Computer Related > Using Mail Merge for bulk email Computing Issues
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 7

Using Mail Merge for bulk email - Manatee
Has anybody done this using MS Word?

I have 1300 email addresses and I want to address them personally and not have to send them individually. I can experiment of course when I get time but I'd like to know it's practical, and of any wrinkles.

Tips appreciated:)
 Using Mail Merge for bulk email - Crankcase
Probably out of date now, but when I was working we needed to do this. We found using the built in mail merge features lacking in some ways I now don't remember, and put in this, which everyone said worked very well.

www.mapilab.com/outlook/mail_merge/

Using Mail Merge for bulk email - Manatee
Thanks Crankcase. I'll see what we need to do. It's for a friend who has 'harvested' some emails from a promotion.

They've all consented to their emails being used but I'm not getting involved in the compliance.

I can see why you might have gone for the add-on - some useful-looking features.
 Using Mail Merge for bulk email - No FM2R
Be careful, it's horribly easy to get marked down as a spammer.
 Using Mail Merge for bulk email - Robbie34
I use Thunderbird which can mail merge.
 Using Mail Merge for bulk email - Falkirk Bairn
Ensure you put the addresses in the "Blind copy" line and do not let everyone on the list see the thousands of email addresses.

Several well publicised mistakes in Scotland
Medical Centre sent Email sent out to hundreds and their email addresses were there for all to see.
A support group for addicts (drugs ? alcohol?) sent out 100+ letters

Put the addresses in the Bcc line.
And aside from the very good confidentiality reasons, it get's really fun when people start using "Reply All"
>> I have 1300 email addresses and I want to address them personally and not have
>> to send them individually. I can experiment of course when I get time but I'd
>> like to know it's practical, and of any wrinkles.

When you say address them individually, I assume that you mean;

Letter 1: Dear Manatee
Letter 2: Dear FM2R

Essentially, "Dear 'first-name',"

etc. etc.?

Because though that is pretty easy, the hurdle is getting all the names and email addresses into the right, and same, format. Even in, say Outlook contacts which is what I use, people are notoriously bad about getting the fields correct, especially if it has been built up aver a long period of time

How are the addresses held?
Latest Forum Posts