Non-motoring > MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 23

MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - zippy
Sad news indeed.

An attack on our representatives is an attack on us all.
 MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - Rudedog
Sad indeed... not idea of motive.

I guess his replacement will stand unopposed?

MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - zippy
That would be the decent thing to do.
 MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - Dog
>>I guess his replacement will stand unopposed?

A sad loss indeed. He was an all round good egg.

General election 2019: Southend West

Conservative David Amess 27,555 59.2 +4.0

Labour Aston Line 13,096 28.1 -5.9

Lib Dem Nina Stimson 5,312 11.4 +6.9
 MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - No FM2R
>> Sad indeed... not idea of motive.
>>
>> I guess his replacement will stand unopposed?

Bad and appaling for sure, but how is a preordained election a good or democratic thing?
 MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> Bad and appaling for sure, but how is a preordained election a good or democratic
>> thing?
>>

It isn't in general, but when a sitting MP has been murdered because somebody objects to his politics all parties are quite rightly of the opinion that replacing like with like is the corrcet answer to those who use violence instead of the ballot box to get their way.
 MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - Bromptonaut
The major parties did not contest Batley and Spen after Jo Cox was murdered.

However in the cases of four MPs murdered by Irish Nationalists between 1979 and 1990 there were contested elections.

In GB the record is as follows:

Airey Neave's murder was during the 1979 General Election so no byelection followed but the Conservative in Abingdon was opposed at the GE.

A byelection in Enfield Southgate after Anthony Berry died in the Brighton bombing brought Michael Portillo to the Commons.

The Liberals took Eastbourne in the byelection following the murder of Ian Gow in 1990.

Same in NI when Robert Bradford was murdered.

It will be interesting to see whether Batley and Spen is treated as a precedent and the main opposition parties stand aside this time.

I don't think another party would have a serious chance of taking Southend West from the Tories. Amess holding his seat in 1992 was an early indication of Major's eventual victory.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 15 Oct 21 at 22:44
 MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - Zero

>> Bad and appaling for sure, but how is a preordained election a good or democratic
>> thing?

Well, in theory a named person was elected for the term of the parliament, but essentially a party with a manifesto was elected. An unopposed re-election merely fulfils the wishes of the electorate.
 MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - No FM2R
>>An unopposed re-election merely fulfils the wishes of the electorate

If it is the wish of the electorate then why would it need to be unopposed?

If the election would go another way then clearly it is not the wish of the electorate.
Look, at the end of the day the silly sods elected a tory, you can't go round hoping to get rid by murdering one, so they should be stuck with one
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 16 Oct 21 at 00:07
 MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - Terry
An unopposed election demonstrates that politics is a game played by gentlemen (and ladies of course). A political ally can carry forward the work of the brutally murdered.

This is of course untrue - politics is mostly about dog eat dog, ambition, control, arrogance and egotism. To provide balance - some may be motivated by the good of community and country.

If the election is opposed unsuccessfully (as likely in this case) it proves nothing. If opposed and won a victory may be seen and painted as opportunistic, unprincipled etc - lots of bad PR.

On balance far better to pretend to be gentlemen, as an opposition victory will make no difference to what happens in government anyway. Were the Tories operating on a majority of 3 the conclusion may be different!
Seems some of the background to the killer are coming out...

Maybe a bit coincidental that in the same week we've had another multiple killing in Norway... I think he used knives as well.

It had all the hallmarks of a religious nut
 MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - Bromptonaut
>> Maybe a bit coincidental that in the same week we've had another multiple killing in
>> Norway... I think he used knives as well.

I thought I heard that was bow and arrows.
Thanks... I knew it was something other than guns.. very medieval.
I see petty Patel has promised swift measures, reports and enquiries to protect MP's.

Swifter it seems than the same to protect Women from the Police.

I am constantly amazed (should'nt be I know) by the levels of duplicity, self importance and selfishness displayed by those elected.

MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - Lygonos
Chill Zed - she has sorted the Channel immigration problem.

Bwahahahaaaa.... Boris surrounds himself with gimps more gimpy than himself. Has Patel actually managed any positive actions in her time as an MP?
>> Chill Zed - she has sorted the Channel immigration problem.
>>
>>
>> Bwahahahaaaa.... Boris surrounds himself with gimps more gimpy than himself. Has Patel actually managed any
>> positive actions in her time as an MP?

yeah, she has positively P***ed off everyone who has worked for her.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 17 Oct 21 at 18:33
 MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - sooty123
What happened with that senior CS that put the bullying claim in? I vaguely remember it, about 2 years ago wasn't it?
 MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - tyrednemotional
>> What happened with that senior CS that put the bullying claim in? I vaguely remember
>> it, about 2 years ago wasn't it?
>>

Philip Ruttnam? Govt settled out of court for something rumoured to be North of £1/3M. (Whistleblowing, rather than straightforward constructive dismissal)
Aye that were him, payout to make it all go away I assume.
 MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - tyrednemotional
I'm not going back to check, but I think I said at the time that it wouldn't be financially attractive to pursue straightforward constructive dismissal (as the payout is capped), but whistleblowing is a different kettle of fish.

If/when he pursued the matter, then the offer of o-o-c settlement was fairly predictable.
>> I see petty Patel has promised swift measures, reports and enquiries to protect MP's.
>>
>> Swifter it seems than the same to protect Women from the Police.
>>
>> I am constantly amazed (should'nt be I know) by the levels of duplicity, self importance
>> and selfishness displayed by those elected.
>>
>

I do wonder when they come out with statements like this that anything will actually be done apart from some poor CS having to produce a report that may as well be bog roll.
 MP for Southend West Sir David Amess Murdered - Kevin
dilbert.com/strip/2021-10-15
Latest Forum Posts