Computer Related > Microsoft Edge problem Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 16

Microsoft Edge problem - Dog
Well, this is an interesting one for ewe on my 10 year-old desktop PC. It's running Windows 10 on which Edge is part of the free download package.

I used to use Edge okay, along with Water/Firefox and Chrome but, a few months ago, Edge would open behind my desktop, so I can't actually see it, apart from a slither on the LH side.

I've contacted Microsoft support (hahaha!) plus searched for an answer, to no avail.

Not the end of the world of course as I can use the other browsers with no trouble at all at all.

It won't let me delete Edge in programs & features, as it's part of Windows 10.

I did find a way to delete (and reinstall it) but it was too technical for me, and I didn't want to muck up my ageing PC.

So what do you reckon? All ideas welcome, preferably clean!
I've just had a close look at this 'ere 'slither' of Edge, and I am wrong to think it's behind my desktop, it just looks like it.

If I left click and hold the slither (1/4 inch) I can slide it left 'til it's gorn, but I can't slide it (expand it) to the right any more than the 1/4 of an inch slither.

Crazy or what :o)
 Microsoft Edge problem - smokie
I've no idea. Just some thoughts though.

Does it behave the same no matter where you open it from, i.e. from a desktop shortcut or the Windows menu etc?

When you say slither, is there anything useful in the slither i.e. is it a taskbar or list or anything identifiable?

Can you highlight the slither, if so try pressing F11.

Does it have an edge that you can hover over and see a resizing arrow, where you drag it open? (Maybe that's what you're trying on your latest post)

Do you remember anything odd happening which may have caused it?
>>Does it behave the same no matter where you open it from, i.e. from a desktop shortcut or the Windows menu etc?

Yep, I've just tried it

>>When you say slither, is there anything useful in the slither i.e. is it a taskbar or list or anything identifiable?

I open click settings, which is usually on the top RH side, but I can't see anything I open.

>>Can you highlight the slither, if so try pressing F11.

Ah, well that's interesting. It opened Edge in full screen, but when I exited full screen it went back to the 1/4 inch slither down the LH side.

>>Does it have an edge that you can hover over and see a resizing arrow, where you drag it open? (Maybe that's what you're trying on your latest post)

Yep, that's what I did.

>>Do you remember anything odd happening which may have caused it?

No, I can't think of anything. I can use it now thanks - in full-screen mode. I'll get on with my other chores and have another play with it later.
>>I can use it now thanks - in full-screen mode

Except that I can't see my favourites bar :)
 Microsoft Edge problem - VxFan
>> Except that I can't see my favourites bar :)

Click on the 3 dots in the top RH corner. and select "settings"

Select "Appearance" on the LH side of the screen.

Scroll down the page and you'll see "Show favourites bar" You can change it to "Always, Never, or Only on new tabs"

Change it to Always.
>>Click on the 3 dots in the top RH corner. and select "settings" ...

Ah, that's it, thanks!. That's the main thing I wanted, to see what I'd put in there, YouTubes mainly.

I still can't see my taskbar, but I mainly use Firefox so that's okay.

Thanks to all - you've all done very well :)
 Microsoft Edge problem - VxFan
>> I still can't see my taskbar, but I mainly use Firefox so that's okay.

Do you mean the MS Edge Icon is missing from the taskbar?

Once Edge is open, right click on the icon in the taskbar and select "pin to taskbar"
>>Do you mean the MS Edge Icon is missing from the taskbar?

All okay now thanks Dave. I've been on-line for 20 years and never knew what F11 did, or any F's FFS!

I'm going to learn though, it's not lazyness, it's just a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

I'm the same with my quite-expensive cameras. Do I use anything apart from from intelligent auto?

Do I eck!
 Microsoft Edge problem - smokie
If you can reach Settings, there is one towards the bottom "Reset settings".

Looks like you will lose cookies and a few bits but could be worth a try.
>>If you can reach Settings, there is one towards the bottom "Reset settings".

>>Looks like you will lose cookies and a few bits but could be worth a try.

Nope, I'm still all or a slither :)

Microsoft Edge problem - tyrednemotional
It just might have been minimised to a point where you can't hit the "maximise" setting or pull it bigger.

With Edge open (albeit only just ;-) ) try right-clicking on a blank area of the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, and select "cascade windows".

Under normal circumstances, this presents all the windows you have open at a set (somewhat minimised) size, and you can then select the window you want.

If it presents the Edge window in this manner, try selecting it, and then maximising it with the symbol top right.

If you get this far, and it does maximise, there is a chance Windows will open it maximised at next invocation.

Far from guaranteed to work, but easy to check.
>>With Edge open (albeit only just ;-) ) try right-clicking on a blank area of the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, and select "cascade windows".

I closed down Firefox and opened Edge using F11 but I can't see my task bar, or favourites.
I'm posting this via Edge so at least I can use it now
>>>With Edge open (albeit only just ;-) ) try right-clicking on a blank area of the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, and select "cascade windows".

Well, of course I can see my taskbar - if I exit fullscreen. I seleted "cascade windows" then restore down, and that's done the job

Thank you!
 Microsoft Edge problem - tyrednemotional
..If you're lucky, now you've got it unminimised, then it should open correctly at next invocation.

...If it doesn't, at least you've got a reasonably easy workaround.
>>If you're lucky, now you've got it unminimised, then it should open correctly at next invocation

Yep, all okay now thanks.
 Microsoft Edge problem - No FM2R
>>Can you highlight the slither, if so try pressing F11.

When in full screen mode I think it gives you the menus automatically if you simply move the mouse pointer to the top of the screen.
Latest Forum Posts