Computer Related > Block Find My Manual Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 26

Block Find My Manual - Ambo
I bought a manual from this outfit in September for a very reasonable £1.49 PDF download but was not warned that doing this automatically enrolls you for a subscription service. I have a host of problems on my mind and did not spot an additional charge of £24.90 from them a few days later. I only woke up to the problem when I had a look at my October account and found another debit of 24.90. I had received nothing in return for these payments

I got the credit card company to block future payments to My Manual. Too late I found the way to deal with this; download your manual and block the company strait away after.
 Block Find My Manual - Duncan
Can't you download the manuals direct from the makers website? That's what I have done with my new Corolla - the infotainment system is a night mare. Designed by someone who did not have English as their first language.
Maybe but it is too late. I have asked for a refund but doubtful of getting it.

I wonder about the legality of their practice.
 Block Find My Manual - Zero
This was the correct way to do it.

findmymanual.com/termination-subscription

Using your credit card company to block stuff you dont like* will eventually end up with the loss of your card.

*You need a valid reason under Sale of Goods, distance selling regs or unfair contract.

Block Find My Manual - Clk Sec
>> Maybe but it is too late. I have asked for a refund but doubtful of
>> getting it.
>>
>> I wonder about the legality of their practice.
>>

If the retailer won't offer you a refund, it might be worth asking your credit company if they will retrieve your £24.90 - assuming you haven't already tried that.
>
>> If the retailer won't offer you a refund, it might be worth asking your credit
>> company if they will retrieve your £24.90 -

Not if its a valid transaction, and its pretty clearly indicated here what the cost is.

Here
findmymanual.com/payment

And the checkout page
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 21 Oct 21 at 14:46
My first move but I was told it was not possible.
Out of sequence. I meant it was not possible for the card company.

But how about the legality of taking money and not supplying anything for it?
>> Out of sequence. I meant it was not possible for the card company.
>>
>> But how about the legality of taking money and not supplying anything for it?

They did, they supplied a manual, and a subscription to download as many as you wanted for a monthly fee. Ok it may be a slightly ambiguous way to get you into a subscription, but its perfectly well indicated and noted clearly next to the price for one manual, and its easy to find a way to cancel it.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 21 Oct 21 at 16:16
 Block Find My Manual - Clk Sec
>>, and its easy to find a way to cancel it.

14 days.
 Block Find My Manual - smokie
Still serves as a useful warning to us all to be wary of what we sign up to, I usually am but we can all be less observant once in a while for one reason or another.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 21 Oct 21 at 16:58
 Block Find My Manual - bathtub tom
>> but we can all be less observant once in a while for one reason or another.

Yup. I've just incurred a fee for using my credit card to withdraw cash. I filled up the car (unusual lately) and drew some cash out of the ATM on the forecourt (another, even rarer event) and inadvertantly used the credit card instead of my bank debit card. Not helped by my bank issuing a new debit card the same colour as my credit card (they were different).
 Block Find My Manual - maltrap
I’ve made the same mistake,once.
My credit card and debit card now have different pins,
Hopefully to prevent the same mistake.
 Block Find My Manual - smokie
Oddly enough SWMBO asked me to day what a £75 payment was on the credit card. I tracked it down to a company where I'd downloaded a seller's receipt form for when I sold my car.

My recollection was that I had to sign up but could cancel within 7 days. I downloaded the form and cancelled.

The credit card had a .76p debit then a .76p credit on the day I did it, which I suppose would have been fine, but then they'd charged me the annual sub for whatever their product is.

They weren't immediately findable on the internet but when I did find them, they had an online chat and within two minutes the problem was fixed. Well, supposedly - the money will take 5 - 7 days to reach my card, though I did get a confirmation email from them that it had been cancelled and would be refunded.

Could easily have been overlooked...
 Block Find My Manual - Stuartli
>>...and inadvertently used the credit card instead of my bank debit card. Not helped by my bank issuing a new debit card the same colour as my credit card (they were different).>>

This has been the case with Lloyds and Halifax for some time (green or blue respectively) and it's very easy to use the wrong card. In the worst case scenario, you have to reset the PIN because you've matched the wrong one with the wrong card....:-(
>> They did, they supplied a manual, and a subscription to download as many as you wanted for
>> a monthly fee.

Legal maybe but a trick nontheless: like, who on earth would want the 33 or so manuals my £49.50 would have bought?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 22 Oct 21 at 19:53
 Block Find My Manual - No FM2R
>>who on earth would want the 33 or so manuals my £49.50 would have bought?

Someone in the trade of fixing them perhaps?

Though you are of course quite correct, they expected people to be careless and did nothing to caution them.
>> >>who on earth would want the 33 or so manuals my £49.50 would have bought?
>>
>> Someone in the trade of fixing them perhaps?

As long as they are correct and good quality, yes they would.

However, there are much more professional sources from manufacturers to the trade. Have you seen how much each car maker charges every month for official service information - its a significant monthly overhead.
 Block Find My Manual - Bromptonaut
>> However, there are much more professional sources from manufacturers to the trade.

Most of the home appliance companies have manuals etc on the web.

Couple of weeks ago I pulled the tumble dryer out to clean around/behind. In doing so I dislodged the condensate drain pipe and could not immediately fathom how to relocate it.

Mrs B, who was out, had put the manual somewhere logical no doubt with those for the washer. cooker etc etc.

The Bosch website came straight up with the goods once I'd found and decoded the maker's plate.

Same with the Zanussi dishwasher when I needed to order parts.
>> >> However, there are much more professional sources from manufacturers to the trade.
>>
>> Most of the home appliance companies have manuals etc on the web.

I'm talking diagnostics, logic states, wiring diagrams.
>> I'm talking diagnostics, logic states, wiring diagrams.

That was understood but the OP seemed to be about manuals for consumer appliances.
>> >> I'm talking diagnostics, logic states, wiring diagrams.
>>
>> That was understood but the OP seemed to be about manuals for consumer appliances.

I am talking consumer appliances. Do you know which of the two thermocouple or heat sensors to change? The exploded parts diagram on the Bosch web site wont tell you
>> I am talking consumer appliances. Do you know which of the two thermocouple or heat
>> sensors to change? The exploded parts diagram on the Bosch web site wont tell you

I've not explored the site Ambo used in detail but it seems to be about User manuals rather than the 'workshop' variety.
>> I've not explored the site Ambo used in detail but it seems to be about
>> User manuals rather than the 'workshop' variety.

Xacly, that brings us nicely to the point Mark made about "professionals" and where you decided to jump in. Pleased you got there in the end, it was a bit of a struggle, but we worked it through.

B- must try harder

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Oct 21 at 17:00
Zedo,

POint taken, it would have been better if I'd not quoted you in what was, once I'd written it, was a generic reply.
 Block Find My Manual - No FM2R
>>I've not explored the site Ambo used in detail

I hadn't but I thought I'd have a quick look. Ambo, I have to say the charging basis seems pretty clear to me and mentioned more than once. It all seems pretty professional actually.

We all make mistakes and so it's always worth reading everything at least twice.
>> I'm talking diagnostics, logic states, wiring diagrams.

In an odd coincidence the dryer I mentioned upthread started showing a reservoir full message. As it drains directly to the waste water that shouldn't happen. The sump was pretty much dry.

A bit of googling led me to a site called Home Owners Hub where there appears to have been an answer. Having extracted the pump unit while the pump itself was free the sensor was gummed up with lint.

A good clean and a mop out of the sump later it seems to be AOK again.
Latest Forum Posts