Computer Related > Can a laptop on a wireless network snoop Computing Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 15

Can a laptop on a wireless network snoop - zippy
on other devices?

E.g. see what's attached to the router, see what sites are being visited and read the content of the sites visited - e.g. what's posted to those sites by other users?

I don't think it's possible but have been told it is.
 Can a laptop on a wireless network snoop - No FM2R
Yes, 100% technically possible.

But in the real world in which you and I inhabit with ordinary people like ourselves, never going to happen.

You're always more likely to get caught out by dodgy stuff in an email than someone using that level of technology against you.
 Can a laptop on a wireless network snoop - Kevin
>on other devices?

To some extent, Yes.

>E.g. see what's attached to the router,

It depends how the router is configured but almost without exception Yes, very easily because no-one, absolutely no-one but high security sites, lock down network clients to specific endpoints. ie Outgoing connections via VPN only and no access to anything else but the router.
There's even a free utility/app available called "Fing" to see what else is connected to the network so you don't have to write your own. It will give you the device, manufacturer, ip address, mac address, hostname etc. Install it on your phone and give it a try.

>.. see what sites are being visited and read the content of the sites visited - e.g. what's posted to those sites by other users?

Network adapters can be switched to what's called "promiscuous mode" where it will report every single packet it sees being transmitted irrespective of who the sender or receiver is. All you have to do then is interpret the fields in the packet.
As usual there's already an open source utility available that will do it all for you. It's called "Wireshark" and it's very, very comprehensive. I've used it quite a lot.

The difficult part is getting around the encryption so, while I would say Yes - it is "possible" to see what data is being sent and received, for all intents and purposes it is impractical.
 Can a laptop on a wireless network snoop - Kevin
I should add that if you do install Fing, the next time you are in an airport start it up and see how many "Chardonnays IPhone" you can count.
 Can a laptop on a wireless network snoop - Zero
Yes, once you get into someone router its usually open season.
 Can a laptop on a wireless network snoop - smokie
IIRC Zippy works for a bank and when I did the same this, wot Kevin said, was true when I was VPNd in from home from my own PC ( and presumably was in the office too on a laptop)

"...high security sites, lock down network clients to specific endpoints. ie Outgoing connections via VPN only and no access to anything else but the router."

I couldn't print or store stuff on my NAS or do anything locally, including using any USB devices. The machine within the VPN was totally locked down.

They monitored sending to external email addresses, such that I had to explain a few times why I was mailing some of the bank's IT directors and staff in Africa, who I'd have thought ought to have been on the white list. I can't remember about internet browsing but I feel that must have been a no-no.

Having typed all that I'm not about to delete it, but apologise that it's not entirely relevant to the OP's question!!
 Can a laptop on a wireless network snoop - Bromptonaut
Sitting with a friend in a Youth Hostel Common room a few years ago, both of us catching up on personal email etc. He pointed out that he could see my machine on the network and open a folder of photos that was normally shared on my home network.
Ok thanks all.

That’s interesting.

The reason for asking, was that someone (not me) has been pulled up for their internet usage.

Own broadband. Own laptop. Work laptop for work stuff. Never uses work laptop for personal stuff.

Apparently work could see a lot of details about what the person was surfing and took issue with a number of sites visited.

I have a huge problem with this as several people use the home broadband for personal and work reasons including Master Zippy who is working from home for another co and Miss Zippy who writes up her medical reflections (not patient notes) from home.

>>Apparently work could see a lot of details about what the person was surfing and took issue with a number of sites visited.

Well, no offence, but I expect he's lying to you. Or at least misrepresenting the facts. Aside from the sheer unlikeliness and difficulty no company with any sense would pull him up on that. They would be just asking to end up in court and on the front page of the Daily Mail.

Mis-interpreted the facts is likely. This came from a managers “cascade” meeting re company news so it could be Chinese whispers (are we allowed to attribute whispers to the Chinese - does it offend?).

(Our internal Chinese walls for deals where both companies in a takeover are clients are now called Sand Boxes!)

There would be so many privacy issues.
Last edited by: zippy on Thu 5 Aug 21 at 11:29
>> Mis-interpreted the facts is likely. This came from a managers “cascade” meeting re company news
>> so it could be Chinese whispers (are we allowed to attribute whispers to the Chinese
>> - does it offend?).

What's the situation with webcams or other 'spyware'* the employer might use to verify people are actually working?

If somebody employed and remunerated to to x is faffing round on the internet in the firm's time they can expect to be pulled up.

* There have been a number of press reports of employers using fairly oppressive techniques to check up on people WFH during the pandemic.
>>What's the situation with webcams or other 'spyware'* the employer might use to verify people are actually working?

They'd better be damned sure it was in the rules and previously both clearly specified and agreed. The privacy issues of catching someone naked or with someone they shouldn't be, or their child or so many different things don't bear thinking about.
>> They'd better be damned sure it was in the rules and previously both clearly specified
>> and agreed.

When I posted about employer 'spyware' I recalled reading something in the last few months. At the time I could not recall when nor succeed in a search.

Turns out it was back in March and what is essentially the same story resurfaced in the papers today:

www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/08/call-centre-uk-firms-accused-intrusively-monitoring-home-workers-teleperformance

The original report is here:

www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/26/teleperformance-call-centre-staff-monitored-via-webcam-home-working-infractions

It would seem that the outfit concerned have no scruples about using this tech but recognise legal and or practical difficulties in using it in the UK.

The Guardian, which has reported the story, appears to use the outfit to answer its own calls.
>>www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/26/teleperformance-call-centre-staff-monitored-via-webcam-home-working-infractions

I find this extremely irritating. Aside from being an intrusion, it is entirely pointless, utterly counter-productive and can only be considered to cover management inadequacy.

People should be measured on performance and effectivity, not time-keeping. And this is just another form of time-keeping management. As I have said before, managers will manage the most complicated thing they understand and in this case that is clearly time management, effectivity being entirely too complex for them.

How stupid to risk breaking the law for something you don't actually need to do anyway.

There are many workers in the world that need to improve of course, but for consistent failure you really need management.
Sounds like scare-mongering from someone who should know better.

I should avoid your customers hearing about this, even though it's not true. Can you imagine the reaction? Perhaps someone should set the record officially straight?

Can a laptop on a wireless network snoop - Zero
you can make both secure from snooping by your employer.

I doubt very much if the employer has sniffed the home network and checked packet contents, - its strictly not allowed if its your own BB, chances are, despite denials he has used the work laptop, which is probably on a VPN.
Latest Forum Posts