Non-motoring > Replacing a dual fuel cooker / gas availability Green Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 16

Replacing a dual fuel cooker / gas availability - zippy
Our cooker has died and is beyond economic repair - parts are just not available.

It's a range cooker and replacements are eye wateringly expensive.

We also have to keep to a unit that uses <= 8kw. so a dual fuel one generally fits the bill.

I never purchased one before so don't really know what I should be looking for.

I am also concerned that gas availability might be a problem given the news to ban gas boilers etc in the future.

Am I planning too far ahead and should I get the dual fuel one now or should I get some re-wiring done and order an all electric?
(8kw because the fuse / wiring is 32amp - I wasn't here when the sparky came.)
 Replacing a dual fuel cooker / gas availability - No FM2R
Replacing wiring isn't a difficult or expensive job.

p.s. isn't 32amp closer to 7kw?
 Replacing a dual fuel cooker / gas availability - Falkirk Bairn
I would not worry about a lack of gas in the foreseeable future.
Oil & Gas will still be 50% of the world energy use in 2050.
It might not be North Sea gas but it will be natural gas from somewhere.

Hydrogen is "pie in the sky" - huge cost to make from windmill power and still a very high cost to burn natural gas and store the exhaust fumes

A son upgraded his cooker to a range cooker - they installed new consumer unit (fuse box in old parlance) and ran a new cable as the cooker was moved to another spot in the enlarged kitchen - consumer unit, cabling & time was £280 3 years ago.
 Replacing a dual fuel cooker / gas availability - Terry
Leaving aside the design aspect - some may regard a range cooker as the "bees knees", I regard gas as unnecessarily difficult to clean and don't like them.

We recently upgraded from a ceramic to induction hob. No comparison - the new hob is as responsive as a gas hob to the temperature set. A flat sheet of glass is minimal effort to maintain.

For the oven - it make zero difference whether it is gas or electric.
 Replacing a dual fuel cooker / gas availability - Zero
Gas is not an issue and wont be for your lifetime (as long as you have it to the house) and most of us have our cookers on a 30 amp dedicated spur, its not an issue.

So the only issues you need to consider are the space it fits in, the useablitiy and the function you require. I have an electric dual oven, and a gas hob.

Whats the footprint you need?

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 6 Oct 21 at 19:53
The present cooker is 117cm, a non standard size from a manufacturer that no longer sells to the UK (RosieresPaul Bocuse). It’s from 1985 so we’ll used.

Thinking of replacing it with a dual fuel Rangemaster.

I understand the benefits of a ceramic hob but the mains will na take it Captain!
Given that nothing is going to slot straight in, do you need a range cooker? its pretty niche and used by enthusiastic cooks and bakers who prepare lots of food.

I would be thinking a kitchen re-config and a standard 60cm unit.
 Replacing a dual fuel cooker / gas availability - smokie
I think my induction hob is plugged into a normal 13A socket...
If it is, its pretty unusual, and wont have many cooking "rings"
 Replacing a dual fuel cooker / gas availability - Ted
Our induction hob certainly is. It was fitted by the supplier and has given no problems, apart from me not knowing how to work it. But then, I have staff for that ! It has 4 rings.
Ted
Last edited by: Ted on Wed 6 Oct 21 at 21:49
 Replacing a dual fuel cooker / gas availability - smokie
My Bosch one has 4 rings too and I thought it was into a 13A socket but I could be wrong.
From Bosch

Plug & Play induction hobs are easily installed into an existing plug socket. It’s worth noting that as these products are plugged into mains electric, the nominal power is limited to 3.7kW. This means when cooking with more than two pots at the same time, the hob triggers an automatic power management, which may be inconvenient for large households that frequently cook larger meals with many pots at the same time. For higher power output, please select a hob without plug/with fixed wiring.
>> Our induction hob certainly is. It was fitted by the supplier and has given no
>> problems, apart from me not knowing how to work it. But then, I have staff
>> for that ! It has 4 rings.
>> Ted

Well ted me ole son, I can tell you that if you power up all 4 "rings" it cuts power down to some or all of them.
 Replacing a dual fuel cooker / gas availability - Terry
The aggregate power need for all rings may be ~7KW assuming they are all on max.

Reality is that at any one time even if all rings are in use, some will be on low or simmer. So you won't even know that the power being drawn may only be between 1-3KW

A bit like a car - there may be 200bhp under the bonnet. Only rarely are all those horses used 4-6000rpm accelerating hard. 50-60bhp is used at 70-80 mph on the motorway. Blips up to 100bhp may get used to overtake or pull on to a roundabout sharply!
 Replacing a dual fuel cooker / gas availability - Timeonmyhands
There is a formula for diversity something like 10 amps plus 30% of he total load.
John Ward on YouTube covered this, explains things well.
Last edited by: Timeonmyhands on Thu 7 Oct 21 at 12:57
 Replacing a dual fuel cooker / gas availability - Bromptonaut
FWIW we have fitted Bosh appliances, a full size fan oven and a second oven cum microwave; both run off a 13amp socket (1 each).
Latest Forum Posts