Non-motoring > Porridge Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 11

Porridge - legacylad
Returned from a decent walk, slumped in front of TV fatigued.....first thing on TV was Porridge. The opening credits came with a spoken warning....”contains outdated humour and discriminatory language”. FFS.
 Porridge - VxFan
It's happening to all the old TV favourites. At least from what you're saying, it sounds like they have left in the "offensive" stuff and not ended up on the cutting room floor.
 Porridge - No FM2R
Surely that's actually quite a reasonable approach? Better than pretending it either didn't happen or ignoring that it is no longer appropriate?

Personally I think Porridge as in any case aged badly.
 Porridge - legacylad
I watched 5 mins and turned off the box. Aged badly. Porridge. Not me.

Decided to get a takeaway curry and put a few bottles of Oakham Citra in the fridge to wash it down.
 Porridge - bathtub tom
>>Decided to get a takeaway curry

You can't say that nowadays, as, apparently, it's offensive to the cuisine of Asian countries.

;>)
 Porridge - BiggerBadderDave
"it's offensive to the cuisine of Asian countries"

My favourite dish ever is a Lamb Balti. Best thing they ever invented.

Well done, Brummies. No offence.
 Porridge - Zero
>> >>Decided to get a takeaway curry
>>
>> You can't say that nowadays, as, apparently, it's offensive to the cuisine of Asian countries.
>>
>> ;>)

as Curry is an anglicised word, it has no meaning to Asian countries. And the Curry we now have is a pretty western dish anyway. So thats all ok then
 Porridge - No FM2R
This approach to attracting attention by claiming third party offence is tiresome.

No doubt you recall the horror as various politically correct, attention seeking irritants panicked because it's Bejing not Peking?

Well how come they have never berated the Chinese for "Lúndūn"? Or perhaps had a strong word with India about pheesh phry with lemon and mustard.

Who cares? It nonsense for the sake of nonsense.
 Porridge - zippy
>>
>> Personally I think Porridge as in any case aged badly.
>>

I love it. It's generally innocent and timeless humour or a bloke raging against the system and because it's a prison where there is little in the way of modern accoutrements then there is little to visually age it IMHO.
 Porridge - Zero

>> Personally I think Porridge as in any case aged badly.

Not by me, Its classic humour and superb writing, like Flowery t***s
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 14 Aug 21 at 21:41
 Porridge - No FM2R
I don't think I was ever a huge fan of Porridge.

I was a huge fan of FT but I find that even that isn't very funny these days.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 14 Aug 21 at 22:25
 Porridge - Manatee
Very funny and quite innocent. I suppose there are some stereotypes but I don't recall any toe-curling bits. "Dated" isn't really a criticism of a series that is over 40 years old. One of my favourites.
Latest Forum Posts