Non-motoring > Eating one's words Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 9

Eating one's words - No FM2R
>> I'd agree with the thrust of that. I don't like The Times, even without the
>> additional consideration of my enmity for all things Murdoch, but it's a starting point.

I assure that you'd like him a great deal less if you'd met him.

>> The trick is to let the media be a guide, a starter for ten if you like, and follow up to sources
>> like Hansard, Court Judgements, research reports etc etc.

You are quite correct, of course, but it seems that persuading the people generally to care very much about the veracity of their reading, never mind putting much effort into it, is an impossible struggle.

Having been here for a while now, and looking at the UK with fresh eyes, my conclusion is this; The UK is a pretty damned good place, by and large run pretty damned well, and life over all is mostly good.

That does not mean there is not suffering or inequity, but that there are good people fighting it.

The media, however, is a disgrace. It exists to criticise, find fault with, whine and sensationalise. It never stops to emphasise all the disasters around the next corner and causes things such as petrol panic buying, and then proceeds to revel in it.

People generally are far nicer and far less radical than the media woudl have you believe, and the country is far better.

The UK is a good place, and not just because I have lived in worse, but because it is genuinely a good place. People seem to delight in whining about how awful it is, but it isn't.

Much as I dislike all politicians, I place much/most of the blame at the feet of the media.

Last edited by: smokie on Wed 13 Oct 21 at 14:43
 Messages Author Date
 Eating one's words new zippy 12 Oct 21 01:06
 Eating one's words new Terry 12 Oct 21 02:05
 Eating one's words new James Loveless 12 Oct 21 17:40
 Eating one's words new PeterS 13 Oct 21 10:47
 Eating one's words new Bromptonaut 13 Oct 21 11:04
 Eating one's words new PeterS 13 Oct 21 11:20
 Eating one's words new No FM2R 13 Oct 21 13:28
 Eating one's words new Bromptonaut 13 Oct 21 13:49
 Eating one's words new No FM2R 13 Oct 21 13:58
 Eating one's words new Zero 13 Oct 21 14:14