Non-motoring > Home alarm upgrade Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 18

Home alarm upgrade - legacylad
My domestic burglar alarm is 22yo, installed as a new build.

The back door key pad, used 100% of the time rather than the main control box, has keys which ‘stick’ after non use for several weeks. It takes 10 mins+ poking the keys with the 4 digit code before the alarm turns off ( I always forget the keys on the main control box as I never use it)

All I want is a replacement key pad, but two local alarm installers inform me it isn’t possible....I need a new control panel, keypad, bell box, key fobs ( is that really an upgrade?) and 4 replacement PIRs...cost £380 + VAT.

There was me thinking a squirt of switch spray or new key pad would sort it. What happened to mend and make do ?
 Home alarm upgrade - sooty123
Did they explain why you can't have just the key pad replaced? Is it some reason it can't be done or they don't want to turn up for a small job?
Could you not use the main panel in the meantime?
They both simply stated it ‘couldn’t be done’ and needed an upgrade.

I’m firmly in the camp of if it ain’t broke don’t fix it...and yes, in the meantime, I’ll use the main control panel to enter my 4 digit code to turn off the alarm when I return from extended periods away. If I can remember. Doh.

Or get a lunchtime flight which gets me home late afternoon....I try to avoid early AM flights at my age, especially when leaving rental properties and returning hire cars.
>> They both simply stated it ‘couldn’t be done’ and needed an upgrade.
>>
>> I’m firmly in the camp of if it ain’t broke don’t fix it...and yes, in
>> the meantime, I’ll use the main control panel to enter my 4 digit code to
>> turn off the alarm when I return from extended periods away. If I can remember.
>> Doh.

I'd suggest some tape or a piece of paper over the top of it to remind you it doesn't work.

>> Or get a lunchtime flight which gets me home late afternoon....I try to avoid early
>> AM flights at my age, especially when leaving rental properties and returning hire cars.
>>

How does your flight time affect your alarm?

>> How does your flight time affect your alarm?
>>
Haha
Returning to the U.K. late at night, home in the early hours, and alarm sounding for ten minutes doesn’t impress the neighbours.

I’ll use the little used keys on the master control panel to turn off the alarm henceforth, and tape over the back door keypad when I leave for Spain. Just to remind me upon my return several weeks later.

At which point I’ll take Zs blindingly obvious solution of changing the 4 digit code to use previously unused keys. If I can find the original instruction manual.
( I’ll get home wasted one night and forget the new code. Trust me it will happen)

All replies to my post have been appreciated.
Haha
>> Returning to the U.K. late at night, home in the early hours, and alarm sounding
>> for ten minutes doesn’t impress the neighbours.

I'm not surprised, no offence I think I would have popped round if it was happening often.

>> If I can find the original instruction manual.
>

Have a look on ebay, failing that ask on one of the alarm fitters forums. They'll point you in the right direction.
 Home alarm upgrade - Zero

>> >> If I can find the original instruction manual.

You'll probably find someone has loaded it up on the Internet somewhere. Avoid the fee paying manual sites, usually just clickbait or a con.
 Home alarm upgrade - Ted
>> ( I’ll get home wasted one night and forget the new code. Trust me it
>> will happen)

I put codes in my phone under phone numbers. eg, Al (alarm ) 1234. Birthdays too. EG Fred..277. "27th July.
Works well for my ole brain ! Might need a passer-by to help you if you're wrecked though !

Ted.
Last edited by: Ted on Sun 17 Oct 21 at 12:31

>> I put codes in my phone under phone numbers. eg, Al (alarm )

Good idea
I have key safe codes in my phone of the various rental properties I use on a recurring basis over the years.
I’ll do the same with my own alarm when I change the 4 digit code ( as per Zs suggestion)

In the meantime I’ve emailed the original alarm installation company, asking if they have any old dust covered compatible key pads in their store room. More in hope than anything, but for now I’ll use the pad on the control panel when I depart/return the property.
Have you tried taking it apart and cleaning it?
I did have a look to see if the fascia of the keypad would remove, but it appears to be a sealed unit.
I don’t play with electrickery...
 Home alarm upgrade - tyrednemotional
...keypads are often specific to the panel, and installed together. After 22 years your system is likely to be obsolescent, and a compatible keypad virtually impossible to source (except, possibly, off eBay).

Working PIRs, bell-boxes etc. should be re-usable, but companies often want to install their brand with the bell-boxes.

A panel/keyboard update de minimis should probably work, but I wonder whether they've quoted for replacing a wired system with a wireless one?

I don't like the keyfobs (particularly if held on the same keyring as the house keys). I removes one potential level of protection (that provided by knowing the alarm code) if you drop your keys in the street.
 Home alarm upgrade - Falkirk Bairn
22 years old - I think it is time for change.

There is so much choice available now. Much of it wireless so installation is not an issue and your phone allows control.

I have said before 3 sons have 3 approaches
1) Wired system, alarms & cameras, installed by technicians, monitored / maintenance contract - cost per month is high
2) Wireless system, Premium priced kit (Arlo) + another make? - easy install, works well.
3) Wireless system, Blink & Eufy (Blink is Amazon own product as they bought out the start up company ) Cheap to buy, easy install, works well.
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Sat 16 Oct 21 at 11:18
Keypads are usually individually coded to the control unit, support to recode a new one is probably long gone

However the answer is blindingly simple, change the key code to those pads that don't stick
 Home alarm upgrade - bathtub tom
>> Have you tried taking it apart and cleaning it?

I'd suggest removing the keypad will set off the alarm. How do I know this.......................?
>> >> Have you tried taking it apart and cleaning it?
>>
>> I'd suggest removing the keypad will set off the alarm. How do I know this.......................?

For fairly understandable reasons.
 Home alarm upgrade - Fullchat
Ive recently replaced a wired system in the daughters house with a Honeywell kit. I also replaced all the connection wiring and moved the main control unit into an upstairs airing cupboard.
Installers tend to try and keep as much as possible close to the centre of the house, run the wires for their convenience and as near to the main control unit as they can because of limited access and less disturbance. As I was doing some re wiring and floor boards were up I was able to modify the locations of sensors and panels. All neatly done.
Only issue was that Honeywell stopped doing domestic kits so replacements components could be an issue down the line.
Systems may or may not have tamper circuits wired up which is just a continuous loop of 2 wire colours. The engineering code is required to disable the tamper circuit. This will be different from the user code.
The rechargeable led acid back up batteries have a limited lifespan and in the event of a power cut the alarm will continue to sound as there is no juice to take over from the mains.
Zs idea of changing the user code to operational keys sounds good to me.
The other issue with house alarms is that insurers ask for annual servicing. The annual premium reduction is not a lot and you can bet if you did make a claim they'd be looking at your servicing regime.
It is definitely a line of defence for your property.
If you can ascertain the make of the system you might have a chance for a replacement part. There are only 6 wires of which 2 are tamper circuit and I believe the other circuits are common throughout the industry.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 17 Oct 21 at 21:28
 Home alarm upgrade - tyrednemotional
>> Systems may or may not have tamper circuits wired up which is just a continuous
>> loop of 2 wire colours. The engineering code is required to disable the tamper circuit.
>> This will be different from the user code.

..in many cases, there is a "master" code, and various user codes, discrete from any engineer code. The master code allows a prime householder to change and adjust various options (adding/removing extra user codes, adjusting date/time, checking logs, etc) and also allows reset of a tamper alarm. In my case, it does (and it is required if I have to move such things as PIRs for decorating).

>> The other issue with house alarms is that insurers ask for annual servicing. The annual
>> premium reduction is not a lot and you can bet if you did make a
>> claim they'd be looking at your servicing regime.

...mine is currently borked, awaiting a panel replacement. I've declared such to my Insurance Company as a precaution. My annual premium went up £5.31, and will be reduced again when the (scheduled) replacement is in place.

>>
>>
 Home alarm upgrade - MD
Lying.
Latest Forum Posts