Motoring Discussion > Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 32

Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - Bromptonaut
My son is in the process of buying his first home. Relatively straightforward, freehold, no chain. He and his girl are both in secure employment - Civil Servant and Teacher and they've a mortgage agreed in principle.

As part of the selling agents inquiries into his bona fides they needed proof of address for which he used his Driving Licence. Agent pointed out that the photocard was expired. He's recently hit 27 and it was issued 10 years ago as a provisional.

Quick check found that Mrs B's had expired in the middle of 2020.

Hopefully both need do no more than go on line with an updated photo...
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - PeterS
I renewed mine earlier this year, though because of a house move that coincided roughly with its expiry date. So I’m sorted until 2031, by which time I’ll be 60…!! I think it’s the 3rd photo card I’ve had… The picture has been lifted from my passport, and from memory it came in under a week. Though, the passport it was lifted from was 2013 and so the photo will be way out of date by the time the card expires again!!
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - Rudedog
What's the rub if it's expired??

I take you can still drive or does it invalidate it?

Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - Zero
As a magnificent birthday gift from HM gov for surviving 70 years of their mismanagement, mine expires after only 6 years.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 24 Nov 21 at 16:07
>> What's the rub if it's expired??
>>
>> I take you can still drive or does it invalidate it?

There's a fine of up to £1k but so far as I can see the underlying entitlement to drive is still there; the offence seems to be about not having evidence.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - Biggles
One significant downside is that the insurance may not be valid.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - No FM2R
>> One significant downside is that the insurance may not be valid.

It has no bearing. "holds, or has held and is not disqualified from holding"
>> One significant downside is that the insurance may not be valid.

Do you know that to be the case? Are there for example Ombudsman cases to support insurers who penalise you for an expired photocard?

EDIT: NoFM cross posted.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 24 Nov 21 at 16:24
>> >> One significant downside is that the insurance may not be valid.
>>
>> Do you know that to be the case? Are there for example Ombudsman cases to
>> support insurers who penalise you for an expired photocard?
>>

No.

>>EDIT: NoFM cross posted.

Right back atcha.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 24 Nov 21 at 16:26
How often are you required to identify yourself in the UK?

How do you do that? Passport, Driving licence, and... ?
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - sooty123
>> How often are you required to identify yourself in the UK?

Not very often for most people I would have thought.

>> >> How often are you required to identify yourself in the UK?
>>
>> Not very often for most people I would have thought.

Well, that would have been my thought but after a couple of months in the UK having not been there for a while, bringing a child who wished to create an adult life, it was a frequent requirement.

I love ID cards, they make life so damn easy.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - sooty123
> Well, that would have been my thought but after a couple of months in the
>> UK having not been there for a while, bringing a child who wished to create
>> an adult life, it was a frequent requirement.
>>
>> I love ID cards, they make life so damn easy.
>>

I would imagine for limited circumstances like that, there would be a fair bit of it. But for most people day to day it doesn't really happen much.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - BiggerBadderDave
"I love ID cards, they make life so damn easy."

Absolutely.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - PeterS
>>
>> How do you do that? Passport, Driving licence, and... ?
>>

The only time I need to identify myself in day to day life is if I have to pick a parcel up from the post office, and then the card they left plus the photocard from the driving licence is sufficient. I can’t think of anything else that needs ID day to day. More infrequently, engaging a solicitor or accountant will mean going through a load of ‘Know Your Client’ stuff that’ll need a passport, as will opening a bank account.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - Kevin
I wanted some 8mm pipe fittings over the weekend and the only place that was open and had them in stock was Screwfix. I signed up and ordered via their Click&Collect scheme.

"Thank-you, we will text you when your order is ready. Please bring a photo-id with you, either a photo Driving Licence or Passport is acceptable."

..or words to that effect.

All for £5 worth of pipe fittings pre-paid via PayPal.
Last edited by: Kevin on Wed 24 Nov 21 at 16:39
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - Duncan
>> I wanted some 8mm pipe fittings over the weekend and the only place that was
>> open and had them in stock was Screwfix. I signed up and ordered via their
>> Click&Collect scheme.
>>
>> "Thank-you, we will text you when your order is ready. Please bring a photo-id with
>> you, either a photo Driving Licence or Passport is acceptable."

IIRC, in practice, Screwfix and their mates acroos the road, ToolBox, or whatever, just want to see the email on your phone.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - Kevin
>IIRC, in practice, Screwfix and their mates acroos the road, ToolBox, or whatever, just
>want to see the email on your phone.

Yup, guy behind counter just wanted to see the confirmation on my phone.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - Timeonmyhands
It’s a requirement of PayPal not Screwfix.
>>
>> How do you do that? Passport, Driving licence, and... ?

It's becoming more common for example at hotels. Last time I stayed at a Youth Hostel, Longthwaite in the Lakes, I was asked for ID. Fortunately I had by DL with me.

Mostly though it's an issue when hoop jumping with finance, solicitors or other regulated professions who have to cover their backs on money laundering. As posted previously on this site I loaned my daughter funds for 'bridging' house sale/purchase. Her solicitor needed various forms of ID from me before they'd let me transfer the dosh.

Driving Licence is usually good as it's both ID and proof of address. Sometimes though address and ID need to be proved separately.

If you're claiming Universal Credit on line and have a passport and DL plus presence on the electoral register (in practice it's more algorithmic than that) then that's enough to get your ID sorted to the point you're eligible for an advance.

They do though have other ways and even the chap who's lived with his Mam all his life up to 40 with work history etc can pass ID via a biographical interview. Apparently DWP will do searches etc of their records and those of HMRC etc they can access so as to be able to do a Q&A where the claimant confirms various facts about themselves.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - Crankcase
We went last year to see Prince Charles' garden at Highgrove, and they wanted photo id to get in (which Mrs C doesn't have). Be the National Trust next.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - bathtub tom
>> Her solicitor needed various forms of ID from me before they'd let me transfer the dosh.

My solicitor did all that when I commenced my current house purchase, however....................

I transferred the funds from various sources into my 'nominated' account with no problem, but when I attempted to transfer it to the solicitor's account - ten minutes on hold to first speak to my bank, then twenty minutes on hold waiting for the 'anti fraud department' to answer. They then told me they couldn't proceed unless I contacted my solicitor to verify the sort code, account number and reference. I pointed out I'd already transferred two sums this week, one of which was the deposit.The 'anti fraud department' then said they couldn't continue, as the previous department hadn't forwarded the security checks and I'd have to start the procedure again.

The CEO received an email.

I discovered I could transfer £100K a day without jumping through hoops. Spanish practices!

Today I noticed a £50 credit 'account adjustment', no message and no reply from the CEO.
>> when I attempted to transfer it to the solicitor's account - ten minutes on hold
>> to first speak to my bank, then twenty minutes on hold waiting for the 'anti
>> fraud department' to answer. They then told me they couldn't proceed unless I contacted my
>> solicitor to verify the sort code, account number and reference. I pointed out I'd already
>> transferred two sums this week, one of which was the deposit.The 'anti fraud department' then
>> said they couldn't continue, as the previous department hadn't forwarded the security checks and I'd
>> have to start the procedure again.

Done a number of large transfers over the last four years concerned mostly with sorting my late Mother's affairs and the consequences of inheriting - pay of mortgage, bank of Mum and Dad etc. Largest was half of a whole of life insurance policy that paid out to me but was divided with my sister.

Santander were pretty good. If it's over their (probably dynamic) one transaction limit on line then you're given a number to call. They will go through the usual stuff about the whys/wherefores to ensure your of sound mind and not being led by the nose.

Agent #1 tells you agent #2, presumably a more senior bod with authority to Yea/Nay the transaction, will call you shortly. Agent #2 covers same ground as #1 but in different terms; bit like a personality test.

If you pass muster the transaction goes through.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - tyrednemotional
>>

...I can usually identify myself with no problem, but when I forget I take a quick look at my bus pass.....
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - Bobby
We need ID now to use our Council Recycling Centre / Dump.

Which I have used quite a lot in last 18 months.
>> We need ID now to use our Council Recycling Centre / Dump.

Ours has signage saying you may need to prove residence in Northamptonshire but I've never been asked for it.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - Zero
>> >> We need ID now to use our Council Recycling Centre / Dump.
>>
>> Ours has signage saying you may need to prove residence in Northamptonshire but I've never
>> been asked for it.

Ditto in Surrey
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - Robin O'Reliant
We have to display a utility bill at ours.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - Bill Payer
>> We have to display a utility bill at ours.
>>
Can be a faff if you do it all online, and / or if everything is in one partner's name

Mrs BP struggled when she needed ID to access an old saving account she hadn't touched for years as she had nothing on the second list which wanted utility bill, insurance cert etc.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - henry k
I live a sheltered life.
I now have a new driving licence, valid for three years?. No idea where the old one went.I have never used it for anything . My new one has an image of someone on it. I guess it was from my passport which has long expired.
I have an ancient, valid bus pass that has a mug shot on it.
I guess all access to everything will have to live on a phone.
Progress ? For the phone has replaced a handbag full of stuff and requires an electronic rummage etc to find membership and and payment screen. I still have to queue behind a numpty.
My son has loads of clever bits on his iPhone but i still know a few better local routes than Waze
in normal hours.
Little chance of an ID card in the near future so i will have to keep my bus pass and ???? to show I can by beer in Waitrose.

>> >> How often are you required to identify yourself in the UK?
>>
>> ...I can usually identify myself with no problem, but when I forget I take a quick look at my bus pass.....

Really? The bloke on my ID card is old, bald and I am sure looks nothing like me. I distinctly remember being young, blond and thin.

Same as the bloke in the mirror as well, some old bloke that I don't recognise.
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - tyrednemotional
...maybe you should have kept your ID card in the attic....
 Driving Licence - Is Yours in Date? - BiggerBadderDave
Back in the 90s, I thought it would be fun to have a dog tag made when I was in the souvenir shop of the Smithsonian. It's just my name with 'Manchester' underneath. I still have it, I still wear it every day. Very useful when someone barks at me 'Who the hell do you think you are?' (usually my old man).
Latest Forum Posts