was also a helicopter circling (turns out it was the air ambulance - likely from Redhill?).

There is only enough width for a single row of vehicles on our drive so I abandoned the car on the road and ran up the hill very worried, especially as Mrs Z wasn't well this morning.

It turns out they were there for our neighbour, the owner of the German Shepard that attacked our dog. He had a heart attack and he has very sadly died.

We last spoke on Christmas Eve when he enquired about the health of our dog again and said he will take care of the vets bills and we had a warm and friendly chat for about 45 minutes.

I've had enough of death and illness this year.
Last edited by: zippy on Tue 28 Dec 21 at 16:26
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - BiggerBadderDave
"It turns out they were there for our neighbour, the owner of the German Shepard that attacked our dog. He had a heart attack and he has very sadly died."

Must have just received your vet bill.
>>
>> Must have just received your vet bill.
>>

That made me smile!

He was not short of a bob or two judging by the Porsche and Range Rover on his drive and the vets bills so far are not as bad as you might imagine - our vet is independent and charges reasonable rates, the 3 hour operation and daily visits are <£1k. I know from a friend of Mrs Z who is a nurse at a chain vet, that we would be looking at small car money if we had taken our pooch there.

Insurance will cover the majority anyway.

>> Insurance will cover the majority anyway.

If the bill gets really big, they may wish to recover the money from the party responsible.
How's your dog ?
>> How's your dog ?
>>

Whilst not 100% "out of the woods yet", she is making remarkable progress, given that 9 days ago she was at deaths door. She has a scar running almost the length of her torso and teeth marks across her back, but she is insistent on participating in family activities.

One thing, though, she won't go out in to the garden by herself at the moment.

The vet has said that a few minutes later getting her there and she would not have survived. I think I mentioned above that some of her intestines were hanging out of the cut and that is what they are worried about still because if they do turn out to be damaged then things get very complicated and expensive, but so far her movements are fine.

She is off her food save for peas, a joint of ham and a donated steak from my dad in that order.
>>
>> If the bill gets really big, they may wish to recover the money from the
>> party responsible.
>>

I think given the circumstances, a good insurer would probably right it off.

>> I think given the circumstances, a good insurer would probably right it off.

They write off nothing, its always recovered, in ways you may not think.
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - legacylad
That’s very sad.

What model Porsche is it ?
Found out this morning that he was 63!
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - Bromptonaut
>> Found out this morning that he was 63!

Hells Bells - a year older than me.

My maternal Uncle died of Myocardial Infarction aged 60 in 1983 but he was a 40 a day man.
 Dangerous Dog has attacked ours - legacylad
Poor chap.
The older I get the more conscious I become of healthy eating. I’ve never in my life eaten ‘fast food’ from KFC etc, like my veg, a massively reduced red meat intake the past 10 years, avoid biscuits and strangely have lost my sweet tooth in recent years.
At least I rarely drink alcohol at home. The occasional bottle of beer if I push the boat out, but never drink wine or spirits at home, unless in Spain when I go off the beer and on to gin y cheap vino.
My father died aged 51 of a coronary occlusion, so I’m very aware of both processed and fatty foods.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 3 Jan 22 at 12:51
>>Found out this morning that he was 63!

Getting on then. My dad 'went' at 54. Wife's mum at 45.
Took dog for a walk today.

She refused to walk past the house where the attack happened.

I am going to try it with one of her doggy friends at the weekend to see if it makes a difference.

Counselling for the pooch perhaps!? :-)
Unless its the only way in and out, why walk past the house, too soon.

If you need to, you walk to the point where the dog starts to shows signs of stress. Reward, play comfort, whatever motivates the dog at that point.

Next day you do it a yard further on..... and so on

>> Next day you do it a yard further on..... and so on

Unfortunately it is the only way to road.

We have been popping her in the car and walking her somewhere flat on the vets advice up to now, but today she was begging for a walk right out of the front door, so went to walk down the drive then froze at the location of the attack.

Yes, we will do a few steps at a time with a supply of her favourite rewards.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 7 Jan 22 at 02:40
Make sure you are not transmitting stress to the dog, you'd be surprised how many times the dog is only stressed because the owner is.
Appreciate that!

I have absolutely no problem about the other dogs (Mrs Z does as she was there) and doggo was in a happy mood until we got to that house.
Latest Forum Posts