Non-motoring > Apache's - Something up? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 21

Apache's - Something up? - Zero
Two Army A64 Apache choppers, looking like having fully loaded missile booms, just flown low and fast over my place headed south east towards gatwick. Flight radar says its Gunship 1 and gunship 2 callsigns.
 Apache's - Something up? - zippy
A few years ago I was visiting a client in Bracknell (somewhere round there) and two Chinooks flew past very low and very fast.

The guy I was visiting said “That’ll be for trouble in Town.”

He was right, it was one of the terrorist attacks in London.

I guess they go on standby in case an incident escalates beyond the capacity of the Met to deal with.

Missed the edit…

The Apaches seem to have originated from Gloucester Airport and picked up the M3 then
M25.

They’re just east of Guildford at the moment so I guess they’re after Insulate Britain protesters! :-)

>> They’re just east of Guildford at the moment so I guess they’re after Insulate Britain
>> protesters! :-)
>
Excelent, I'l look for the hellfire missile explosions and the sound of the 30mm chain gun.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 7 Oct 21 at 17:06
 Apache's - Something up? - Falkirk Bairn
Just before the Gulf War 2 American Warthogs flew low & fast over me as I drove towards Inverness.

Nearly caused heart attack
Flight of F111s taking off in 1980s when I was visiting a USAF airbase for work.

The person I was with invited me to an on base viewing spot.

They sound was so massive it took over all senses. Indescribable. Even with ear protection.
 Apache's - Something up? - smokie
I did some server work at Dunsfold (I think) back in the 1990s or 200s. In a temporary nissan hut type thing IIRC, outside which they were testing and measuring the ascent, descent andhovering capability of a vertical take off jet. All b***** day!
 Apache's - Something up? - sooty123
One whole day eh ;-)
 Apache's - Something up? - Bromptonaut
>> Flight of F111s taking off in 1980s when I was visiting a USAF airbase for
>> work.

Apart from the US the other major operator of the F-111 was the Australian Air Force.

On a few occasions they brought one over to the UK and displayed it at, amongst other places, RIAT Fairford. The particular party trick with that aircraft was that if the fuel dump valve was opened while the afterburners were on it could do a creditable imitation of a blow torch. Performed to a tune over the PA about a Kangaroo called Sydney.

Think the year I saw it was 93; same show where a Russian formation pair collided and the pilots banged out.
 Apache's - Something up? - neiltoo
Saw an English Electric Lightning do that at Broughton Air Show - must be 50 to 60 years ago.
It took off, and at "rotate" turned everything on in a vertical climb. We all got to share the noise, which was obscene, but it was magnificent.
We could see right up the tail pipes - if you know what I mean.

Thanks for prompting the memory.

8o)
 Apache's - Something up? - stan10
" .. visiting a client in Bracknell (somewhere round there) and two Chinooks flew past ..."

" .. 2 American Warthogs flew low & fast over me .."

I often used the M3 between Bracknell and Basingstoke in the past, Chinooks were a common sight overhead, usually in pairs, - thumping great (and distinctive) engine noise.

Memory fades, but i remember taking a Pseudo Rally (road) car to the East of the country (Norfolk ?) for a suspension upgrade (boy racer days !)

There must have been an American airbase somewhere near because driving home after picking up my car i saw two A10's in the near distance - wow - i parked up and watched them approach landing - always interested in military aircraft i knew the capability of these things, and just the sight of them made my blood run cold, imagining being on the receiving end of their
firepower, they looked invincible.

Probably like looking Mike Tyson in the eyes !
 Apache's - Something up? - tyrednemotional
...better circle your wagon(s).....
 Apache's - Something up? - R.P.
Down the valley (where we were before) was a sort of a route out of the Mach Loop, so all kinds of flyin ironmongery went past, either a noise and a signature on Flightradar or in full view, the most awesome was an Osprey at 500 feet, 8 miles up the road, we see or hear very little.
 Apache's - Something up? - No FM2R
Surprised nobody mentioned the apostrophe.
 Apache's - Something up? - Clk Sec
>> Surprised nobody mentioned the apostrophe.

Duncan must be on another of his holiday's.
 Apache's - Something up? - No FM2R
That must of been it.
You are a bit slow, you could of, no, should of mentioned it much earlier.
 Apache's - Something up? - Duncan
Holiday? Whats that. We never tyre in our strive for perfection.

Was it a missing, or a greengrocers apostrophe. We work twice as hard for greengrocer's.
 Apache's - Something up? - Kevin
An Augusta Westland AW189 just gone overhead fast at a reported 1200ft.
Flight track shows it leaving Regent's Park.
 Apache's - Something up? - Bobby
We are presently holidaying in Aberdeenshire.

On a visit to Craigellachie yesterday we were treated to a typhoon doing gymnastics in the sky directly above us.

Very loud and very spectacular!
Tracking stopped over Torquay about 100 ft above a school playing field there.

Delivering someone to hospital perhaps?
 Apache's - Something up? - Kevin
Could be.

I only posted because it was unusual at that time of night and he was going at a fair speed. I think the reported height was a bit generous too. I'd have guessed at a good bit less than 1000ft.
Latest Forum Posts