Motoring Discussion > Zero stars for the Zoe. Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 11

Zero stars for the Zoe. - No FM2R
www.euroncap.com/en/results/renault/zoe/44206
 Zero stars for the Zoe. - Crankcase
I see that in 2013 the Zoe got five stars out of five.

Probably the tests have changed since 2013, and/or Renault's Zoe facelift since 2013 has possibly affected it negatively.

I imagine the results actually mean "rated in comparison to" everything else currently on the market with the very latest bells and whistles, so newer stuff will always score higher.

Does it really mean a 2021 model is "less safe" than a eight year old one?

More to it than that it seems.

The NCAP tests have been upgraded, but the ZOE has not been and apparently in some areas is now worse.

insideevs.com/news/553158/renault-zoe-euroncap-0stars-crashtest/

Also, Euro NCAP adds “The (2021) Zoe, a facelift introduced in 2020, received several battery improvements but no added safety. On the contrary, the seat-mounted side airbag which previously protected head and thorax has been replaced by a less effective thorax-only airbag, representing a degradation in occupant protection. The new Zoe offers poor protection in crashes overall, poor vulnerable road user protection and lacks meaningful crash avoidance technology, disqualifying it for any stars.”
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 9 Dec 21 at 11:19
 Zero stars for the Zoe. - Bobby
Ouch!
That is going to surely kill this model off rapidly?
 Zero stars for the Zoe. - tyrednemotional
....does the heading imply there is no protection against collisions with buses?...
>> ....does the heading imply there is no protection against collisions with buses?...
>>

"and lacks meaningful crash avoidance technology"

Well, he certainly shouldn't risk it with his eyesight.
 Zero stars for the Zoe. - Manatee
I decode that as saying if autonomous braking and lane-keeping aren't fitted then it's basically disqualified, if not completely then at least from getting a decent score.

Personally I don't regard those as essential safety features. None of our cars has them.
To be honest I've never paid too much attention to the details of NCAP because I think it is flawed in several ways, but anything which drives greater attention to safety must surely be a good thing.
 Zero stars for the Zoe. - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> Also, Euro NCAP adds “The (2021) Zoe, a facelift introduced in 2020, received several battery
>> improvements but no added safety. On the contrary, the seat-mounted side airbag which previously protected
>> head and thorax has been replaced by a less effective thorax-only airbag, representing a degradation
>> in occupant protection. The new Zoe offers poor protection in crashes overall, poor vulnerable road
>> user protection and lacks meaningful crash avoidance technology, disqualifying it for any stars.”

>>

Damn!

My motorbike has none of those either. And even my old Polo misses out.
 Zero stars for the Zoe. - Boxsterboy
As someone who has had no significant collisions in 40 years of driving (touch wood) I place absolutely no importance on these NCAP ratings when buying a car. Heck the addition of 'lane-keep assistance' unless it could be permanently disabled actually would stop me from buying a car.

If I was worried about crash safety I would certainly not be driving my 2CV!
>> As someone who has had no significant collisions in 40 years of driving

You're a braver man than me. I can't even say "the traffic is light today" without instantly ending up in a traffic jam. I just know what would happen if I made such a statement about collisions.
 Zero stars for the Zoe. - Manatee
Lane departure warning is really annoying. I've not found anybody who doesn't turn it off. Given the frequency with which most of us change lanes or simply have to cross a line in normal driving it's the ultimate in crying wolf.

I suppose one can try to train oneself always to signal, which overrides it.

I could probably live with blind spot monitoring, although I find that properly adjusted door mirrors don't really have a troublesome blind spot.
Latest Forum Posts