Computer Related > Help for daughter - new PC Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 18

Help for daughter - new PC - No FM2R
My daughter is about to buy this, and I'm out and about.

I would be very grateful if someone could have a quick look and pass an opinion. It doesn't matter if she could do better, as long as it is not a disaster.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09448PQZN/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_6PQG1CBPG8D6G2MWHDDV

Thank you.
 Help for daughter - new PC - smokie
Depending what she intends doing it looks a pretty decent spec.

They call it a gaming machine, and it will comfortably handle most I'd have thought, though for real gaming the graphics card alone would cost as much as that machine.

Shame there isn't an SSD drive.

It'd be overspecc'd for most of us here I'd say., i.e. browsing and a bit of Word/Excel.

Looks value for money though.
 Help for daughter - new PC - Zero
Built for speed clearly, SSD would have been nice, looks ok for the money. Not a disaster.

Bt flashy tho!
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 16 Dec 21 at 16:04
 Help for daughter - new PC - tyrednemotional
I'd like to know which B450M motherboard it is, but I think most are now lined up to support WIN11 if/when it's required. It would be useful to know if it had an nVME slot for future SSD upgrade.

Personally, I'd want nVME SSD (at least 500GB) from scratch, and there isn't much of a premium over HDD nowadays.

I'd also want to clarify whether it is 16GB of memory or 8GB as there is some conflict in the text.

I have a 16GB 450M-based machine with a Ryzen 5 5600G cpu (just upgraded to that as the previous cpu wouldn't allow me ultimately to move to WIN11) and it is more than adequate as a general purpose machine. I certainly wouldn't say it was a gaming configuration with the integrated graphics (those in the 5600G aren't bad, but certainly not prime gaming). Given that, the case is "bling".

Not a disaster, but I suspect could do better for around the same money.
>. but I think most are now lined up to support WIN11 if/when it's required.

Not a major issue if its not, lots of easy workarounds to install Win 11* (if you want) on non UEFI secure boot and TPM systems.

Tho what happened to Win 10 being the last ever version of windows?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 16 Dec 21 at 17:09
Thank you gentlemen.
 Help for daughter - new PC - Kevin
Pahh! Doesn't even have a cup holder.
...having clicked on the link again, the alternate (more expensive) configuration opened. My comments were for the cheaper (£559) config that opened for me (on the same link) first time round.

I think if it's the more expensive (£899) version under consideration, then there are likely to be better options around (esp. if the prime target is not gaming).
>>I think if it's the more expensive (£899) version under consideration

It is, with Christmas money from one of her grandparents.

The difficulty for me is doing much from 8,500 miles away hence really wanting to know if it was a disaster, or merely just not as good as is possible.

Zero - do you still build PCs? If so, drop me an email with thoughts/prices please.

>> Zero - do you still build PCs? If so, drop me an email with thoughts/prices
>> please.

U have mail
...Z's obviously dropped you some detail, so I'll refrain from going in deep, but given the Amazon starting point you put forward, you could build/have built a well-spec'ed but not leading-edge m/c for around the £650 range.

That assumes you don't want top-end gaming (the Ryzen 5 5600G has remarkably capable integrated graphics that will easily game at low to medium level, which means that it is also more than adequate for general-purpose computing).

Some of the pricing is informed by the fact I built my S-i-L an AMD-based m/c a couple of months ago.

mATX Case to suit.
400W (say) decent power supply.
AM4 B450 mATX motherboard (of reputable make).
Ryzen 5 5600G processor with integrated graphics.
2x8GB DDR4 memory (for dual-channel performance)
512GB nVME SSD
Wifi-Card
Win10 Licence and install media

For good quality components £650-680.

That will be as fast a general-purpose m/c as anyone would want, and WIN11 compatible.
>> ...having clicked on the link again, the alternate (more expensive) configuration opened. My comments were
>> for the cheaper (£559) config that opened for me (on the same link) first time
>> round.

Oh yeah, the £599 one opened for me too. Second time round the £899 one opened.
 Help for daughter - new PC - smokie
Oooh yes, I got the cheaper one which I commented on but the link now opens the dearer one...
 Help for daughter - new PC - zippy
Would strongly recommend one with a same day on site service plan if it's being used for Uni.

The number of times I got a call re a dead laptop, pleading with me to fix it as an paper was due in etc.

All computers purchased for the kids whilst at uni there after came with a 3 year, next day on site warranty, including accidental damage.
>> Would strongly recommend one with a same day on site service plan if it's being
>> used for Uni.
>>
>> The number of times I got a call re a dead laptop, pleading with me
>> to fix it as an paper was due in etc.
>>
>> All computers purchased for the kids whilst at uni there after came with a 3
>> year, next day on site warranty, including accidental damage.

Its made from commercially available components, every PC shop (always one near a uni) or amateur builder can fix it.
>> Pahh! Doesn't even have a cup holder.

Here you, daughter can light her fags too.

youtu.be/_ErL39wqO-c?t=96
I wonder if she could keep the cocaine in what used to be the optical drive.
>> I wonder if she could keep the cocaine in what used to be the optical
>> drive.

you cut the coke with a razor blade on a the cd. Its easier than the top of the toilet cistern.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 16 Dec 21 at 17:55
It has to be said, that the Amazon PC at the start of the thread,,does not include Screen, keyboard or mouse. And a tower style PC is probably not best suitable for Uni. laptop is much more suitable.

Latest Forum Posts