Motoring Discussion > Mallorca Car Hire Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 8

Mallorca Car Hire - maltrap
We’re off to Mallorca in October (hopefully) can anyone recommend a budget car hire company,
The main players seem far too expensive.
 Mallorca Car Hire - smokie
The one LL put me onto is always cheap for Portugal and, I think, Spain.

www.doyouspain.com

However rental costs seem really high for next spring for some reason. They do very quite a bit on that site so it's worth making sure you book with free cancellation.

And if you are going for a number of weeks it is worth trying alternative ways if you can be bothered - e.g. for a four week hol try two two weeks rather than a whole block. Sometimes saves quite a bit.

And of courser their excess insurance is diabolically expensive so get your own before you go. I've used www.insurance4carhire.com/ and one year had to claim (about £500) and it went well.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 9 Sep 21 at 18:39
 Mallorca Car Hire - legacylad
Pal of mine flew out to Mallorca this AM and collected a hire car. I’m not sure how long he’s away for but on his return I’ll find out and post here.

Another pal flew to Malaga, same airport, LBA, within 30 minutes of his flight.
Both reported that transit both ends ‘was a doddle’.

I imagine they’re enjoying better weather than the current ongoing thunderstorm here in the Dales.

Agree with everything smokie says, but the days of €15/20 car hire for two weeks are long gone. On my previous 8/12 week trips I changed the car every two weeks....sometimes they let me keep the same car, just a new contract.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 9 Sep 21 at 18:46
maltrap
Friends now home from Mallorca. These are their hire details :-
RecordGo booked through Holiday Extras. £97.18 for 8 days. Clio.
8% cash back booking through Quidco.
He has his own CDW policy via Moneymaxim comparison site. £13.98 thru Eversure.
Hope that helps.

I’m borrowing a friends car for 45 days....he’s ok’d it with his Spanish insurer.
Otherwise I’d be paying a chuffing load of money to DoYouSpain. No more €20/40 fortnightly rentals these days ! It will cost me a few pints of Mahou. Or even a barrel of.

When I go out late February 2022 for my next tranche of 45 days I’ll reassess rental prices and possibly take my own car.
 Mallorca Car Hire - Bobby
Ah, but what will “my own car” be by then?????
 Mallorca Car Hire - smokie
This morning I repriced my Portuguese rental next week for 4 weeks. More or less doubled in cost since I booked it over a year ago.
With DYS, three rental periods over 45 days, my own insurance, would currently be €680.

Similar period last year it was €110. Identical T & Cs. Own insurance, full to full fuel.

At least flights are cheap. £95 return with Jet2, with decent flight times. Ryanair are cheaper but unsociable flight times.

Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 28 Sep 21 at 17:15
>> Ah, but what will “my own car” be by then?????
>>
No idea !
Car rental prices appear to be dropping as new vehicles appear on the hire fleets...

A friend joined me earlier this week, flying into Alicante. Through the broker DYS, he got a delivery miles Clio with OK Cars, €234 for 24 days. His own CDW policy, not using their insurance, and €1500 blocked on his credit card for damage.

That’s still a lot more than usual...were used to paying €20/40 every 2 weeks, but it was the best deal at the moment. He started booking his rental about 3 months ago, always with free cancellation, then as prices dropped he’d cancel and rebook.

Local car hire companies where I’m staying have quoted me circa€1k for 6 weeks commencing mid February 2022. I’ll be using DYS, hopefully just one changeover during that period. Decided on flying now, £110 return with sensible flight times, rather than £650+ sailing to Santander.

Current loan car is a 2006 Megane cabrio. A total shed, loaned by a friend. Intermittent warning lights, checked out by local garage who told me it was a result of dodgy electrics, but fine to drive. Daren’t put the roof down just in case it doesn’t go back up !
Latest Forum Posts